Time Keeping at dinner seatings

rool

Just a general query really as there are different cultures with regards to the importance of time keeping.

I am absolutely fanatical about being a little early for everything I attend, probably annoyingly so. However, my fiance is Brazilian and is the complete opposite. It is a pretty regular occurrence for me to be waiting the minimum of thirty minutes to an hour with no word of warning or explanation. I have my own special standing place at one London underground station where the staff know me now as I have spent so many hours there.

I know I am going to have a battle with her to get her ready on time for meals but it's a battle I am determined to win by hook or by crook.

Bearing in mind the more Mediterranean mix of nationalities on the MSC cruises, in Europe in any case, what is the time keeping like for people turning up for dinner?

First of all, I must say it's so very common for a man to wait for his fairer half (regardless of her nationality) :o

Well, generally, it's okay to be late by not more than 10min for dinner in the main dinning room. It is kind of rude or unfair to your dinner mates if both of you keep them waiting and waiting though.

I have also heard stories that MSC would refuse late-comers entrance to MDR after 30min from the allotted dinner time.

First of all, I must say it's so very common for a man to wait for his fairer half (regardless of her nationality) :o

Well, generally, it's okay to be late by not more than 10min for dinner in the main dinning room. It is kind of rude or unfair to your dinner mates if both of you keep them waiting and waiting though.

I have also heard stories that MSC would refuse late-comers entrance to MDR after 30min from the allotted dinner time.

Ha ha, I hear what you are saying and I am glad to hear MSC are quite strict on this.

I think I will sabotage her watch.

I would ask for a 2 seater table. Too embarrassing and inconsiderate to others at your table. If you have early sitting you'll have to leave to let others come in.

Or go to the buffet.

It won't be a problem, I will make sure of that, I was just curious as this will be my first MSC cruise :D

I wasn't aware you could ask for smaller tables though.

There are not that many tables for 2.

They usually close the restaurant doors aft a short while. I thought it was at 15 minutes. Keeping your table companions waiting for more than 5 or 10 minutes would be really inconsiderate to them and the waiting staff.

You can try using the threat of missing dinner, to try to get her there on time. She really won't want to resort to the very limited room service menu.

As with most things MSC, there is an official cut-off time for entering the MDR for dinner but it is not enforced. The first services are greeting and seating, menus, drinks orders & deliveries, then menu order taking. In my experience this set of services took a minimum 30 minutes up to over an hour!

As others have said, arriving more than a few unintentional minutes late is disrespectful to your tablemates. If one or more people at a table are routinely late, that table will be knocked down the serving order to be sure.

Some people prefer to arrive after everyone else is seated. This is fine except that it will delay the whole table. Even if a latecomer is not waited for before ordering and starting to eat, the waiter will synchronize courses so that everyone on the table finishes at the same time as the last to arrive.

Arrive together and if you are going to be significantly late to the table, go to the buffet instead or face the irritation of your tablemates.

So if some cruisers complain on here about some bloke dragging a semi dressed, half made up, blonde haired lady holding a pair of hair straighteners down the stairs into the dining room at 8:33pm each night, that'll be me and I apologise in advance.

So if some cruisers complain on here about some bloke dragging a semi dressed, half made up, blonde haired lady holding a pair of hair straighteners down the stairs into the dining room at 8:33pm each night, that'll be me and I apologise in advance.

How about aiming for a pre-dinner cocktail instead? It is a softer and perhaps more attractive target.

Just a general query really as there are different cultures with regards to the importance of time keeping.

I am absolutely fanatical about being a little early for everything I attend, probably annoyingly so. However, my fiance is Brazilian and is the complete opposite. It is a pretty regular occurrence for me to be waiting the minimum of thirty minutes to an hour with no word of warning or explanation. I have my own special standing place at one London underground station where the staff know me now as I have spent so many hours there.

I know I am going to have a battle with her to get her ready on time for meals but it's a battle I am determined to win by hook or by crook.

Bearing in mind the more Mediterranean mix of nationalities on the MSC cruises, in Europe in any case, what is the time keeping like for people turning up for dinner?

On most of the MSC cruises I've been on they have physically shut the doors to the MDR 10 - 15 min after they open them for dinner. If you miss that narrow time slot, it's off to the buffet.

Pete

How about aiming for a pre-dinner cocktail instead? It is a softer and perhaps more attractive target.

True ha ha, there's something caveman about my approach though :D

p.s. I am being very tongue in cheek in this thread in case anyone gets the wrong impression.

the table next to us at dinner was late every day. The first night they were 1/2 hr late and they got a lecture from the head waiter. For the rest of the week they were 20-25 minutes late which seemed to be "acceptable", but when they were on the later side they were told they could only order 2 courses plus dessert!

I think with kids, one might get extra allowance.

It was our first family cruise (Splendida, April 2013), and we were allocated a 4-seat table to our own. The head waiter and other waiters always stopped by to greet my DD3 every night.

Twice, after more than 30min of the dinner starting time, I have to rush back to our cabin to collect something (water coupon, my DD's plastic fork and spoon etc), and nobody ever stopped/checked when I returned to MDR.

This is what DH and I do. We plan for drinks in the centrum lobby bar every night 45 minutes before our late seating. Since it's hard to both be ready at exactly the same moment, first ready heads to the bar to get a table. Usually he is ready first but sometimes I go first. They serve a little bowl of chips (free) to go along with the drinks. Our experience has been this is some of the best musicians we have experienced in cruising.

We have just returned from Splendida, and in the "Daily Program" it said that the rule was 15 min. after. They also opened the doors quite early (for 1st seating), because when we arrived 19:05 the table beside us got their appetisers! Though the ship was fully booked, the service where fast.

:):eek:....that is funny! Of course, that could be me especially if I've had a few cocktails during sail away...time just creeps up when you have to get ready for dinner...:p

Archived