Mediterranean Cruise with Children Review – Legend of the Seas 7 Night W. Med

Thank you for all of the detail. There have been several not so positive comments about Legend in the last couple of days. I am glad you had a mostly good experience.

There is not such thing as a perfect cruise, and those that post (and do not post full-reviews) are usually posting in order to complain about something. Many of the things they are complaining about are subjective. If you do not like the new menu on the Legend, you are not going to like the new menu on any of the ships (I would expect that the recipes, ingredients (with regional modifications), and preparation for each dish, regardless of the ship, is the same). The smelly cabin issue is one that comes up on almost every ship (on these mass-market ships and even on the smaller luxory lines). Enjoying the entertainment is not only subjective, regarding the headlines, it can also be hit-or-miss, depending on not only who is performing, but your interests as well. In addition, if the same exact thing happens to two different people - it is their attitudes that will also make a world of difference.

If you read my full review, the cruise was not "perfect" - there were a few "hickups" along the way and things that we did not like, but I (and my family) had the attitude that regardless of what happened, I would wave it off - or did something about it to make it better. This is a pet peave of mine on CC - when people complain about something, such as a bad waiter every night in the MDR, when they could have done something on the cruise and switched tables/wait-staff after the first night. If you had bad service on day one, you may be willing to give them a second try on day two - but people come back to the same table/waiter every night of their 5, 7, 9, etc. day cruise - or they complain that they went to the WJ or "had to" spend money every other night in the specialty restaurants. Then they come on CC and complain about how bad the "service was on the Legend" - when it was one bad waiter, and they could have remedied that easily by switching to another table.

Also, remember, if a passenger enjoyse the big mega ships with all the bells and whistles, and expected the cruise as the destination experience, they will not be satisfied.

Very nice organized, extensive, detailed photo review...liked your packing list too. :):):):)

Thank you for the nice comments.

I thought a Table of Contents (TOC) would be a nice addition to a longer multi-post like this and have not seen it used elsewhere. It would be a great functionality on these boards if reviewers were able to create or generate some type of TOC that can be added to the beginning of the thread after we have completed the review.

I am already thinking about how I will write & organize the review of my next cruise (not booked yet), but due to time restrictions (as to when we can cruise) and desired itinerary, it looks like we will be sailing NCL late next summer).

Dear Travel R;

Thank you for a wonderful review and the extremely helpful tips.

We are also planning a Med cruise with our DD who will be 15 next year. So it really helps to read all the planning tips and advices.

I have a question concerning the Colosseum.

I don't really remember where I have read this, but apparently, kids under a certain age can visit the Colosseum for free. It is free for the EU kids and the Italian government made some changes lately to include all kids (age???).

Do you remember seeing this somewhere while you were in Rome or while you were doing your planning?

Did you have to buy tickts for your DDs?

Thanks

From what I remember, although I cannot find it at the moment, after reading the website at http://www.tickitaly.com/tickets/colosseum-tickets.php is that non-EU residences do not receive reduced or free tickets. I purchased the full price tickets for each of us - yes, even the 8 year old. I am not sure that there have been any changes to thee rules (although I think they do allow reduced tickets for academics from other countries). There is better info on one of the non-official sites at http://www.the-colosseum.net/around/visit.htm

Highly, highly recommended that you order your tickets in advance - also remember that they are good for two consecutive days and includes the Colosseum, Forum, and Palentine Hill, so you can split these up on two different days, if you would like. Make sure you are connected to a printer at the time you book (if online), and place the printout somewhere you will remember it. We did not do a guided tour, but some people we met really enjoyed it since they were able to go into areas that we were unable to go to (the tours are at least 90 minutes).

I hope this helps.

Edited by Travel R

There is not such thing as a perfect cruise, and those that post (and do not post full-reviews) are usually posting in order to complain about something. Many of the things they are complaining about are subjective. If you do not like the new menu on the Legend, you are not going to like the new menu on any of the ships (I would expect that the recipes, ingredients (with regional modifications), and preparation for each dish, regardless of the ship, is the same). The smelly cabin issue is one that comes up on almost every ship (on these mass-market ships and even on the smaller luxory lines). Enjoying the entertainment is not only subjective, regarding the headlines, it can also be hit-or-miss, depending on not only who is performing, but your interests as well. In addition, if the same exact thing happens to two different people - it is their attitudes that will also make a world of difference.

If you read my full review, the cruise was not "perfect" - there were a few "hickups" along the way and things that we did not like, but I (and my family) had the attitude that regardless of what happened, I would wave it off - or did something about it to make it better. This is a pet peave of mine on CC - when people complain about something, such as a bad waiter every night in the MDR, when they could have done something on the cruise and switched tables/wait-staff after the first night. If you had bad service on day one, you may be willing to give them a second try on day two - but people come back to the same table/waiter every night of their 5, 7, 9, etc. day cruise - or they complain that they went to the WJ or "had to" spend money every other night in the specialty restaurants. Then they come on CC and complain about how bad the "service was on the Legend" - when it was one bad waiter, and they could have remedied that easily by switching to another table.

Also, remember, if a passenger enjoyse the big mega ships with all the bells and whistles, and expected the cruise as the destination experience, they will not be satisfied.

Here, here! Excellent post :)

Dear Travel R;

Thank you for a wonderful review and the extremely helpful tips.

We are also planning a Med cruise with our DD who will be 15 next year. So it really helps to read all the planning tips and advices.

I have a question concerning the Colosseum.

I don't really remember where I have read this, but apparently, kids under a certain age can visit the Colosseum for free. It is free for the EU kids and the Italian government made some changes lately to include all kids (age???).

Do you remember seeing this somewhere while you were in Rome or while you were doing your planning?

Did you have to buy tickts for your DDs?

Thanks

I have not been to the colosseum recently, but we were visiting Heculaneum last month and I was researching the changes in this policy. As I understand it (and I could well be wrong) the change is only that now EU residents can also get the free rate (it used to only be citizens--so, we as US citizens who reside in Germany and pay taxes in the EU could not have our kids go in for free previously, but now we can).

• 1 month later...

Dear Travel R;

I was rereading your review and still enjoyed it as much as the first time.

My DD will be 15 when we cruise. Do you happen to have the daily compasses for the teen activities?

I don't remember seeing them in your review.

If they are, can you tell which post # was it?

If they are not, do you mind e-mailing them to me? stefanny28 at hotmail dot com.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Travel R;

I was rereading your review and still enjoyed it as much as the first time.

My DD will be 15 when we cruise. Do you happen to have the daily compasses for the teen activities?

I don't remember seeing them in your review.

If they are, can you tell which post # was it?

If they are not, do you mind e-mailing them to me? stefanny28 at hotmail dot com.

Thanks

Sorry, I never did get a chance to scan & post the teen compass cards (they are printed on large sized cards).

If I can find them, I'll scan them and email them to you (and post them here are well).