4 to 2 occupancy cabin switch

sandyh85

Hi everyone! Love reading these boards, headed on my second cruise in Jan on the Freedom. I'm in love with cruising thanks to my first -a family vacay last Feb.

Question:

I booked a balcony for myself and two friends. Two weeks after booking - bad news, one friend can't go (family wedding). It is not a huge deal, fully refundable, more upsetting she can't go. My original friend and I are still going, subtracting the third person still keeps us under our original "upper"spending limit.

We have not deleted her off the booking yet as we may find a new third to join us.

By October, we will make the call to drop her name. My question is, will Carnival a. move us automatically, as we are two in a four person room they can make more off or b. if I call, maybe get a nearby room with a perk or two (OBC, upgrade from front to mid, etc)?

Anyone ever run into this or similar? Thoughts?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Forums mobile app

If you have to cancel your friend off the booking without replacing her with another passenger, Carnival will just relocate you to a double occupancy cabin. There will be no perks for doing this, but you can ask them what doubles are available. You don't have to just accept an arbitrary cabin assignment (unless that's the only double available).

Don't wait to long to do this. Your price (for passengers 1 and 2) could change if there are no double occupancy cabins remaining in your cabin category.

Example: If you are currently in a 8D quadruple occupancy cabin with 3 passengers but now one passenger can't go, you'll want to ensure that the remaining 2 passengers can relocate to a 8D double occupancy cabin. If all the 8D doubles were sold out and there were no lower balcony categories available, your only balcony choice may be to upgrade to a higher category (or take a gamble with a guarantee balcony if allowed).

If you have to cancel your friend off the booking without replacing her with another passenger, Carnival will just relocate you to a double occupancy cabin. There will be no perks for doing this, but you can ask them what doubles are available. You don't have to just accept an arbitrary cabin assignment (unless that's the only double available).

Don't wait to long to do this. Your price (for passengers 1 and 2) could change if there are no double occupancy cabins remaining in your cabin category.

Example: If you are currently in a 8D quadruple occupancy cabin with 3 passengers but now one passenger can't go, you'll want to ensure that the remaining 2 passengers can relocate to a 8D double occupancy cabin. If all the 8D doubles were sold out and there were no lower balcony categories available, your only balcony choice may be to upgrade to a higher category (or take a gamble with a guarantee balcony if allowed).

I'm confused by this. If there are no more double occupancy left, wouldn't they just be able to stay in their original room? Would Carnival boot them?

I'm confused by this. If there are no more double occupancy left, wouldn't they just be able to stay in their original room? Would Carnival boot them?

Not necessarily. For the last few years, Carnival has operated under a no-spoilage rule. In most cases, Carnival agents are required to relocate guests to accomodations that match the number of guests. Since some ships have few triples but many quads, often 3 passengers are just fine in a quad, but not 2 passengers.

From section 7g of the cruise ticket contract:

(g) Specific stateroom assignments are not guaranteed. Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom for any reason, including but not limited to, instances in which a stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial Guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate.

Entire contract can be found at this link:

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

If you know (especially prior to final payment) that someone has to cancel, it is usually better to make changes to the reservation ASAP when there's more availability and you still have some say in where you move. In penalty period, with occupancy restrictions in place, one could be forced into paying for a higher category.

I agree that it's probably better to cancel the person sooner rather than later, when there is more availability of rooms to switch to. However, I did not know that Carnival would automatically require a move once you went down to 2 people. With this being a low-demand January sailing, I thought Carnival would wait and bump them only if there was a need to. OP, I would call Carnival and clarify that. But Carnival will not give you any perks for switching to a 2-person cabin. Even so, if you wait to cancel the person & if they are going to require an immediate room change, the rooms in a more desirable location may get taken.

Wow, thanks to everyone for the advice. I had an inkling they could switch us for their own benefit but did not know for sure it was buried in the contract.

We will have to put a search for a third into high gear and make a decision sooner than later.

Still can't wait for sun and fun 6 months!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Forums mobile app

Archived