Marseilles: LeCastellet and Sanary

bfree32

Our family recently completed a 7 days cruise on the NCL Epic. We weren't sure what to do in Marseilles after having some intense, full-day private tours in Italy. We opted to book the half-day trip to LeCastellet and Sanary. We hoped for a quick taste of France and we were very pleased.

I reviewed these boards and couldn't find much about this tour. Basically it includes a driving tour through Marseilles, an hour at a seaside village with time to shop or eat pastries, and an hour at a hilltop castle town with a bunch of small shops. Try to eat crepes here. The views of the local vineyards as well as the sea in the background were breathtaking.

Would recommend to others who want a slower, afternoon tour.

Note: I did read a complaint by another CC member about shops being closed in Sanary. This is true for SOME, not all of the shops. I too was initially disappointed. But after thinking about it, there is no way for a cruise line to offer this tour without encompassing the time from 1230-1500 when some of the shops were closed. If you went to LeCastellet first, then shops there would be closed at 1400. If you went in the morning, then shops would be closing at 1200 or 1230.

I went for the beauty of the French countryside. If you do the same, you will enjoy. Our family which includes 3 teens loved it.

Archived