Re : Taking a toddler on a Med cruise

m_duck

We are going on a 12 night cruise from Barcelona on the RCI Serenade of the Seas in September with our 23 month old son. We have cruised with him before from Singapore on the Voyager (@ 6 months) and Southampton on the Adventure (@ 18 months). As we have cruised before with him and it is our honeymoon I have blown the budget on a 2 bedroom suite so I’m fairly happy with the sleeping arrangements, food and general activities on board.

I’ve been doing various research on the different ports and have a fair idea of what I think we will be doing. I was wandering if people who have travelled with a toddler around the med had any other thoughts or ideas on what we can do on port days.

Barcelona - we have been before and I’ve been using http://www.kidsinbarcelona.com/ I was thinking of maybe using the hop on and off bus. Spending time in the parks and at the beach.

Cannes - I have a walking tour downloaded and was then planning on visting a free children’s playground close to the Palais des Festivals area on the boulevard de Croisette (near to the public beach where the Petit Train departs from). After lunch I thought a boat trip over to Isle St Marguerite would be nice.

La Spezia - this is a port I’m not sure about what to do. I like the idea of an excursion to Cinque Terre but am unsure of a DIY tour and was thinking of taking a ship excursion but it says it is 7 hours long which might be a bit much.

Civitavecchia - We are planning on taking the train to Santa Marinella and/or Santa Severa for a beach day as I think the trip into Rome would be too much for Charlie. 5 minutes on the train (in the Rome direction) will take you to Santa Marinella which is a typical Italian seaside town with a good beach and cafes, etc. Another 10 minutes or so will take you to Santa Severa which has a 9th century castle on the beach and there is a small museum. You need to take the port bus from the ship to the port entrance and then it is approx. a 10 min walk to the train station.

Venice - We have an overnight in Venice and have both been before several times. We would like to visit the Peggy Guggenheim Museum and there is a lovely garden that children can play in. When we have been before we have tended to stay away from St Marks and headed to the university where the canals are quieter. I do have a fear of Charlie going head over heals into the Grand Canal !!!!!

Ravenna - I’m looking at catching the train to Rimini but haven’t researched too much yet.

Kotor - This looks like a lovely town so the plan is for a relaxing day around the town in the morning and maybe the beach in the afternoon.

Salerno - I’m thinking of hiring a car and driver for the day and going to Positano and Sorrento and a drive round with a nice lunch.

If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Hi m_duck. Wow you're well travelled in European ports! I can't help you buy I'm hoping you or others might help me a bit :)

We're taking our 3 year old on a western med cruise in oct on navigator. Ports are; Messina, kusadasi, Crete and Athens. None jump out as particularly child friendly and I'm getting nervous. All those ruins and mountains :-) haha

So if anyone has experience of a toddler at these ports I'd be really interested in hearing about it. We're no too interested in ruins etc - most interested in doing family things really so all advice gladly accepted.

Thank! (Sorry for hijacking you're thread m_duck!!)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Barcelona - we have been before and I’ve been using http://www.kidsinbarcelona.com/ I was thinking of maybe using the hop on and off bus. Spending time in the parks and at the beach.

If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions it would be much appreciated.

My girls were a little older when we were in Barcelona, but Parc Guell is a great way to spend half a day exploring/playing with a toddler. I love doing hop on/hop offs, but if I were you, I'd take taxis instead - that way there is no waiting and you'll end up spending about the same if not less. Also, I don't think the HO/HO bus gets real close to Parc Guell, where a taxi can drop you off right at the gate. You can also easily take the metro to most of the sights.

There is also a nice little playground right across from Sagrada Familia, where there are also lots of little take-away restaurants and which is then a great place to then take the cab up to Parc Guell.

Best,

Mia

We're taking our 3 year old on a western med cruise in oct on navigator. Ports are; Messina, kusadasi, Crete and Athens. None jump out as particularly child friendly and I'm getting nervous. All those ruins and mountains :-) haha

So if anyone has experience of a toddler at these ports I'd be really interested in hearing about it. We're no too interested in ruins etc - most interested in doing family things really so all advice gladly accepted.

I know you say you're not interested in ruins, but Ephesus at Kusadasi is really not to be missed - the countryside is beautiful and my girls found it to be one big fun playground. Our private guide started at the top so we were walking down the entire time and it was one of our favorite places ever.

In Athens they loved climbing up the Acropolis and then we strolled the old marketplace area and had ice cream.

Best,

Mia

Sounds like a fun trip!

We cruised a few years back to a lot of the same places, but that was before we had a child so I can't really help you there. Kotor was one of our favorite ports ever.

Oh, probably a smart idea to skip Rome, not a lot for a little one to do.

You've probably already thought of this, but do you bring a stroller or carrier? Many European roads and walkways are stone or other materials that can make strollers difficult.

Archived