Anything to do in Olden, Norway?

Before setting off on our Iceland/Norway cruise next month I ordered a guide book which I hoped would have rather more useful maps of our destinations than Celebrity usually provide plus some things to do while there.

Olden does not even feature in the index so I am assuming that there is not a lot going on there.

If anybody who has been on this cruise could let me know their experiences I would be very grateful.

Its quite a few years since we've been to Olden, it was on an Iceland/Fjords cruise, and what I do remember was the wonderful sail in, early morning - something not to be missed and something I'll remember for a very long time.

Anyway, back to your original question. From memory, I don't think there is an awful lot to do in Olden, it's more of a 'base' to get to other places. I think there is quite an impressive glacier nearby, and when we were there we did the trip to Geirangerfjord. This I would highly recommend if you haven't been there before. The coach trip was brilliant (not for the travel sick mind you, very windy steep roads), the scenery amazing, and Geirangerfjord itself is one of my favourite places in Norway.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.

Lou

We just got off the Connie this morning from a 12 day Fjord cruise. Olden is very small and we were glad we had signed up for an excursion. We did a bus and boat tour on Lake Leon and the glacier. The boat trip on Lake Leon was spectacular. It's very scenic and serene. We were the only boat on the lake. Highly recommended. There is not much to do on your own in Olden.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were in Olden last year on Queen Victoria. You're right, it's a bit of a "one horse town" with very little near the dock, though there was a tourist office if you want to wait until you land. By the dock you can get a local bus which will take you to Briksdal glacier - about 10NEK I think. It's not an obvious bus stop, but there are sure to be others from your ship who will be doing the same, and the bus knows where to stop + the driver will speak English!!! The bus will take you up through the valley to a car park where you then walk (c40mins each way) to the glacier tail. It's a lovely walk, not too taxing, but if you have mobility issues there is a "Troll car" (additional fee) that can get you most of the way there. If you do walk there's a waterfall that you have to pass, so bring a waterproof as, if the wind's in the wrong direction, you'll get wet! There's a gift shop, cafe and toilets in the car park and the bus will be there waiting to bring you back to the ship. Try googling "Briksdal glacier" and you'll find a number of sites you can visit for more information.

Enjoy the trip and do try the bus - for a fraction of the price of a ship's tour!!!

Not a lot to do in Olden. We were back on the ship in time for lunch. Everything seems to be owned and operated by the same family, which isn't a problem, but does add to the one-horse town feel.

You can take the little noddy train to the glacier and hop off at the shopping centre on the way back. But things there aren't cheap. Wal-Mart it ain't.

Down by the quay there were a couple of young chaps selling helicopter rides over the glacier, which would be my choice next time.

It really is a beautiful spot though, so if you have good legs and fancy a walk I'll bet it's worth striking out.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think the bus trip to the glacier seems the most likely idea. There doesn't seem to be an excursion involving the boat trip on the lake unfortunately and the ships excursion to the glacier is both expensive (obviously) and described as "strenuous" - not a favourite word :D.

We will be taking our walking boots and our waterproofs.

Could I ask how long the bus trip takes please?

I'm sure this isn't for everyone but when we were there a couple of years ago we rented bicycles and rode to the Briksdal glacier. It's about 21 kms each way and the ride was fantastic. Although you ride along the main road to the Glacier the traffic isn't bad and people there tend to slow down when they see bicycles.

You ride by two lakes and lots of areas to stop and enjoy the sites. We stopped at the glacier and had a quick lunch then headed back to the ship. We had plenty of time. Once you get on the road to the glacier it's impossible to get lost.

It's one of my favourite memories of that cruise.

The bikes can be rented from the tourist office just outside the pier. The bikes weren't that great but the price was right.

That sounds great but unfortunately I never learned to ride a bike as a child (oh and my husband has an enormous head so they probably wouldn't have a helmet to fit him :D:D:D).

Glad you had such a wonderful time though.

Having taken the local bus to the glacier on our first trip to Olden, we decided second time round to do some walking. There is an excellent trail which takes you up to some wonderful vantage points above the fjord. The trail map is available at the information office at the pier. We had an excellent day - and only met a handful of people on the trail. There are wonderful photo opportunities!

Morven

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for all the replies.

I think the bus trip to the glacier seems the most likely idea.

Could I ask how long the bus trip takes please?

