DL & birth certificate: First name must match

ohyes!

Our TA never told us that the first name on my birth certificate and driver's license have to match. He was out of the office today when we picked up our documents and the agency's owner helped us. This is our first cruise...I just figured since most of the names matched, it would work.

The owner called Carnival to double-check and was told that my first name had to be on the DL and it would be best if the DL just had that first name and my last name. So, I had to run down to the Revenue Office and pay $10.00 (2 drinks:( ) to get a new driver's license with just those two names. Can't even use that new DL to write checks, etc. because every piece of ID I have in the world only lists my second name (that I go by), maiden name and married last name. The owner said to get a passport it would have to be under that first name also--the first name HAS to match the first name on the birth certificate.

And, Carnival charges $50.00 for the name change once everything is set. The owner got them to take $25.00 and the agency paid that, thank goodness.

But the docs are in our possession and I think we are now good to go! (hope so!)

This has probably been talked about before and I was too busy reading alcohol/Cozymel/New Orleans posts or something.

Double check the requirements for the passport - it was many years ago that we did this, but my hubby also has gone by his middle name all of his life. When we went to get the passport, they told me if we could prove that he had been using that name for 10 years with bank statements, utility bills and the like, he could get his passport in that name. He FINALLY quit teasing me about keeping all of that stuff for so long when it came in handy to prove this!

Since I go by my middle name, that is what is on my DL, and of course my birth certificate has my first and middle name. Last year when we sailed on the Carnival Glory, there was not a problem with it. My TA just said I needed a Picture ID with my first name on it. Have things gotton tighter in only a year... I only have 4 days, so if I need to run get a new DL, someone let me know...Thanks in advance

Somewhere (?) on the Carnival website or brochures, there's mention of this - the name on the cruise docs must match the name on your ID, whether it's D/L or passport. As long as your ID name matches the name on the cruises docs, you're good to go.

So - Logically, if your ID says James Paul Williams, and the cruise docs say James Williams OR Paul Williams, should be ok.

I do have an ID that uses my full name, but it is not a goverment ID, It is my ID from work. My DL uses my middle, maiden, and married name. My docs use my first and last name only. Do you think I will be ok?

Wow, I could have sworn, at least here in NC, you didn't have a choice... your full legal name is what has to be on your DL, so there isn't a problem... Maybe all states should do that? Glad you got it all worked out!!!

when the agency owner acted concerned that my birth certificate name and DL name weren't quite the same, I thought she was over-reacting. The picture on the DL looks just like me (too bad!) and there was just this one name on the birth certificate that never shows up anyplace else--and hasn't in over 25 years!

But, then she called Carnival and the rep told her yep, she was right. The rep told her if we had shown up to board without changing the DL, we would have been charged $50.00 before we could board to get the name change thing done.

I thought the name I had been using all this time (name I go by, maiden name, married last name) WAS my legal name. But the agency owner said no, no, no, your legal name is the name on your birth certificate. So, now my name is Marcia. Weird for me, at 49yo. :)

Have things gotton tighter in only a year...

Things are getting tighter all the time....thanks to 9/11. For example, starting July 1, in the state of Missouri, you will need to show a birth certificate or passport to get a new DL or even renew one!

A friend of mine, who sells real estate, received a letter last week from the USDA informing her that if she sells land to a non-US citizen, she must report it.

I never understood why people didn't realize they had a legal name and should have all their legal documents in that name, no matter what people had been calling them for 50 years....maybe it's because I worked in a bank for years. In fact, I didn't even think it was allowed to use a nickname on documents.

Your "Legal" name is what is on your birth certificate.

I'm quite surprised that you were able to obtain a licience under a different name than what shows on your birth certificate (what state are you in?)

With the changing Homeland security rules you may find you will be running into problems more often.

I'm glad you were able to work things out.

Maybe that explains everything? :rolleyes:

The funny thing is, that years ago, like 25, I was told by a banker in Portland, Maine (no kidding) that I should change everything to the name I go by, maiden name, married last name because that would be the name I would use to sign documents, etc. Once I had it changed on the SS card, guess I thought that made it my legal name.

Oh well, live and learn... I never even knew I had that first name until my third grade teacher told me. Am I sounding stupider by the second or what????

So would I have an issue if my DL said Joe K Smith and my US Naturalization papers said Joe Smith? Or maybe I booked through carnival with only Joe Smith, and the other documents have Joe K Smith

I hope they aren't that finicky

I don't see where you'd have a problem there. Carnival has never bothered with a middle name. My middle name is on my DL and passport, but I book under my "legal" first name and last name only.

