PG appropriate for less abled?

ccqueenanne

My mother LOVES to snorkel and I'm researching vacation options for her/us. She is relatively young (60) but with a degenerative disease that causes muscle weakness. She is unsteady on her feet, though fine, if slower, with her cane. She is fine going up and down ladders on snorkeling excursions, but she can't swim fast, it is better if she can just paddle around vs swimming from Point A to Point B with a group.

We did a Caribbean cruise 6 months ago with Regent and it was fantastic - she did fine on the excursions, the crew was great - helped carry her plate at the buffet, etc. As long as she can grab an elbow getting on and off excursion and tender boats, she manages.

I'm trying to get in as many good vacations as possible while she is still mobile. Would PG be appropriate, or do you need to be in fantastic shape? Would she feel out of place with her cane?

I had ruled out FP due to the long flight, but even getting to Cozumel for a land vacation requires an overnight flight from the West Coast, so FP shouldn't be that much worse.

Thoughts/advice?

No problems but I would stick with a 7 night cruise as all of the stops are within the lagoon which means the ship is more stable when your trying to go up and down the stairs to the tenders.

I would also advise not to do any drift snorkel tours that have fast moving water. I would recommend Christopher's lagoon tour on Bora Bora as they really hand hold people if need be, very safe organization. Along with Motu Mahana and the nice Motu on Bora Bora you should have enough lagoon time in the water.

Your mother will feel just fine on board even with her cane ;)

Archived