Skagway USA immigration for non US citizen and non US permanent resident

manasvi10

We are taking a princess cruise to Alaska in last week of Sept 013. Skagway is one of the stops. We have done a train to Yukon on our last trip where passports were not needed.

This time, we have a baby with us and would like to rent a car and drive to Yukon/emerald lake on our own. However we are not USA citizens. We also do not have USA green card. We have special permit to enter USA as our green card application is in last stage (so no USA visa in the passport).

[Note: Chilkoot charters told us they won't allow us on the tour without USA passport and/or green card. ]

We will have multiple entry Canada visitor visa to enter Canada. However while coming back to USA on Skagway border, we need to go through proper immigration (As per my past experience in other places, we have to go through immigration and get new I94 after every cruise trip or air trip). Does anybody know whether that office is staffed with full immigration procedures? All the replies I read said they just showed their passports/GC etc but nobody shared their actual paperwork experience.

I am ok not doing this excursion but there are not other options with baby so would like to gather more information before I decide either way.

Do you really want to risk your trip on legal advice you receive from a travel forum? How would you even know if the response is correct?

I'm a UK citizen with Permanent Resident status in the US .... if I have visa questions, I check with my consulate, PLUS the countries whose borders I will be crossing. I suggest you do the same.

Also, check with any vendor who would be taking you across the border ... their requirements can be more strict than the US and Canada govt.

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

http://www.dhs.gov/crossing-us-borders

I am sorry but I have done through research before I posted here. I hope you can see that from the information I added to the post. I also called the Immigration office in skagway but no one answered. Usually I can easily and legally getin/out of USA with my docs but since Skagway office is so small and a special scenario where it shares border with Canada with unique entry point (legal), I wanted to get more information.

I am not relying on anybody's advice here as far as immigration goes but I definitely want to gather more information and so far I have always received good info from these boards. I have specifically asked people to share their experience if they have any good info and not asking whether I should go or not.

I have clearly mentioned that I am ok with not doing it if I see risks in immigration but no harm in checking before taking a decision and later repenting especially when you go so far in the world... right?

Archived