Photo of MSC's new 130,000 ton ship

Cruising89143

Cruisingator2

Thank you for posting the link to the drawing/picture. Also the story is nice to read, as it likes a advertisement. But 3887+1313= a lot of people !! :eek:

I hope they make a wrap-around (nep)teakdeck under the lifeboats. Then you can walk around in the shade. :)

I am in for the test-sailing from St. Nazare to the Med. for about 5/6 days :D

Henri.

Hi

Thank you for posting this, Henri.

I don't read French, but the rendering of the ship looks nice.

However, I'm sorry that MSC feels the need to add another mega-size ship to the glut of mega-ships already cruising.

MSC has a nice niche market in those of us who enjoy the more intimate mid-size and smaller ships. Does MSC intend to join the ranks of the mass-marketed clone cruiselines? I hope not. MSC currently offers something unique in the cruise market, it would be a shame for their uniqueness to disappear, or diminish, in such a large ship.

A cruise line needs to appeal to a large segment of people to fill so many cabins. Here in the US, MSC is still fairly unknown.

As we already know from prior posts here, many people simply do not "get it" when it comes to MSC's appeal. I think that MSC, by necessity, will need to broaden their appeal, and therefore water-down their special brand of cruising ambience to fill a large ship, especially if cruising out of the USA.

That said, I wish MSC a huge success with their new ship.

*just my own thoughts, playing devil's advocate*

kj

Hello,

I think the 'big' ships are in future for the U.S. market.

Agree with your thoughts about the big ships, but..... MSC still have the beautiful 'mid-sizers' Lirica, Opera, Armonia, Sinfonia, and the 'classics' Monterey, Rhapsody, Melody. So...I think this is a very good choice you can make. All the ship has their own beauty. I hope MSC keeps it this way.

For example : real sailing incl. shaking (!, oldies), softly floating (Opera-type), and fun/mass (newest).

Henri.

Um, I'm sorry but the rendering didn't seem attractive to me at all! Not to worry, few ships these days are that attactive from the outside, and it's the inside that tends to matter most.

I wonder what the interior design will be like? With RCCL really raising the bar for ultra-large ships, I wonder if MSC will be skating rinks and shopping malls or ocean liner and classic detail. Time will tell!

Archived