LHR Check In Time for Delta

Sargent_Schultz

For TATL flights, I'm always at the airport 3 hours in advance, but Delta lets you check in up to 1 hour in advance for International flights. LHR can get pretty messy at times, so don't get any stress you don't need and arrive 2.5-2 hours in advance, then you should be safe.

Well, I am very, very conservative on airport arrivals and consider 3 hours at LHR to be my personal minimum.

Twice I've needed all of 3 hours to get to my gate because I am not a fast walker and there were delays at both baggage check in and security.

Security at LHR is extremely serious.

I prefer to be well past security and shopping in the Duty Free or just having a beverage to being on the other side of security wondering if I will make my flight.

So I try to arrive well ahead of 3 hours (3.5 or so) and enjoy not having stress.

I would arrive three hours ahead as others have said.

If you are flying first or business class you will go through faster than coach.

Best to error on the side of arriving earlier not later.

Keith

Yes, Keith, certainly. UK airport security makes our TSA look like it doesn't try very hard. I put as much of my stuff as possible into my to-be-checked bag. Valuables, medicines, electronics and cameras stay with me in my carry on bag.

Biz going but only cattle returning. Should have priority boarding but that doesn't mean much until you are at the gate.

Sadly priority boarding means that you are in the 3rd or 4th group for board after the heavy frequent flyers on your airlines, first class and business class. I saw a guy having a screaming fit at a boarding gate as he was yelling 'but I am PRIORITY' and the gate agent gave him an evil look and informed him that means a bit more than zero.

Priority status is a sales tactic by the airlines.

I fly a great deal and have high status on one airline are fairly high status on another. That gets me on to the plane a few minutes ahead of the mob.

You will see many people attempting to travel at LHR back to the USA with masses of carry on luggage. That slows down security and usually results in forced gate checking of some of the items....often after a fierce argument.

My purse is small and my carry on bag is without wheels and an easy fit under the seat in front of me. Makes life easier.

I fly enough (including today) to know my Zone 1 boarding allows me to see a lot of people board first, but still there are lots of people behind me. At least I did pay for the extra room cattle seats so whoever is in front of us can't recline into our laps. :eek:

Not too worried about our carry on luggage. We'll still have to each gate check one piece for the last leg from ATL to our podunk airport.

Biz going but only cattle returning. Should have priority boarding but that doesn't mean much until you are at the gate.

Business also give your priority on getting through each of the two security lines.

However, I would still arrive 3 hours or more before the flight to be on the safe side.

Enjoy.

Keith

Archived