Chakanaab Helmet Dive

boingy300

We just returned from the Chakanaab Helmet Dive. We sailed 6/19-26 Mariner of the Seas (RCCL). We went with the cruise line and we were disappointed. We went w/ a group of 5. Our twins were the youngest at 11. The excursion markets that we dive at Chakanaab in an intimate group of 8. We didn't go to Chakanaab AT ALL, but to a supposed oyster farm close to the pier....read:nets in the water. It was only the second day they'd taken people there and were very interested in our feedback....not reimbursement, just our feedback. We saw few fish (which granted they can't help, but they also didn't try to feed them or encourage fish in any way). AND our group had 12 people so we had our time cut in half, so that all could dive as there were only 8 helmets. We got 20-25 min tops in the water, including putting on our helmets and climb time. Once down there we walked in a small circle, watched the diver do the Macarena and a magic trick. Hardly worth $90 pp! I have written to the company (RCCL), but I don't expect reimbursement. I am requesting the entrance fee to Chakanaab be refunded. RCCL said they never promised Chakanaab, even though the tour is called "Chakanaab Helmet Dive". They also said it wasn't their fault there weren't any fish. So if $90 is worth it to put on a 75 lb. helmet and watch a local do the macarena.....go for it. We may not be doing RCCL excursions in the future. I expected more! We DID end up going to Paradise Beach afterwards. This made for a great beach Day. I'd skip Labadee's Aqua Park and give the dollars to Paradise beach's Aqua Park ($8 pp includes lounge chair,umbrella,floating mat,Aqua Park AND snorkel!) $4pp taxi ride. THAT was money well spent. Again I was very,very disappointed in this excursion AND RCCL's attitude! This is our 6th cruise w/ them and was saddened by their response/treatment.

Karen

This is interesting because of comments made regarding how easy it is to get refunded by the shore excursion departments of the cruise lines. Apparently the poster has never encountered this. You should be able to complain and be satisfied, all according to post in the ¨Cruise Lines Manipulates Passengers¨ thread.

Your review points out that those are wrong headed concepts. You are just as likely to be disappointed by a cruise sold tour as one bought off the street. You are probably more likely to receive a partial or full refund dealing with the tour provider and not the tour marketer, i.e., the cruise shore excursion department.

This forum is great for this purpose. Folks can screen their tours in advance and avoid the very dissapointment you report here in most cases.

I`m interested in that oyster farm however, what do you know about that after your underwater visit to it?

Thanks for your efforts.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, dear, that sounds like a mess! You've just convinced me to go directly to the vendor at Chankanaab or through Cozumel Insider if I try this out!

Our ship charges $109 +$2 marine fee and it includes park admission, snorkel equipment and transportation. Cozumel Insider charges $52 for marine fee, park admission and snorkel equipment. Does anyone know what Sand Dollar charges when you just show up and try to arrange it with them after taking a cab and paying the park admission?

I just got off the phone with Royal Carribean. They are declining any refund. They said that because it's a private vendor they cannot reimburse me anything. Now I purchased this through RCCL! I booked a Chakanaab helmet dive, that didn't go to Chakanaab at all! AND our time was cut in half because our intimate group of ONLY eight turned into 12,so we halved our time. I had/have no desire to see an oyster farm, and if that was the focus, then I would NOT have done the excursion. I learned that I never want to see an oyster farm again, that's what I learned! I am very,very disappointed with RCCL's response and will most likely NEVER do an excursion through them again! I hate to see the standards slip! Keep in mind I was only requesting $12 pp be refunded for failure to go to Chakanaab (which is the admission price into Chakanaab), not reimbursement of $92 PER PERSON for the dive. Watch Sea Trek, as they are the company that changed the excursion and took us to the oyster farm. I'm very, very disappointed! They won't get my money again either!

Karen

Archived