Just Off Brilliance Iceland/Norway -- Questions Welcome

ggo85

Just off Brilliance based out of Harwich with port calls in Norway, Shetlands, Faroes and Reykjavik. Had access to CL and D lounges. Had fixed seating MDR and went to all specialty restaurants. Did a private tour, a ship's tour, and our own thing, depending on the port.

Happy to do my best to answer questions folks may have.

Just off Brilliance based out of Harwich with port calls in Norway, Shetlands, Faroes and Reykjavik. Had access to CL and D lounges. Had fixed seating MDR and went to all specialty restaurants. Did a private tour, a ship's tour, and our own thing, depending on the port.

Happy to do my best to answer questions folks may have.

Perhaps this is a stupid question. Was this a transatlantic? Where did you disembark? How many days?

I'm searching for a nice transatlantic for next year. Thanks.

Kathy

How was the food in the dining room and what was the best place to eat?

We had a limited experience with the MDR. Only stayed 2 nights. We asked for (and received) a table for two. The problem was that the table had a view of the kitchen with all the associated banging and clanging. And the service was awful -- the worst we'd had on an RCCL cruise. Examples: SLOW service (order not taken for 45 minutes), hot dishes served cold, wrong entrees served to both of us, wrong appetizer served to me.

That said, the food was quite good. Nice selection and choices. It was the first time that, when I ordered "medium rare" in the MDR, I got it. In the past, I was often told, "well, we'll try." Portions were plenty large.

We really enjoyed all of the specialty restaurants and ate there the remaining 9 nights. Food was terrific and service even more so (waiters remembered our preferences after first visit; made excellent recommendations; service was very prompt and personal). No favorite of the 3 b/c all were great. Rick's Cantina -- not a personal favorite. Service was good but the food was a bit Taco Bell in quality. Unless you're craving Mexican, skip it.

Perhaps this is a stupid question. Was this a transatlantic? Where did you disembark? How many days?

Not transatlantic. Went from Harwich to Norway (Bergen and Gereinger), to Shetlands (Keswick), to Faroes, to Iceland and back. 11 nights. 4 total days at sea. One day in each port other than Reykjavik (1.5 days).

What was the sea like in that area? I'd love to do a Scandinavian cruise but suffer with seasickness and wondered what conditions were like.

This is actually a good question. For the most part, the seas were relatively calm, especially for the North Atlantic. IMO, no different than any "open ocean" cruise we've taken, including British Isles, Med, and even Caribbean. Maybe a BIT rougher than the Caribbean in good weather. About 1/3 of the time, you could feel some swells but nothing major.

One night, things were a bit rough in that we were rolling side to side. A few things on the shelves were sliding off and the drawers/closets wouldn't stay shut. We put everything breakable away and pushed stuff up against the closets to keep them closed. We don't get seasick so that wasn't an issue. After about 4 hours, things were more or less back to "normal."

Obviously, weather is unpredictable. If you're prone to seasickness, I would get a "bandaid" patch or other medication; some is also offered on board. I would also shoot for mid-summer when your chances of good weather/seas improve.

Bottom line: other than the one night, all was fine. Overall, the captain was very good about discussing sea state each day and I didn't hear complaints about folks finding it to be an issue.

We'll be boarding Brilliance in less than 60 days for a New England/Canada cruise. What are the most noticable improvements from the "revitalization"? Anything not to miss? This will be our first cruise on RCI. Thanks!!

Frederick

Well, I didn't sail Brilliance prior to the revitalization but can describe what I perceived to be "improvements."

Based on where the CL used to be and where it is now, it's now much larger. It also includes an outside balcony with quite a few tables -- very nice if weather is good. The D lounge is about the same size but tends to "spill out" into Starquest (formerly Viking Crown Lounge) so seating isn't an issue. The trip to the 13th floor is, IMHO, worth it for the extra room in both spots. MUCH better than the cramped, interior room we had on Freedom last year.

