Epic: info pls re Wifi charges/Internet cafe

smallworld73

Family consists of 2 teenage girls both have ipods for social networking etc (as do I!) Having been stung by roaming charges before, I would like to find out about charges for wifi on the ship and charges for the internet cafe. To be honest, it would be great to be free of the things for a week but I want to find out so we can decide whether it is worth taking the ipods. Also, I have downloaded the NCL app for use on the ship, is it a swizz as they'll charge me megabucks to use it? And is it any good?

Plan on NOT doing this, at least not much.

WIFI will cost you from $.40 to $.75 per minute for a somewhat slow connection. And, if you do not log out, it will really kill you. If you want to let them do a little, I would suggest you log them in, and YOU log them out. That way you can control the damage.

The online app is for online use only. It will NOT connect back to the rest of the world.

Internet cost is the same on phone, tablet, your PC or their PC.

Texting back to the U.S. will cost you for each text - no matter what plan you are on. Phone calls are $2.49 a minute, again, no matter what plan you are on.

Having sailed on the Jade before, we used the laundry service towards the end of the week. I seem to remember the deal was per bag rather than per item. This time we're on the Epic and I guess the same deal applies? And did I imagine it or are there retractable washing lines in the shower room for swimming costumes etc? Edited by smallworld73
Mods: please move this to new thread? Thanks

[quote name='garycarla']Plan on NOT doing this, at least not much.

WIFI will cost you from $.40 to $.75 per minute for a somewhat slow connection. And, if you do not log out, it will really kill you. If you want to let them do a little, I would suggest you log them in, and YOU log them out. That way you can control the damage.

The online app is for online use only. It will NOT connect back to the rest of the world.

Internet cost is the same on phone, tablet, your PC or their PC.

Texting back to the U.S. will cost you for each text - no matter what plan you are on. Phone calls are $2.49 a minute, again, no matter what plan you are on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. We are UK based but wherever you come from it's very expensive to use technology on board! Perhaps it's best to leave everything at home and just forget facebook & twitter for a week

I was on the Epic in July and needed to use the internet to monitor things at work.

It seemed pretty complicated to make sure I was logged out when using my own device.

I was not comfortable with that so I just went to the internet room and used their computer--they have little minute timer that tells you how many minutes you have used/left when you log out. There is no such timer on your own device--I asked.

The cost was pretty reasonable I thought. Something like $55 for 100 minutes and I got 20 extra minutes cause I had my print out coupon and also used a coupon they had in the daily if you signed up the first day.

I did not use the ship app
I also arranged with Verizon (my phone plan) for international calls--you would not need that cause you are from the UK. Just make sure that you use your phone when IN PORT. Once you are underway, you will be using the ship's satellites and be charged 2.49 per minute

hope this helps --wish I were going with you!

I work in the tech field, and I usually just unplug for the week when I'm on the cruise. I take my phone with me when I'm in port, in case of emergencies (or if I find some free wi-fi) but generally I just turn everything off.

After a busy couple weeks, I very much look forward to unplugging. :D

[quote name='eigig']..

It seemed pretty complicated to make sure I was logged out when using my own device...[/QUOTE]

It was not obvious to me at first using iphone, but then found out that you just enter logout.com or logoff.com in the browser. It shuts you off and gives you a new subtotal of minutes left.

Used the same login for both iphones, ipad and laptop. Log in, grab mail, log off. Maybe do quick facebook update without wasting time reading. Then, after replying to emails, etc, log back in. Most sessions were under 5 minutes.

• 3 months later...
[quote name='lyssa13']Does anyone have the package rates for wifi onboard? I have to connect for email throughout the week for work and wonder what types of packages they offer.[/QUOTE]

The info about the plans is readily available on NCL's site, see here:

[url]http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access[/url]

Happy sailing!

[quote name='Demonyte']The info about the plans is readily available on NCL's site, see here:

[url]http://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access[/url]

Happy sailing![/QUOTE]

Bummer! Was hoping like they would offer something like Carnival and do an unlimited package! Does anyone know if they offer something like that on the first day? With Carnival you had until day 2 to purchase the unlimited special. It was so nice to not have to worry!