VIA rail Jasper-Vancouver - STOPS?

Please advise on how many 'sleep-disrupting' station stops to expect on the 'Canadian' overnight portion of the trip between Vancouver and Jasper. Kamloops I would think would be a major stop. I'm comparing VIA rail tour vs Mountaineer which travels route in daytime only. $ is a consideration in my trip planning process. THANKS

Here is a link to the VIA Canadian schedule. As you can see there are a number of "whistle stops" so one can only guess if the train is going to be stopping or not. Kamloops is a stop of 35 minutes

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/schedules/Summer2013/VL24458_4970-13_Timetable2013_ETE_40-41.pdf

I have done the trip many times over the past 15 years or so, and there are almost never any stops for passengers along the way. On the rare occasion that this has occurred, the passengers using the stops are from the coach section of the train. The Kamloops stop is a very good place to finally hit the bed. There is always a stop in Hope to change engineers but that does not affect passengers. I have also found that the train almost always arrives in Kamloops early, on a few occasions almost an hour early. Catch up time built into the schedule I am guessing. A great trip.

I have done the trip many times over the past 15 years or so, and there are almost never any stops for passengers along the way. On the rare occasion that this has occurred, the passengers using the stops are from the coach section of the train. The Kamloops stop is a very good place to finally hit the bed. There is always a stop in Hope to change engineers but that does not affect passengers. I have also found that the train almost always arrives in Kamloops early, on a few occasions almost an hour early. Catch up time built into the schedule I am guessing. A great trip.

Thanks.

Do I miss alot of 'highlights scenery' during overnight section of VIA rail vs. Mountaineer 100% daytime?

Thanks.

Do I miss alot of 'highlights scenery' during overnight section of VIA rail vs. Mountaineer 100% daytime?

Very much so, that is why the Rocky Mountaineer is so popular with tourists, this is some of the best scenery in the world.....but you do pay for it.

Please advise on how many 'sleep-disrupting' station stops to expect on the 'Canadian' overnight portion of the trip between Vancouver and Jasper. Kamloops I would think would be a major stop. I'm comparing VIA rail tour vs Mountaineer which travels route in daytime only. $ is a consideration in my trip planning process. THANKS

Every town along the route is a possible stop. That means at least 4 stops between Jasper and Kamloops. Don't forget possible stops to drop people off.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

My reply above, #3 was for the journey from Jasper to Vancouver. For the journey from Vancouver to Jasper, you would be heading off to bed just an hour or so after leaving Vancouver. I have never seen the train pick up or drop off passengers on the overnight portion of the trip between Vancouver and Kamloops. There will be a short stop across the river from Hope where engineers will change off. Have breakfast as you leave Kamloops and then enjoy the rest of the day from the dome cars. The big difference between VIA and Rocky Mountaineer is that on Rocky you get to see the portion of the journey between Vancouver and Kamloops in the day light. The Fraser and Thompson canyons are spectacular. From Kamloops to Jasper the scenery is exactly the same on both carriers and daylight on both. The sleeping car class on VIA is much better than the coach. Gold Leaf on Rocky is very top end. I would not want to travel Red Leaf on Rocky as there is no dome observation area and you have assigned seating which might be facing the rock mountain sides. If that is your budget price point, take VIA in sleeping class and enjoy the domes on the second day.

Thanks YYJGUY. My first choice will be RM Gold - I hope to catch a sale like 'pay Silver, get gold' during early-booking period. I see that type of sale was on offer recently for2013 late season travel. If I do Celebrity cruisetour (likely Brewster), it starts Calgary, ends with Jasper to Vancouver, with VIA Sleeper-Plus cabin and Panoramic viewing car. I'd hate to miss river canyons since I've seen Youtube videos showing that section.

Thanks YYJGUY. My first choice will be RM Gold - I hope to catch a sale like 'pay Silver, get gold' during early-booking period. I see that type of sale was on offer recently for2013 late season travel. If I do Celebrity cruisetour (likely Brewster), it starts Calgary, ends with Jasper to Vancouver, with VIA Sleeper-Plus cabin and Panoramic viewing car. I'd hate to miss river canyons since I've seen Youtube videos showing that section.

Starting next year the RM will be doing a Vancouver to Banff run as well . Also next year you'll be able to board the RM in Seattle go to Vancouver and then Jasper or Banff via Kamloops.

Hi Kamloops50. Rocky has run between Kamloops and Banff since their inception; several times a week. Some carry on to Calgary and others turn in Banff. This is the most popular of the routes.

The RM discountinued the Banff to Vancouver run in the early 2000. A friend is a manager with RM. They did do a couple specials in the spring & fall . They be doing daily service to Banff starting in 2014.

The RM discountinued the Banff to Vancouver run in the early 2000. A friend is a manager with RM. They did do a couple specials in the spring & fall . They be doing daily service to Banff starting in 2014.

Hmmmm, I would suggest that you check this link seems like your friend gave you some bad information.

http://www.rockymountaineer.com/en_CA_BC/routes_and_packages/canadian_rocky/first_passage_to_the_west

Thanks PD - I too wasn't aware that the RM went to Banff - it does like like this year that it isn't a daily service - so if it goes daily next year that will be a good enhancement.

Cheers

Dennis

We are considering one or the other of the RM trips out of Vancouver for 2014 so this thread is very useful for us. My thanks.

Yes to Gold Leaf at least for us. Wish to travel during the worst of the Texas summer weather.

I have done Gold Leaf on Rocky twice and it is incredible. Between Vancouver and the overnight at Kamloops the two journeys are exactly the same. East of Kamloops (on day #2) the Banff/Calgary sector is much more scenic than the Jasper run, but longer. Meals are very good as is the service. Enjoy!!

I have done Gold Leaf on Rocky twice and it is incredible. Between Vancouver and the overnight at Kamloops the two journeys are exactly the same. East of Kamloops (on day #2) the Banff/Calgary sector is much more scenic than the Jasper run, but longer. Meals are very good as is the service. Enjoy!!

Thanks for more information.

I have a brochure coming in the mail.

I'm thinking that a few days in Vancouver before the train (Rocky for sure) and then days and days of fantastic Canadian scenery.

Archived