There is a huge TV screen on the pool deck. Makes it nice to watch movies outdoors if the weather is good. All rooms have flat screen TVs. Decor in our room seemed dark but probably chosen b/c it doesn't show dirt.:rolleyes:

There are now 3 specialty restaurants (Giovanni's, Chop's, Izumi) + Rick's Cantina and Park Cafe. That gives you an abundance of choices. None of the restaurants was ever crowded on our cruise although, on some nights, they were doing a brisk business.

The Centrum shows will start August 19. They were rehearsing during our cruise. There is a rock climbing wall. Not sure if fitness center was enlarged but it seemed very large. Windjammer seemed more "open" than on other recent cruises (Freedom, Rhapsody) but could be quite crowded at certain times in terms of seating. Never any lines for food.

Overall, the ship is in good condition. If you're looking for an Oasis/Allure experience, you won't find it here. It's a smaller ship (a good thing, in our opinion) but one that now has a lot more options for dining as well as space for the CL and DL.

Not to be missed? I would try at least one of the specialty restaurants if your budget permits. Don't be "afraid" to try some of the smaller venue entertainers. Many of them are terrific and can be a nice alternative to the main entertainment each evening.

Bergen -- (full day) We had been there before. Walked to the funicular and took it up. Great view/photo ops. Cost is minimal (~$5 each way). Walked down then walked around town. Decent shopping. Prices for sweaters is very high (~$400 apiece for the real deal).

Geiranger -- (full day) We had also been there before. There is NOT much to do on your own -- i.e., without some sort of organized tour. If you have not been there before, recommend doing either a ship's tour or organizing your own. You CAN book last minute tours on the pier; there is a place to do so right as you disembark the ship. There are a couple of souvenir shops right off the dock. We were able to dock at the new dock, vs tendering, which was great.

Keswick (Shetland Islands) -- (~5 hours) This port was somewhat of a disaster in terms of logistics. It's a tender port. For reasons that are somewhat unclear, it took FOREVER to get people off the ship. We were only there from 11:15 - 4:30 and most people didn't get off the ship until after 2. RUN, do not walk to get an early tender ticket; you'll thank me later. It's a nice little town that you can easily walk around in. There is a museum that I wish I'd had time to see which is a short walk from the pier. Lots of little shops that are NOT touristy. Pretty scenery. Don't know how hard it is to book a private tour but I would be wary because of the challenges of tendering and the short timeframe in port.

Faroes (forget name of port) -- (full day) Did a ship's tour to the Vestmanna Cliffs. It's a 90 minute bus ride each way. Then a 2-hr boat tour. At first, we weren't impressed. Then we went into/inside the cliffs. VERY impressive. I felt it was worth doing and the cost ($109 pp) was reasonable for the 5.5 hours. I think this would be a bit tough to do on your own but, who knows? There is NOTHING near the ship. There is a shuttle from the ship to the town about 1 Km away (but not walkable due to no room on the road) but there is very little in and around the town to do on your own other than a bit of shopping. IMO, this is a good port for a ship's tour.

Reykjavik -- You're here for 1.5 days. LOTS to see and do. This is a great port for doing tours on your own and I highly recommend it. PM me if you want details on the company we used. We had some special requests (I had formerly lived in Iceland) and so did a private tour (just us and the guide) for 10 hours. Truly exceptional!! Places to see are Gulfoss (waterfall), geyser, and Blue Lagoon. The "golden circle" is a full day tour but many impressive sights. Blue Lagoon is a milky bath that's essentially drainoff from a geothermal plant. It's WONDERFUL. You can spend an hour or a day!Most people do Golden Circle on day 1 and Blue Lagoon on Day 2. You can rent a car and many did -- but if you let someone else drive, you can enjoy the scenery. And there are some places you'll miss unless you know where they are.

