I'm Torn Balcony or Not

rick&james

Again. That's why there are colors. Some like red some like blue. I would say I spend about 15 minutes in the morning, another 30 minutes in the evening to shower before dinner and come back to our cabin after midnight to sleep. It is a no brainier for us. For others who like to spend time in their balconies it will be worth the extra expense to them.

That's not quite how you put it in your other post.

We should "relax at home". Sounded like we 'should just stay at home '.

No harm done though. :)

I've been watching the prices for a Balcony for upcoming cruise August 18th I got a Inside for 973 total for Two but looking at the Balcony's they are not bulging a extra 480.00 total is it worth it with this itinerary only one sea day dilemma....

Just took my first balcony experience and will never go back. being able to eat breakfast on the deck and at night a drink or cigar or both before heading to bed. Reading a book maybe having some tunes going on the ipod with a speaker. Was awesome and worth the price difference I saw.

We love balconies, but:

1. the price must be right (as we don't hate the dark, quiet, interior cabins)

2. we won't book another balcony on Carnival until they stop allowing smoking out there. It's no fun paying for a balcony you can't use.

Note: not looking to start a war here. Just stating a fact.

We could never book an inside - I have to have natural light and I have to know when I wake up if it is morning or night! I love the balcony and use it a lot for quiet time reading and just watching the sea go by. I have booked OV's on the fantasy class ships where having a balcony means a suite - can't justify that cost. A good compromise is the port hole cabins - natural light at an inside cost!

Just an aside - our first cruise was in a port hole cabin, but it was before they changed the categories, so it was considered an ocean view. We booked one week before a holiday weekend cruise and our porthole - for a 3 day cruise cost over $600pp! Royal was about the same price and the only reason I went with Carnival was a sea day - Royal had 2 ports.

• 2 weeks later...
Good things come to those who wait I got upsell call to Balcony Deck 10 Panorama for 200 total so I saved myself 280 by waiting

Patience is a virtue! Congratulations and enjoy your cruise!! :D

We have our first balcony booked for our November Legend cruise mainly because we are not going to do 2 of the 4 ports and will have more time to enjoy. Otherwise we are quite content in an inside :p

A few cruises ago, we got a Porthole cabin. I wanted to try it and it was only a 5 night cruise. Previously, we cruised with balconies.

I smoke, the DH doesn't. Back then, smoking in cabins was allowed but I didn't smoke in the cabin.

Anyway, it was a real PITA going up to Lido in the AM for a smoke. I had to get dressed instead of just stepping out on the balcony.

My DH really missed having the balcony as well.

All this to say...I learned we are balcony people. We get a balcony or we don't go.

OTOH...$480 is a good chunk of change. It can buy a lot of DODs!

Same for us, only DH is the smoker. On our first cruise I had upgraded to a balcony without him knowing, and once he got over the shock of how much extra money I spent, he said it was well worth it. I also get up earlier in the mornings so I would hang out on the balcony until he got up.

Now we can't cruise without a balcony, and if April we'll actually be trying out an aft balcony.

On the other hand we don't drink so we.use our 'booze budget' for the balcony.

I've been watching the prices for a Balcony for upcoming cruise August 18th I got a Inside for 973 total for Two but looking at the Balcony's they are not bulging a extra 480.00 total is it worth it with this itinerary only one sea day dilemma....

I've had Ocean View, Interior, and Balcony. I didn't use the balcony in Alaska or the Mediterranean. Might be different in Caribbean, but then again, I'm not sure.

I love interiors. I am a light sleeper and it helps me to sleep because it gets so dark.

We loved the balcony on the Dream and on the Freedom ... but on the 5 night shorter cruises (not only are they not alot of cabins that have a balcony) we just choose an oceanview .... but we definitely think the balcony is worth the money :) but I know that everyone has different priorities. My husband smokes so he likes to be able to walk out and smoke instead of having to go out to a smoking area.

I have done 48 cruises and had balcony on 3 of them. If you want a little me time and spend time in your room its OK. I don't like spending $250/$400 more PP and like the dark insides. We spend very little time in our room as we are out & about on the ship all day. When we had a balcony I drank coffee in the morning and a mixed drink while wife finished getting ready in the evening other than that we did not use it......Dennis

But ... will you continue to be?

Ok...should have said that this is the first one for "us", but a few years ago I went on a "girls" cruise and we had a balcony. Since then hubby and I did the Paradise and we had an inside and honestly it was just fine since we were really never in the room....but this time I was willing to spend the extra $$ because I know that we will spend more time in the room plus the time of the year will allow me to sit out there more. I live in FL and really not interested in warm sticky air for any longer than I have to LOL :p

We're doing our first cruise in November. Since we're not "people" people, and enjoy the quiet, I figure the balcony is one way for us to recover from being around so many people all day long. I could be wrong, and find it a waste of money but since it's our anniversary, I think we deserve it. *grin*

We're doing our first cruise in November. Since we're not "people" people, and enjoy the quiet, I figure the balcony is one way for us to recover from being around so many people all day long. I could be wrong, and find it a waste of money but since it's our anniversary, I think we deserve it. *grin*

I feel the same way. For me it is a refuge away from people, crowds, and noise when I need it. We love being out on the balcony in the mornings with room service, in the afternoons for a little quite time on sea days, coming and going from port, and winding down in the evenings. Guess you can tell I am a balcony lover :D

Once you go balcony you never go back! :)

I disagree.

I go back to Interior all the time. My next cruise I have a French Balcony (obstructed) because it was the same price as an Interior.

Every time I see the price of a balcony cabin, I think, "but I could take three cruises for the price of two if I take an interior".

I just don't use the balcony except to dry clothes on the lawn chairs.

Archived