My PVP told me that if I didn't have a passport (mine has expired), I would need to show my drivers license and birth certificate. If my name was not the same on both I would also have to bring along a copy of my marriage license, or whatever document I had showing where I had legally changed my name. We've moved so many times in our 21 year marriage, I was surprised I could actually find it:eek: . Things have definately gotten a lot stricter since the last time I went through customs.

Don't ask the question unless you really want an answer.

Hey, I already KNOW the answer!:eek:

It all started making sense yesterday with the travel agency. But, up until this point, (this is my first cruise) it has never, ever been an issue. Nobody has wanted to see my birth certificate, except for retirement accounts and the first name was never questioned.

Have not traveled out of the country (except to Canada) since marrying. It just surprised me. Now, it all comes together and I understand.

Wow, I could have sworn, at least here in NC, you didn't have a choice... your full legal name is what has to be on your DL, so there isn't a problem... Maybe all states should do that? Glad you got it all worked out!!!

I live in NC and my DL does not match my Birth Certificate, i.e. first name. My Driver's License as always said Debbie, whereas my birth certificate says Debra. Did not have a problem when we cruised in 2001. Have things changed - should I change my Driver's License?

I just found this on the carnival website:

'All guests 16 years of age or older, must provide an official photo I.D. It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, Permanent Resident card, birth certificates, etc.) be identical to those on the cruise and airlines tickets. If not, proof of name change (i.e., a marriage license) OR a valid driver's license or government issued photo ID (i.e., U.S. Military ID) must be presented.

Looks like birth certificate and cruise tickets have to match. Sounds like Driver's license is for extra identification??

I just found this on the carnival website:

'All guests 16 years of age or older, must provide an official photo I.D. It is important that guest names on travel documents (passport, Permanent Resident card, birth certificates, etc.) be identical to those on the cruise and airlines tickets. If not, proof of name change (i.e., a marriage license) OR a valid driver's license or government issued photo ID (i.e., U.S. Military ID) must be presented.

Looks like birth certificate and cruise tickets have to match. Sounds like Driver's license is for extra identification??

And like I asked before, how finicky do they get. What about variations such as Debra vs Debbie, Rob vs Robby, or like my example, Joe Smith vs Joe K Smith?

I go by my middle name. My DL has my rarely used first name and they wouldn't even put my middle name (just the initial). I solved the whole problem by having my passport list all of my names: first, middle, maiden, married. I signed the passport with all four of the names (no initials). I find that when I travel as long as I have the passport the whole problem is solved. This is another excellent reason for everyone to get passports.

I go by my middle name. My DL has my rarely used first name and they wouldn't even put my middle name (just the initial). I solved the whole problem by having my passport list all of my names: first, middle, maiden, married. I signed the passport with all four of the names (no initials). I find that when I travel as long as I have the passport the whole problem is solved. This is another excellent reason for everyone to get passports.

Great Idea. When I get a passport, I think I will do the same!

And like I asked before, how finicky do they get. What about variations such as Debra vs Debbie, Rob vs Robby, or like my example, Joe Smith vs Joe K Smith?

Have no idea Cruz. I checked my pre-cruise checklist and it says that 'the names on your cruise documents must match exactly the names on the document used for proof of citizenship (i.e. birth certificate or passport). If they do not you will be denied boarding.' I am assuming that they mean the first and last names, because my travel documents have never shown my middle name. I also don't remember taking my marraige license last time to verify my last name, but I will take it just to be sure.

Maybe that explains everything? :rolleyes:

Oh well, live and learn... I never even knew I had that first name until my third grade teacher told me. Am I sounding stupider by the second or what????

Yep, Arkansas's drivers license program isn't exactly the best in the country - it's one of the easiest ones to get, and that is why there are so many counterfeit ones out there. Of course, when I got my first drivers license, they misspelled my first name and they made me pay to have it fixed even though it was their own fault.

I've never understood parents that give their child a 1st name that they have no intention of using. It's really confusing to kids when they get to school and their teachers are all calling them Gordon but the only name they've ever heard is John. I've had several teachers over the years that refused to use anything but a child's given name, they wouldn't even use middle names.

And yep, unless you've actually gone to court and had your name legally changed, your legal name is still whatever was on your birth certificate, no matter the fact that you've never used the other name even on legal documents.

Archived