The ship docks a good 45-minute walk from the town and there is nothing other than a small gift shop on the pier within easy walking distance It's an easy, flat walk along the water but it's a good hike. There is a shuttle to town -- takes about 10 minutes and costs $12 each way. Runs every 15 minutes. There's not much to see in town. There are a number of good shops selling mostly Icelandic sweaters and related souvenirs. You can do a lot of damage in terms of shopping in less than .5 miles and less than 2 hours. This is an option for day 2.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your information on the ports. My DH and I are considering this cruise for next July. And looks like they only do this itinerary once a year??? What about the weather? Jeans and windbreakers? Or something more? Or less? Was it generally sunny and cool or rainy and windy? Cold on sea days? We did the Baltic cruise in June several years ago and the bartender at the pool was the loneliest guy on the ship. I may think of other questions later. :)

Already thought of additional questions. Did you fly into Heathrow and if so, how did you get to and from Harwich? And how long did it take and if you don't mind my asking, how much were the transfers?:confused:

We would be cruising with our 17 yr old son. Could you speak to teens on board/ activities? I know each sailing is different as far as number on board. Based on the ports, would this be a good cruise for us? Sailed the Jewel Baltic in 2011, loved it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We were booked on this cruise but cancelled due to a surgery that was delayed. I did not want to be only a few weeks post surgery going on a port intensive cruise.

We are hoping to book for next summer but do far I don't see the Brilliance doing thus run. We like the Brilliance and would prefer this ship over a smaller one.

Thanks for the review.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

First, sorry for the multiple posts in a row but can only remember so many questions at once. :)

In terms of weather -- we were VERY lucky in that we had no rain and most days had sun. England was unseasonably warm (85F). Bergen and Gerainger were both warm (high 60s/low 70s). A LIGHT sweater/jacket were more than adequate and some wore short-sleeves and shorts.:eek:

The Shetlands and Faroes are really never "warm" as we consider it. Temps were pleasantly cool to US passengers -- mid 50s to low 60s. Most were comfortable in a medium weight sweater and/or jacket. Dressing in layers is a MUST because a lot depends on whether it's sunny. If it is -- and it's not too windy -- you'll find yourself "hot." If it turns cloudy and windy, that same day could have you scrambling for your jacket.

Iceland is WINDY. If you're from the US, I can guarantee you are not used to a constant 20 knots (25 MPH) of wind. So, a 68 degree, sunny day can quickly become somewhat less pleasant when the wind is very strong. Also, if you take a lengthy tour, the weather will change. We went from 65 and WINDY to 55 and cloudy and windy to high 60s and sunny and no wind, all within 9 hours.

As for sitting on deck, not so much in terms of soaking up the sun. Some did it the first and last days at sea -- temps in the 70s and no wind. The middle days, it's really not warm enough to sit outside other than in a jacket and pants. It can also be windy on deck -- really depends on the direction from which the wind is coming in relation to the ship. We were quite lucky in that regard.

I would bring mostly the following for ports: long pants/jeans, long-sleeved shirts, light sweaters or hoodies, 1 fleece or other heavy sweater, windbreaker/medium weight jacket. Go easy on the shorts/T-shirts other than for working out. My view is that hats and gloves are overkill unless you are VERY cold sensitive -- it's really not that cold. Hats that fit snugly can be helpful in Iceland to keep your hair from blowing but you don't need one to keep warm. Sturdy, comfortable walking shoes are a must.

To the person who asked about next year, I believe Brilliance is doing this itinerary once next year about the same time.

To the person with the 17-year-old, I don't have kids so can provide limited guidance. There were quite a few children/young adults of all ages on this cruise -- and I must say that behavior was quite good. In terms of activities, there is a rock climbing wall, two pools, a video game room, golf, deck games (ping pong, shuffleboard, volleyball), etc. Most of the ports offer some sort of "active" activities, such as hiking, boating, etc.

My personal view is that a lot depends on your child. On the sea days, the weather will usually not be good enough to lounge at the pool (see post above). So he needs to be able to keep himself entertained with books and videos and board games and the activities mentioned above. The general ship activities (trivia, bingo, art auctions) didn't to me appear very interesting to young people. There are quite a few fitness activities every day and a nice fitness center. I think "Adventure Ocean" runs through age 17 but really can't comment on the program -- we traveled with a 17-yr-old on Freedom last year and she didn't join the formal program and still had a blast.

Although we loved them, the ports aren't as "exciting" as, say, St. Petersburg or Berlin or Stockholm in terms of number of things to see and do. However, the young folks I saw around the ship seemed to be quite happy. If your child needs constant external stimulation, he may find the cruise a bit dull. However, if he enjoys relaxing and being with family, enjoys interesting and different ports, and can make do with the many activities that are offered, it will be a great cruise. We thought it was a terrific cruise with a chance to go places most people never have and never will.

