How's the whole aqua park thing on the Breakaway?

Sairey

We're about to book on the Getaway because of the elaborate aqua park that I believe my 16, 14 and 12 year olds will adore. We really thought we'd go the Disney route, but after seeing the Breakaway and Getaway, we've gone back to NCL (and it costs so much less).

My question is how is the aqua park? I know crowds will vary depending on the season/week we cruise (looking at May 31). But, do lines tend to move quickly? Are the slides fun?

Not sure if the Breakaway has the same mini golf and ropes course as is planned on the Getaway, but if it does, how do people like it?

I want to make sure I can keep the interest of 3 teenagers for an entire 7 days.

Thanks!

Just off the breakaway and my 11 yo son loved the ropes course. He must have done it like 8 times. The lines are long during peak times but you can figure out when the lines are shorter.

As for the aqua park, both my kids enjoyed the whip and the basic slide. They didn't weigh enough (99) to do the plunge. Lines moved quickly for those.

All in all plenty to do and a great basketball course too

. . . do lines tend to move quickly? Are the slides fun?

Thanks!

Never had long lines during our cruise and yes the slides were fun. Ropes course looked good too but got crowded and we didn't try it out.

The waterslide lines move pretty quick, much faster than then lines on the Epic.

There were some lines for the Ropes course, the cruise staff has to strap you into the harness and another staff memeber hooks you into the ropes course. There is usually a line right when the course first opens up.

My husband spent hours on the ropes course and on the slides.

My advice, don't wait until the last sea day to try the ropes course, if you have high winds and rough seas it will be closed.

• 5 months later...

We were just on the 12/22 sailing on the Breakaway, and though many of the days were on the "chilly" side, we were in the pools / slides every day. My son (9) loved the "whip" slides - both the yellow and purple. The basic blue slide was also lots of fun - even I liked it. :)

There were never any lines to use the slides, but that may have been due to the chilly temps. (The hot tubs were always full!)

The kids pool under the slides was also fun - the deepest part is 4'7" and the shallow end 3'3". This pool was heated and was lots of fun.

The Spongebob kiddie area was very popular with lots of kids. The "sprays" were only on one day (Nassau).

Yes, the "free fall" slides have 99 pound minimum weight.

We're about to book on the Getaway because of the elaborate aqua park that I believe my 16, 14 and 12 year olds will adore. We really thought we'd go the Disney route, but after seeing the Breakaway and Getaway, we've gone back to NCL (and it costs so much less).

My question is how is the aqua park? I know crowds will vary depending on the season/week we cruise (looking at May 31). But, do lines tend to move quickly? Are the slides fun?

Not sure if the Breakaway has the same mini golf and ropes course as is planned on the Getaway, but if it does, how do people like it?

I want to make sure I can keep the interest of 3 teenagers for an entire 7 days.

Thanks!

I did all the slides and ropes when we were docked in port....no lines then, and a lot of fun. If you go early or late, during, say, peak meal times, there will be no lines either.

Have fun!

I know the plunge has a 99 weight limit, but do the other slides? I have a 4 year old going this coming October and I need to prepare him if he can't ride the slides in advance.

The slides and rope course have a height requirement along with the 99lb requirement for the plunge. Our 7 year old granddaughter did the yellow water slide and attempted the adult rope course. She went about 2 feet out and turned back. There is a kids rope course under the stairs for the adult course. She did that while her dad did the rope course. Our 5 year old grandson was fine playing mini golf instead of all the "exciting" slides and courses. Good thing because he was to short by just a hair!

The nice thing about the rope course --- once you are up there you can stay as long as you want!

We were on the 12-22-13 sailing.

Hubby and I went on the slides in the morning the first day the ship hit Bermuda so there were no lines. I absolutely lovvvvved the slides! (Video link in my signature line) If you're kids like water slides they should enjoy these especially the Free Fall.

Happy New Year everyone!! We are booked on the Getaway this upcoming March and I have a quick question about how they work the aqua park on the Breakaway.

My one son is going to be near the 99lb minimum. How do they work it for checking? Will he be checked each time on the slide or once and then given some type of wristband to confirm he meets the requirements and expedite the wait time?

Thanks

Happy New Year everyone!! We are booked on the Getaway this upcoming March and I have a quick question about how they work the aqua park on the Breakaway.

My one son is going to be near the 99lb minimum. How do they work it for checking? Will he be checked each time on the slide or once and then given some type of wristband to confirm he meets the requirements and expedite the wait time?

Thanks

There's a scale at the top of the stairs right before you get on.

Don't think I'm posting this to scare anyone, but in Nov a light framed female passenger who was just over the 99 lb min. got stuck in the free fall slide.

The slide goes up shortly after the fall to slow you down, and she wasn't heavy enough to get over the hump I guess.

It took about 10 mins for them to open a hatch and let her out!

So I would be careful about a kid going on who was barely 99 lbs.

Edited by limeyalchemist