Oceana vs Princess Grand Class

ourlol

I am tentatively beginning to think about my holiday for 2006. Recent cruises have been in the Med with Princess. Their itineraries for next year only repeat what we have done in the past and whilst the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sort of applies, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to try something new.

How does the Oceana compare to the Grand/Golden/Star Princess? I will be travelling with my husband, my teenager daughter (14) and a friend for her. This in itself seems strange as for the first time I will be travelling without my eldest sons (will I have a house to come back too.... eeek).

I would be planning on sailing at the end of July or Aug (during the UK school summer holidays). Is this ship suitable for families?

Laura

Not sure what is is exactly that you are asking.

Have sailed on Golden Princess (Grand class), and Sun Princess (sister to Oceana), and both are nice ships.

I prefer the Sun class, as they are smaller and easier to get about. If going for a mini-suite, the Sun class has the best in the fleet - almost as large as a full suite on the Grand class.

The Grand class has more "bells and whistles", as they are newer, if that is important to you.

Druke 1,

Apologies if I didn't make myself very clear, I am trying to get some comparisons between the two lines i.e. compare P&O on the Oceana as opposed to Princess on a Grand class ship.

What would be the main differences between the two, the atmosphere on board etc.

Laura

Well, it has been a long time since I have been on P&O ship (1970, original Oriana), but gross generalization:

Princess more casual, with greater variety of food, more relaxed.

P&O, a traditional experience, somewhat staid, with an English menu.

Of course, P&O Austrlia is a completely different division - and a lot of Aussies have sailed all three divisions - I'll let them chime in.

I have sailed on both Dawn Princess (Caribbean) and Oceana, which are identical sister ships.

The difference really comes down to national flavour, and whether you want a predominantly British experience, or an American one. We thought the food was better on Oceana, but that may be because it was British oriented. Entertainment was about on a par (not P&O/Princess's strongest suit anyway to be brutally honest), but again the P&O ship's was unashamedly aimed at UK tastes. Both ships however ,having been built for the US market, have a lack of adequate watering holes for our liking -- often difficult to find a seat for a pre dinner drink.

Other than that not a lot to choose between them -- both excellent ships, and well run in the P&O tradition.

Archived