Security of Dive Gear

Chevdiver

How secure is the baggage area once we check in? Are others comfortable leaving their dive gear with the porters until it is delivered? How about leaving it outside your room the night before you disembark. As a first time cruiser, I am nervous about this. Thanks for your thoughts.

I just went diving on my western caribbean cruise and took all my gear with me. The port area is very secure, just like an airport. I did keep my regulators and computer with me at all times as I didn't want anyone handeling them roughly. I had no problems and wouldn't hesitate to let the cruise line handle most of my dive gear.

Thanks. That is good to know. Did you all use wetsuits? If so, which kind? I can't decide on what to buy. A 3mm shorty, a 3mm full piece, or something less? Did you need to bring a weight belt, or did the dive tours provide the belt and weights? Sorry for all the questions, just want to be as prepared as possible.

I think that as long as you don't pack your gear in a bag that has any markings on it that identify it as scuba gear, you will be fine. I've not had problems with my gear. I carry on my reg & computer, the rest goes in a rolling duffle I bought at Target. It blends right in.

Did you all use wetsuits? If so, which kind? I can't decide on what to buy. A 3mm shorty, a 3mm full piece, or something less?
Which wetsuit to buy is a very personal choice. It will depend on how easily you get cold, what the water temp is likely to be, and how many dives you do in a day. For me, I would want to have the most protection from the sun and things that sting. That is why I have a 3mm full. Since I do get cold easily, I also take a hood. I know I look funny, but I stay warm.

What should you get? Get a full suit, probably a 3mm. That way you will be good to go no matter what time of year you cruise. Right now they seem to be on sale at many sporting goods stores. The suits they advertise for water skiing work fine for diving and they should be on sale.

Did you need to bring a weight belt, or did the dive tours provide the belt and weights?
You do not need your own weight belt. If you BC isn't weight integrated, the dive OP will have belts for you.

Thanks for sharing. sounds like a 3mm full is the best choice to protect against the things that sting. I came face to face with a huge Jellyfish while on a boat dive off Pebble Beach. I turned and there it was, about 12" from my mask. Before I realized I was wearing a 7mm full suit with hood and the works, I found myself back pedaling and sculling like a wild man. Then after a second, which seemed like an hour, I was clear of it. I relaxed, watched it harmlessly float away, and finished an awesome dive with about 500 lbs less air in my tank. Vis was less than 10 feet and needless to say my dive buddy was almost in shock. I whipped out the trusty ole slate and wrote jellyfish to put his mind at ease. That little experience made for some great stories that evening around the campfire. He honestly thought I had and encounter with a gw shark.

I've had several encounters with Jelly fish. They grow pretty large in the Pacific Northwest. The lion's mane can get really large and trail it's tentacles 12 ft or a bit more. Despite wearing a drysuit and hood, I did manage to get stung on just about the only bit of bare skin showing, just above my lip. Ouch.

The small moon jellies are pretty harmless but they are hard to photograph. I did get lucky to have my dive buddy act as a background for this photo:

jelly-camera.jpg

I don't think you will regret getting a 3 mm full suit.

Have a great cruise

How secure is the baggage area once we check in? Are others comfortable leaving their dive gear with the porters until it is delivered? How about leaving it outside your room the night before you disembark. As a first time cruiser, I am nervous about this. Thanks for your thoughts.

We travel with all our gear in regular suitcases, and have never had a problem on any cruise. Also with the security changes at airports, we gave up locks and switched to using cable ties to secure our suitcases. You can buy them in bulk at Home Depot, lowes, etc. in multiple sizes and bright colors - so not only can you tell if your suitcase has been tampered with, but they help identify your suitcase on the luggage carousel ....I carry a small nailclipper to cut them off.

I take all my gear except wetsuits with me. Just too heavy and too hard to get dry. I also carry on the plain my dive computer and regulators. Like it was mentioned above they are too delicate to be handled in baggage. As far as the security goes, I don't know what other option you have other than to rent equipment. I've never had a problem, but am sure some people have. Have a good trip

I pack it in a Mark One, Mod Zero, U.S. Military duffle bag, which is scuffed, a bit musty and nearly indestructable.

Who'd want to steal that? :p

It has gone thru Miami International countless times. Now, what do you thing the result would be for a nice new bag with SCUBAPRO proudly blazing on the side?

I can get 2 sets of m/f/s BC and 1/8" wet suits in there - hand carry the reg sets, unpressurized cargo bins can be hell on depth gauges. I pack more user friendly carry bags for the actual diving if I'll be lugging gear much.

Get the weights and bottles there.....

computers....we don't need no stinken computers

certified in 1973 - 2 hose regs rule!

Thanks to all. I picked up a really nice roller duffle from Costco that will hold all my stuff just fine. I really like the idea of those plastic cable ties. I will grab some of them too. As for the reg bags, they will definately stay with me. Now, all that is left is the praying to the weather gods for clear warm sunny days, calm seas, and great vis.

Thanks to all. I picked up a really nice roller duffle from Costco that will hold all my stuff just fine. I really like the idea of those plastic cable ties. I will grab some of them too. As for the reg bags, they will definately stay with me. Now, all that is left is the praying to the weather gods for clear warm sunny days, calm seas, and great vis.

Have a terrific time!! Post a review when you get back!!

Do you think a wetsuit is really needed in Coz......?
It would depend on several factors: the water temperature at the time of your visit, you personal cold tolerance, length of dives, number of dives that day, desire for protection from the sun and pokey things.

