Prepaid Photo Package Question

We are taking our first RCI cruise on the 8/22 sailing of the Explorer and have been dabating whether to purchase a prepaid digital photo package. The prices are $149.95 for 10 pictures, $199.95 for 15 pictures and $224.96 for all digital photos. However, our biggest concern re: prepaying is the possibility that we do not like the photos and are stuck with them because we prepaid. We have a 3 1/2 and a 1 year old so it is not uncommon for them to look away, close their eyes, etc. In other words, we would be more likely to buy a package if we like the photos after seeing them on board. Are these digital packages available on board and if so, are they the same price as the prepaid package (or is there a better value if purchased pre-cruise)? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

We are on the same cruise and are debating the same issue.

We usually buy 3-5 pictures on board for about $100. That is picking the few best. The 10/$149 package would work well for us. Since it is a 9 night cruise or close to 30% longer with four sea days, we will have plenty of photo opportunities.

The unlimited at $225 would force us to go to every photo op. I have read that some have had more than 200 photos taken. Being that an 8x10 print will cost about $3 each at a discount store, you would need to grab 33 photos to make up the extra $100 for the printed unlimited package at $325. They do not print every photo you take, but I think if you hit the photo gallery daily and have them put it in your folder, you may get more prints. I'm not sure if we really need 33 prints and the $225 package would be fine with us printing a few at a discount store.

Thanks for helping me talk my way into a decision.:)

I pre-paid for the unlimited package before my recent cruise on Radiance of the Seas. I paid $249.95.

My adult son was supposed to travel with me and the last time we cruised together I spent well over $200 on pix. At the last minute he was unable to go so I made the cruise solo. I debated backing out of the package but decided to keep it.

On the ship they were pushing the package at $299.95 discounted to $249.95! I told the first photographer that took my picture that I'd paid for the package and I was expecting them to take lots of pictures.:)

By the end of the cruise I had 35 photos in my file. Yes, some of them weren't that great and I probably wouldn't have purchased them; but most of them were good and I have plenty to share with my family. I definitely got my money's worth at roughly $7/per photo.

We're going to get it this year. The unlimited, but not printed. I'm afraid I would ruin them before I got home.

The reason is that DH and I cruise by ourselves and unless we ask someone to snap our photo it's always "me by the historic marker" and "him by the historic marker." At least this way, we will have pics of us together, on formal night, at ports, etc. We bought ten last year and I would definitely have posed for more pics if I had the unlimited.

Oh, also, if you buy them digitally, you have to watch how you print them out. I did some 4x6s and with the writing and the frames, it didn't come out that well, so next time we will go a bit bigger or crop the writing and frames out.

I pre-paid for the unlimited package before my recent cruise on Radiance of the Seas. I paid $249.95.

My adult son was supposed to travel with me and the last time we cruised together I spent well over $200 on pix. At the last minute he was unable to go so I made the cruise solo. I debated backing out of the package but decided to keep it.

On the ship they were pushing the package at $299.95 discounted to $249.95! I told the first photographer that took my picture that I'd paid for the package and I was expecting them to take lots of pictures.:)

By the end of the cruise I had 35 photos in my file. Yes, some of them weren't that great and I probably wouldn't have purchased them; but most of them were good and I have plenty to share with my family. I definitely got my money's worth at roughly $7/per photo.

My table mates told me that they got it for 199 dollars but I went along and it was only start within 1 to 4 days special offer but I was too late but however I purchased 249 dollars for lots of pictures and one album as it was good for 4 of us.

We purchased the cd / print package on our Alaska cruise while on the ship. I was not sure if we wanted to pre-purchase either so I just waited until on board.

We got a ton of photos taken & printed. BUT also, had some issues as the cd included photos that were not printed and some that were printed but on cd?? NOT sure why or how.

If you purchase on ship and are not happy they will refund your money, so that maybe something to think about as well.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

We are sailing on Oasis of the Seas (7 day cruise) on 11/23/13. I am also considering pre-purchasing our cruise CD. They say it is offered at a discounted price prior to sailing (currently $210 for 15 photos/ $260 for 20 photos/ $370 unlimited # of photos online).

My question is: In your experience, was the pre-purchase price actually less than the cost of purchasing the photo CD on board? If so, do you recall how much of a discount it actually was?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

We are on the same cruise and are debating the same issue. They do not print every photo you take, but I think if you hit the photo gallery daily and have them put it in your folder, you may get more prints.

I bought the unlimited package as well. I thought we get every single photo in print? How does it work? Do I go to the photo gallery everyday and choose what I want printed? Otherwise it will just be in digital format? What if I want very photo in print as well as in digital format?

I posted this on another similar thread in reply to someone asking if the printed photos was worth the extra $100. Basically-yes. This was our experience on the Oasis 10/13 and Allure 6/12.

------------------------------------------

This is from our experience, so take it for what it's worth.

I would add the prints now instead of waiting (justified below). I don't work for RCI, but know about photography, and how their systems work from experience. Plus, I've heard bad stories with adding options after you board since the two systems are separate and that info doesn't cross over to theirs. You actually have to add the package to your account on board, but they will remove any charges (be sure to confirm this). I beleive you have to do this, so they know to generate the CD.

Prints were $20.95 for 8x10 and $14.95 for 5x7's on the Oasis last month. Most of them are the 8x10 size. Some of the port photos are the smaller size.

5-8x10's would already be over $100. But, you can have the digital ones printed yourself. But even if you had about 100 shots, you couldn't print all those for $100. Even at Costco (which I can't recommend, 100 printed 8x10's would be over $200) You can use the extras for giving to family, etc.

My recommendation to anyone getting the unlimted, take as many photos as you can stand. You never know which ones will be the best and it gives you more options. Plus not all photographers are the best. We've had the occasional photgrapher take horrible photos. You will soon learn which ones are better.

Also, check the kiosks against those that were printed or mabe damaged/bent. If any are missing (not printed), you can order these on the kiosk and not be charged. I did this since about 50 of ours were missing. It will show a cost (mine was over $1000), but they didn't charge me. For extra measure, tell someone at the counter that they were missing and they will note this on your account so you are not charged.

Final word of advice with pre-paid packages--take two copies of your receipt!! And check your account the night before you debark to make sure no extra photo charges are there for the unlimited packages. Either prepay for everything you want, or pay on board. Don't try to mix the two.

I could go on, but won't. I've generally been happy with the product. It could be better, but this is a high production (some loss of quality) process.