Tours from Le Havre without having to book in advance???

Meggie10

With the extremely high prices being asked for by the cruise lines, I am trying to see if I can book a tour locally without having to book in advance (i.e. On the day). All the websites I have found want you to book in advance. I'm sure it must be possible. Does anyone know if there are mini-buses or vans waiting on the quay?

We will be in Le Havre on September 7 & 8 and will be wanting to tour the Normandy Landing Beaches and the English and American Cemeteries.

Thank you in advance :)

As a general rule you cannot depend on finding a private tour at the port. There will be some taxis and those drivers would be happy to take you on any tour itinerary you please....but these drivers are not professional guides and many speak very limited English. I suggest you get active on your cruise's Roll Call board and see if you can get together with some others to reduce the price of a private tour. You need to understand that the Normandy Beaches and Cemetery are more then 90 miles (each way) from the port....so you are not going to be able to do this on the cheap. The lowest cost way of doing it would be to simply rent a car and drive yourself (this would get the cost down to about $150),

Hank

Just there last month and there were taxis offering rides to the city center and to the train/bus station, but no tour operators at the cruise terminal. I also noted that roll call members wanting to go to the D-Day beaches were disappointed because all the local tour operators as well as the ship's tours to that area were fully booked well in advance of our sailing. So, if this is a must-see and you want a guided tour, you may want to consider an advance reservation with others from your roll call. It's a very popular excursion.

Archived