weather in northern europe/baltic summer

squeakers

Hi Sqeakers,

we were on the Baltic Cruise in August of 2003. The weather in Europe was the hotest in years and when we boarded the ship in Dover, it all ended. By the time we got to St. Petersburg, it was downright cold -- 54 degrees and rain. I suggest you layer clothing and take a small umbrella. We used the umbrellas the line provided at the dock, but they were huge to carry.

Have a great time.

Sheila

As for small unbrellas, when we were on board the Regatta in April last year, the gift shop sold cute "three-fold" type of umbrellas for $10. It was not only convenient, but made a good souvenir that we still use occasionally!

We went the end of Aug/ beginning of Sept. The weather was great. It was very warm in St. Petersburg and the museums are warm. Wear light clothing. It was much cooler in Stockholm and Copenhagen and rained a couple of times. Hot in Hamburg, Germany; but not awful. Tallin was comfortable. It is probably the best time of year to go. Wish we had brought more shorts. One jacket is enough and an umbrella if your ship doesn't provide them. (Radisson did). You will love the Baltics!!!!!

Just returned from the Baltics with RSSC. I think weather all over the world is unpredictable and you should carry layers to be safe. Last summer in Alaska we hit record-breaking highs - 80s almost every day. We were sitting on the ship in bathing suits as if we were in the Mediterranean. Back to the Baltics:There were some mornings that I wore a T-shirt, light jacket, and a waterproof windbreaker and I slowly peeled stuff off as it got warmer. The weather in Helsinki changed every ten minutes: cloudy and cool, sunny, and warm, heavy rain, sun again, all day long. I much prefer a hooded rain jacket to an umbrella, but make sure it is waterproof. I wound up with wet underwear in Helsinki!

We took that cruise with Oceania last summer, the last week in July and the first week in August. We had two weeks of paradise. It was warm everywhere and it never rained. We spent 2 - 3 hours at the pool every afternoon after touring. But the ship personnel told us that the previous cruise had nothing but rain, and that we were actually the first cruise that season to enjoy good weather. I guess you have to be prepared for everything, but it seems like this is the perfect time to go.

Archived