Personal, being a skinny guy, I have a low tolerance for cold and I like the total sun/pokey thing protection. I wear a 3mm full when ever I dive in warm water, no matter the temperature. I've never been too warm on a dive.

You have to decide what will work for you. Some people dive Cozumel in nothing more than a t-shirt and shorts. I've seen a DM wear 7mm on a dive.

Besides, I think I look better in a wetsuit:

Me_on_gun.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Chevdiver,

Just to add my two cents to the discussion, I carry all the gear that I take with me. If there's a problem later, then I'll have no one to blame for the mis-handling but myself.

With that said, I am from Long Island, New York and most of our cruises have been out of New York Harbor. On those cruises from the Florida ports, my wife and I drive NY to FL, so it is in my care the entire time.

I usually carry two dive skins with me. One is straight nylon, the second is a 1mm PolarTec lined skin. Which one I use depends upon the dive conditions. On LI, I use a two piece 7MM suit, though even in 65 degree water, I do not usually wear a hood.

Enjoy your diving.

Roger

Do you think a wetsuit is really needed in Coz, and Costa Maya?

Has anyone dived in Cosat Maya?

right now people are coming back and saying the water temp in Cozumel is around 82-84. Even if you don't take a wet suit. Take a skin. They get those thimble jelly fish. Never know when they will have a bunch of them.

I just got a note from Alison in Cozumel (scubawithalison.com) and she said the water temp was almost 86 and folks have been diving without suits. But, I am taking my 3mm anyway and will decide whether to wear them or not based on the conditions the day of our dives. thanks to all who posted their comments.

We have been on 3 cruises so far and scheduled to go on our 4th this november and have been diving on every one. The first cruise my husband was a bit nervous about the regulators so he had them in our carryon but the rest of the equipment he checked through. we have never had a problem so far and nothing has been damaged or lost. he is now more concerned about all the underwater camera equipment then he is about the regulators.

Cozumel had the best diving so far and can't wait to go back.

sue and randy johnson

legend of the seas - 11/19/05:cool:

Do you think a wetsuit is really needed in Coz, and Costa Maya?

Has anyone dived in Cosat Maya?

We love to cruise and dive. Have done Costa Maya a couple of times. The first time just after the port had opened was incredible. Very pristine. Not that you asked but I recommend Arturo at Dorados Tours.

I'm ALWAYS cold so despite getting laughed at I wear my 5mm with hood and to heck ;) with them. My friends dove in their bathing suits and were fine.

We've never had a problem checking our gear at the port though we carry our dive regs, computers and camera - which depending on which airport you go through is always interesting.

Speaking of having wet wetsuits to deal with (try getting a 5mm to dry out) can't wait to try the new insta-dry hendersons.

Enjoy,

For extra help--take clothes pins. They help wherever I travel. Hanging your booties upside down to dry(dries faster). Hanging out towels wetsuits,( I always carry my 3mm full for night dives.

On a cruise I use locks when driving to port---going on a land trip I use cable ties.:)

Here's our experience. We checked our dive gear once on Royal Caribbean (a cruise aboard the Enchantment of the Seas in the mid 90's) and had some small items taken out of the bag - namely my mask and snorkel and from my husband's bag, his old ikelite UW camera (the kind you could put in a disposable camera). They were gone by the time we got our bags, and no one (neither the ship or the port) accepted responsibility.

Since then, we used to carry on all our dive gear when we cruised, but lately, our dive duffle has not been small enough to get through the secruity check-point prior to embarking. Seems, we have no trouble carrying it on the plane, but the ship is different.

So now, we carry on our cameras, regs and BC's (in our small dive duffles) and pack the rest among our clothing. So if you ask me, is it safe to hand over your dive gear to the ship porters, I will have to tell you, probably not. But what choice do you have? If they are going to take something, I'd rather it be something I didn't pay over $400! I think we got lucky they didn't take the entire bag! I can always get a mask and snorkel for well under $100. I wouldn't pack all your gear in one bag that you plan to check in. I would recommend you pack it among your clothing.

We fly through Miami and Puerto Rico to get to dive destinations, and both of these airports have huge problems with dive gear theft. We never, never, never check in our dive gear - we've always been able to carry it on the plane with us - probably helps we have soft backed travel type bc's. But a cruise is a different story.

Thanks for the good advice. I think I will break it up. that is a great idea. I plan to carry on my regs and masks and split up the BC's and fins. I picked up a couple Mares ESA masks a few years back and really love them. I would hate to lose them.

Just returned from a week in Coz .... water temp was 84. Wore my 3 mil shortie but got the heck bit out of me by the thimble jellyfish on my arms, legs & neck. DH just wore a bathing suit & t-shirt and didn't get a bite on him (except the mosquitos!!) We checked all our gear (on Continental) except the regs & camera. I had just ordered a set of the new TSA approved locks from Tamperseal on-line and so all 4 bags were locked. One was searched by TSA, but had no problems and nothing was missing. Actually due to an airline screw up, our bags went to Coz the day before us, and were still fine. Some other travelers had their bags also go a day earlier but their bags were gone thru and some minor items taken. Don't believe they had locks on them. We've done a number of cruises and fly vacations with our dive gear checked, and never had a problem yet - but then we use plain old regular suitcases and mostly mix the gear in with the clothes.

Archived