HAWAII:Excursions-Or just doing your own thing??

scmona

On our 1st cruise to the western Caribbean we chose different excursions, they were ok. The best was Stingray City. On our 2nd cruise to the eastern Caribbean we did our own thing-relaxing on the local beaches and taking our time.

I'm not sure if we want to do excursions or our own thing in Hawaii? What have you done? Thanks.

We were on NCL's Star a couple of years ago and after reading all the boards and searching for information, we ended up renting a car at each port and going on our own. It worked out perfectly and that is what we will do again next year. Car rentals are inexpensive (we did it through Priceline and got rates for less than $20 each day) and you can go at your own schedule. What we loved about Hawaii was the national parks are beautiful and unspoiled. Our one big expensive was a helicopter tour in Kauai - well worth the money. We rented a car, drove out to the airport then had the car for the rest of the day.

Everyone has their own comfort level, but Hawaii seems to be a great place to go on your own.

After your helicopter ride in Kauai where did you drive to. I don't think we want to rent a car Ohau (too crowded and we just want to do the beach) and in Kona are visiting with family. Have never been to Kauai and a convertible sounds just about perfect. Thanks for any help.

We were on NCL's Star a couple of years ago and after reading all the boards and searching for information, we ended up renting a car at each port and going on our own. .....

Everyone has their own comfort level, but Hawaii seems to be a great place to go on your own.

Did anyone report any problems with traffic jams or not being able to get back to the ship by sailing time. How bout car pick up and drop off points near ship?

After our helicopter tour we drove out to Wailua Falls, then to a small shopping area. I've never heard of anyone getting stuck in traffic, but I'm sure it could happen if you don't plan your time correctly. Our rule of thumb is to always be back to the ship an hour before the "official" time to be onboard. I'm too much of a worrier to plan it any closer! :)

If I remember correctly, there were shuttles to the car rental places at the dock each time we arrived. Some places were quicker to check in than others, and you also have to allow time when you drop off your car to return back to the ship.

Archived