lava viewing HIKE or HELICOPTER

tammie brooke

I have being reading the threads on the valcano lava Hike. If you have done this would you recommend viewing lava and doing the big hike or spending the money to view in the air on Helicopter. If you hike it would you recomment the tour or doing it on your own. We're in port from 7:00am - 6:00pm. Family of 4 Kids ages 10 and 13. Thank you I have never done this before and want to make the correct choice, I'm very confused THANK YOU.

The helicopter is the easy way. The hiking way is more difficult, strenuous, and with younger kids might be hard (though ages 10-13 would probably be fine). Might appeal more to people that like physical activity. Neither is guaranteed to see lava. The helicopter will have access to more terrain and better views of the lava that might be too dangerous to approach by land. The helicopter will definitely cost more (especially if you do the hike on your own without going with a tour or a guide).

Pros and cons either way. If money wasn't an object, I might go with the helicopter (did that before and it was an awesome sight). Personal choice, I think.

If you decide to do the helicopter, I'd still go to Volcano National Park to see the park in person. There's something about seeing it up close and in person and to breathe in the fumes ... :)

Spleen

You could certainly rent a car and do it yourself - or you could sign up with a private or ship tour to do it as well. I lean towards doing it yourself since it's pretty easy to navigate the Hilo area (not too many roads to get confused with) with your own rental car. As for helicopter companies - do a search in this forum for "helicopter Hilo volcano" - you'll probably find a bunch of recommendations. Here's one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=114831&highlight=helicopter+hilo+volcano

Blue Hawaiian has a very good reputation on the islands - despite the crash that they had a few years ago. Most of their pilots are ex-military helicopter pilots with a ton of experience which is another plus for them.

Spleen

As much of a fan as I am of hiking to the active lava flows, the only way to maximize the likelihood of seeing active lava is via helicopter. For the past few months, the activity at the coast has been reasonably accessible, with a 1.5-2 mile (each way) trek from the end of the road to the action. However, this could change in just a few days and active lava could be as much as ten miles from a road. Just when you think the eruption is in a nice "steady state" it can change.

The current eruption has been ongoing basically continuously since 1983. Even when activity is far up the pali and far away from any road it's still visible from helicopters the vast majority of the time. The terrain and activity is truly unearthly at and near the Pu'u O'o vent. It's the ride of a lifetime.

In fact, probably the only thing that will prevent you from seeing lava from a helicopter is weather. As many of you might know, it's rather soggy in the Puna district.

Once again, I strongly urge people who will soon be in Hilo to keep abreast of the activity via http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/

If I had my druthers, I'd druther see it from the ground. It's a bit more personal that way. I've done both, and both are extraordinary. Like spleen said, perhaps the most important factor is your own stamina, age, etc.

An auto tour (via rental) of the National Park at the summit is truly worthwhile regardless of other options.

Archived