I've been researching the bus for this trip as we are visting Olden next month; I managed to track down the timetable online. The bus takes 45 minutes each way and the timetable is linked from the Nordfjord tourist information site - http://www.nordfjord.no/en/Product/?TLp=388645

We were on the same trip as biggerbearmom... Olden is tiny. There is a glacier scenic bus but we got off the ship at 11AM to find the last bus for the day was leaving at 11.15, they do not take credit cards at all and there was no ATM nearby. They didn't want to work too hard in Olden and by lunchtime, it was all over... The bus was parked within view of the ship and never moved for the rest of the day. It's incredibly picturesque there. We ended up taking the little scenic train around the valley floor which gave a good overview. There's a beautiful river, lots of waterfalls, a very pretty little church and some lovely views around the valley where the ship is docked. However it's very small and very expensive...

If you don't book anything beforehand, get off the ship early and have plenty of cash available. There are options, but it requires thinking ahead.

Definitely do the local bus to Briksdale Glacier where you can walk up to the glacier. It cost us 80NOK but there were reductions for seniors. You pay the bus driver, cannot pre-book. You drive along some beautiful lakes. When you get off the bus (about an hour maybe?) it is quite an energetic hike uphill to the lake at the base of the glacier but it is a good walking surface. There are some 'troll cars' you can take for 180NOK p/person but there is still quite a walk from where they finish to the base of the glacier.

The bus stops only a few metres away from the ship, ON THE SAME SIDE OF THE ROAD, but there was no official bus stop sign as such. Days that cruise ships are in, they put on extra early buses so no need for concern. Make sure you get off at a reasonable time and do check the timetables.

See link two posts up for the link to timetables.

Beryl

I agree - take the Minibus "glacier taxi"

They drop you off at the same point the excursion busses drop off their passengers.

You will have enough time to walk to the glacier (I think, we hat 2.5 hours for walking and enjoying the glacier).

View from my cabin in the morning:

c3zjf77dtnzz41kwj.jpg

Easy walking to the glacier:

c3zjj5f2p8bu97ms3.jpg

Little bridge over a waterfall:

c3zjkd2bgedsclcsz.jpg

The glacier:

c3zjlfvh9g5nvbvo3.jpg

c3zjmkqm9moz8kfmb.jpg

Top of the glacier:

c3zjnhvpy190axkib.jpg

After 1 hour of walking:

c3zjpudl3gdqqv5lf.jpg

Blue ice

c3zjrsgx5c29hk93n.jpg

Crystal clear water:

c3zjtoggi3qctc7wz.jpg

Looks like in the movie "lord of the rings"

c3zjvfnhbbkjgvz83.jpg

On the way back to the ship from the bus:

c3zjxlbodhxt4yjo3.jpg

Absolutely worth the money! And it is an easy walk! But wear good walking shoes!

Thanks everybody for the really useful answers.

Could I just ask Scotswoman about her answer. Do you mean that on your second visit you simply walked "from the ship" or do you mean that you took the bus first and then just walked about?

Also could I just ask if there are any lavatories available when you get off the bus to walk to the glacier.

Thanks everybody for the really useful answers.

Could I just ask Scotswoman about her answer. Do you mean that on your second visit you simply walked "from the ship" or do you mean that you took the bus first and then just walked about?

Also could I just ask if there are any lavatories available when you get off the bus to walk to the glacier.

At the bus-stop (called Mountain Lodge - where they drop you off) is a small souvenirshop (I think you can buy a coffee and such stuff) and I am sure, there was a lavatory.

You then have to walk (nearly 2 miles, if you are unable to walk, you can take the Troll Car: http://www.briksdalsbre.no/default.aspx?menu=23&id=67)

At the drop off station of the Troll Car I am sure, there is a restroom too.

Wendy

When we visited Olden my mum was with us, we were told that the only way she could see the glacier was by air as she was disabled and couldn't walk very far.

Not sure if we were misled but I have to say the helicopter ride was well worth it. From memory it was around £800 but there was seven of us.

My mum was petrified at the thought and I had to be a little stern with her, but afterwards she said is was wonderful and glad she gave in.

The ride last around 20 minutes, you fly over the glacier, then back along the valley and over the top of the boat before heading back to the landing site.

Travel to the landing site is in their own private bus which picks you up by the boat.

I can't recommend it enough if you can get 6 or 7 people to share the cost.

A couple of pictures for you.

Tim

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9601.jpg

IMG_9589.jpg

IMG_9575.jpg

Archived