restaurant advice

mwoodrowe

my sister & i were thinking of having dinner ashore one evening. i would like bermudian food. doesn't have to be the fanciest place in town but REALLY good. we don't haev a set budget. we are docking in hamiton and st. george so either works for us. any suggestions? thanks....beth

Bermudian food = fish. Surprisingly there are not a lot of truly "Bermudian" foods, but the ones that do usually involve fish.

In St. Georges and Hamilton a number of the restaurants, such as White Horse Tavern in St. Georges, serve Bermuda fish chowder. It is a red chowder that is seasoned in part with Sherry pepper and Black Rum. Places where you can find the chowder probably have fish entrees as well that you can try. Excellent fish chowders can be found in taverns so don't think you have to go to a $$$ restaurant to have a good chowder.

In Hamilton you might want to try the Lobster Pot on Bermudiana Road for some nice Rockfish, Snapper, Wahoo or Grouper.

Ask around at a Tourist Information center if anywhere serves a traditional Codfish & Potoatos breakfast. A number of places serve it on Sunday morning but I'm not sure about other mornings.

If it's in season local lobster is always worth trying, it's a spiny lobster as opposed to the Maine lobster but it's delicious nonetheless.

Finally there is one traditional Bermudian dish that doesn't have fish in it - cassava pie. It is typically made around Christmas time so might be hard to find in the summer, maybe Tourist Information would know where you could find it.

Not being a local like Swizzle is I can't offer a lot of variety but my wife and I were in Bermuda last week and had dinner at the Carriage House on the water front in St. Georges and really enjoyed it. I had fish chowder and grouper and my wife had broiled amberjack. Both were very good. We also had lunch in Dockyards at a little place called Freeport something. I had fish and chips which was made with wahoo. It was also excellent.

A note on Carriage House. If you're cruising NCL you can use vouchers essentially as gift certificates which is not always the case. Some places have a limited menu with the vouchers.

I've been on lakes with more movement. We had a little rock as we were crossing the golf stream that lasted a couple hours, other than that it was surprisingly smooth. To be honest with you I was hoping for a little more movement than we had. I really only noticed it while walking and even then it was fairly slight.

Tom Moore's Tavern - near St George - is the oldest place on the island (several hundred years: Mark Twain liked to have a special dinner there when he visited the island) very good menu with local specialties. The restaurant at Ariel Sands - on South Road fairly near Hamilton (owned by Michael Douglas) is beautiful - overlooks the sea -- also great local specialties.

Archived