Posting Pictures online

Any suggestions as to where I can post my most recent cruise pictures (for free)? I really like webshots community, but I've used up my "free" allotment and can't decide if it's worth paying for their upgraded service. Any ideas? Thanks!

Free is nice, but there's always a catch. I've been real pleased with http://www.pbase.com. See my site below. It's $23/year for 300 Mb. No pop-up ads, no limits, no prints to buy. I also like that I can upload a large photo (typically 600x800), and then the viewer can decide what size they want to see. I've heard good things about Smugmug too. If it were a $100, I might be looking for free too, but at $20-$30 per year, get a pay site. There's also Fotki, but it's a bit pricey. Also, are you sure you ISP doesn't offer storage?

I think the user interface is very important. Get test accounts, and try it out.

BTW, I've become SO ANNOYED with the pop-ups on Webshots, that I usually don't go there to look at pictures. A new ad with every photo - just great. :(

http://www.pbase.com/pricing.html

http://www.smugmug.com/price/

Review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1531770,00.asp

On Webshots you can open numerous accounts for free. Just change your user name slightly such as....

See Me

SeeMe 1

SeeMe 2 and so on.

Just add your new user names as "Favorites"on your original site.

As for pop-ups, there are a number of free pop-up stoppers available on the web. They work very well.

As for pop-ups, there are a number of free pop-up stoppers available on the web. They work very well.

I use the Google toolbar with popup blocker and have no problems with popups. It is a free download from Google.com. I can't remember the last time I had one. It allows you to permit popups at websites that you select, which is an important feature. Another thing that Google offers for free is an image editor/organizer called Picasa2. It is a great program for people who want a simple and basic editor and photo organizer. It is very easy to use and is quite elegant for a free program.

As you can see from my signature file, I use WebShots and have paid the fee for increased storage. I haven't tried anything else since I am pleased with WebShots. I download my pictures full sized (about 750 to 1200 MB) and have no problems with viewing. At least, no one has complained so far.

I use the Google toolbar with popup blocker and have no problems with popups ..... I use WebShots and have paid the fee for increased storage.

Yes, it's easy to block ads. Do the majority of people do it? No. I'm interested in making my site a nice place for people to visit. Also, even without the popups, Webshots has ads all over the page. Doesn't really help make your photos look better.

You upgraded Webshots. However, that's more per year than my $23 Pbase.com fees. AND, with Pbase.com I have no ads of any kind.

Fortunately, there's something out there for everyone. For me, when I display my photos, I like have having control over the whole window.

• 2 weeks later...

you can use geocities or some free webhost to make your site, then use free image hosts with unlimited bandwidth for the photos. Some that come to mind are ...

imageshack.us

imgfreak.com

hostedimage.com

paintedover.com

There are plenty more, search google for free image host. If you don't understand how to make a website, I suggest sticking to those that make the galleries for you.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice even though some of it was a little more technical than my untechnical brain can handle! I went ahead and opened another webshots account and have my pictures posted but still need to do some labeling.

Try photoworks.com. You can store for free. There are lots of fun things you can do with you're pictures. I have several years worth of pictures (hundreds of them) stored with them, and have been using them since before digital arrived on the scene. They used to be called Seattle Film Works years ago, the name changed to Photoworks. I used to send all my film to them, now I just do digital. It's great. You will be able to upload your pictures any time. The software has editing capabilities. You can also edit online. I highly recommend it.

Archived