Conversion of OBC (FCC, Shareholder, etc) to Australian Dollars

beg3yrs

Would someone who has the experience, explain how when a US person goes on the Aussie Experience cruises, Princess handles monetary conversion of FCC and Shareholder credits which are originally in USD?

Would someone who has the experience, explain how when a US person goes on the Aussie Experience cruises, Princess handles monetary conversion of FCC and Shareholder credits which are originally in USD?

I'm going to send this link to my friend who dealt with it on their two Australia and NZ cruises. (Dawn and Sun)

I'm going to send this link to my friend who dealt with it on their two Australia and NZ cruises. (Dawn and Sun)

Thanks Pia, I appreciate it.

I've "done the math" and from all my sources (Shareholder, FCC and TA), I should have X amount in US dollars.

The new feature on the Princess web-site shows the same X, but notes that it is in Australian dollars.

I know the exchange rate is not one-to-one right now, in fact as of today the bank rate is $1.00 USD to $1.12 AUD, a 12% difference.

Not something to ignore.

Thanks Pia, I appreciate it.

I've "done the math" and from all my sources (Shareholder, FCC and TA), I should have X amount in US dollars.

The new feature on the Princess web-site shows the same X, but notes that it is in Australian dollars.

I know the exchange rate is not one-to-one right now, in fact as of today the bank rate is $1.00 USD to $1.12 AUD, a 12% difference.

Not something to ignore.

What I found interesting, is that the "you can't live without it stuff at $10" is $20 AUD on those cruises. Not such a bargain.

According to Carnival's Shareholder Benefit document, the OBC for Carnival, Princess, Costa, and Cunard is determined by the operational currency of the vessel.

I.e. the Shareholder OBC of $250 for the Dawn will clearly be in AUD and is not converted from USD. Certainly makes their accounting simpler.

The Future Cruise Credit letters are pretty ambiguous regarding the currency of the OBC so I'm still unsure about that one. Most likely they'll use the same practice they do for Shareholder OBC.

Looking forward to hearing from Pia's friend who has first-hand experience.

Capture.JPG.d6766498c648c780b3496b6e2327d170.JPG

What I found interesting, is that the "you can't live without it stuff at $10" is $20 AUD on those cruises. Not such a bargain.

I suppose even with the exchange rate moving in favor of the USD, I'll still have to learn to live without that stuff.

Heck, even at $10 USD we pass on "stuff". We already have too many things to dust at home and we're done with buying friends useless souvenirs they didn't want anyway.

According to Carnival's Shareholder Benefit document, the OBC for Carnival, Princess, Costa, and Cunard is determined by the operational currency of the vessel.

I.e. the Shareholder OBC of $250 for the Dawn will clearly be in AUD and is not converted from USD. Certainly makes their accounting simpler.

The Future Cruise Credit letters are pretty ambiguous regarding the currency of the OBC so I'm still unsure about that one. Most likely they'll use the same practice they do for Shareholder OBC.

Looking forward to hearing from Pia's friend who has first-hand experience.

She has been incommunicado for the past few days. I'm sure to hear from her today.

When we were on the Dawn P two years ago everything was more expensive than on the US oriented ships. At the time, I was paying $4.95 for my scotch and water plus 15% tip, so $5.70. On the Dawn it was $7.60, with no tip added.

When we were on the Dawn P two years ago everything was more expensive than on the US oriented ships. At the time, I was paying $4.95 for my scotch and water plus 15% tip, so $5.70. On the Dawn it was $7.60, with no tip added.

Argh! The exchange rate will have to get down to 0.75 USD / AUD to make that even. Don't see that happening between now and October.

Oh well, it's a cruise.

BTW Paul, one of my favorite drinks is scotch minus the water. Do you think that would cost less? :D

Archived