Not transatlantic. Went from Harwich to Norway (Bergen and Gereinger), to Shetlands (Keswick), to Faroes, to Iceland and back. 11 nights. 4 total days at sea. One day in each port other than Reykjavik (1.5 days).

How interesting! I've never seen that itinerary before. That would really interest me. Thanks for posting. I'll enjoy reading your responses.

Kathy

Harwich Transfers . . .

We came in the day before and left the day the ship docked. There are several options -- ship's transfer, train transfer, private car/taxi transfer. When reading the below, you must consider how much baggage you are bringing, your level of "fitness" and your willingness to cart your bags around. What is cheapest and very easy to one person may be daunting to another.

I can't comment on ship's transfers other than to say that, if you're flying in the day of the cruise, they are clearly the easiest way to go, if not the cheapest. You are picked up at the airport and taken to the ship. You don't have to cart anything anywhere. Ditto for your return. The return cost was $101 per person; not sure if it was the same outbound.

Private car is the quickest but most expensive way to go. We decided to use one on our return b/c we had a 12 noon flight and the other options (train, bus) wouldn't ensure we got there on time -- or within our comfort zone. Our service was very $$ ($550 for car) but it arrived on time, took a great route that got us to the airport in the middle of rush hour in plenty of time. Our peace of mind was worth it.

The cheapest -- and very easy -- way to go is the train from Liverpool Station to Harwich International Terminal. You need to get yourself to Liverpool Street. You can do that from the airport via the direct train from Heathrow to (I think) Victoria Station and then switch to the line that will take you to Liverpool. If you're staying in the city, take a taxi (easier with luggage) or take the subway from wherever you are to Liverpool street.

There are two trains -- the "cruise train" and the "regular" train. The cruise train runs once a day when there is a ship in Harwich. In our case, it left at 12:20 and arrived at the pier at 1:40. The advantage is there is no change required -- the train is non-stop. Cost was 30 pounds pp for coach. The regular train leaves hourly and requires a changeover at Manningham. You get off the train and cross under the tracks and then pick up the other train. First leg is an hour; second leg is 15 minutes. Cost is 8 pounds pp if you book early; we booked less than a week before and paid 13 pounds pp. Train drops you off directly next to the ship -- it's less than a 2-minute walk over flat ground to the ship.

There are return regular and cruise trains as well -- same cost, same itinerary. However, you will have to get from Liverpool to Heathrow so, if you have a flight that leaves before mid-afternoon, be sure you are comfortable that you can make all of the connections in time.

The train is VERY easy and cheap. However, you do have to "hump" your bags on and off, up and down stairs (f doing the regular train), through train and subway terminals, etc. We travel light and are very mobile so it was doable. If you have several bags apiece plus a couple of small kids and a stroller or have mobility issues -- it could be a nightmare and you're better off with the ship's bus or a private car. Just being honest.

For returns, taxis were readily available at the pier when we got off (6:15). Cost wasn't too bad -- don't recall exactly but think it was 150 - 200 pounds to Heathrow.

Do NOT cut it too close if you decide on the train. Trains can be delayed or canceled. On our outbound, the 10 am train was canceled and the 11 am train (ours) slightly delayed. We still had PLENTY of time. But I wouldn't want to take the 2:00 train when you have to be aboard by 3:30.:eek:

Hope this helped.

We would be cruising with our 17 yr old son. Could you speak to teens on board/ activities? I know each sailing is different as far as number on board. Based on the ports, would this be a good cruise for us? Sailed the Jewel Baltic in 2011, loved it.

I hope the original poster doesn't mind if I pipe in here. I also just returned from this cruise, and I do have experience with the kids clubs as I have a 7 year old. In addition to other younger kids clubs, there is also a teen club for 13+. Our dining companions had a 14 year old son who disappeared to the teens club after the first few days. He had an incredible time and made great friends. There is a room for the teens on Deck 12 where they can listen to music, watch TV, play video games, etc. Really it is just a big hang out spot and very popular with the teens. Later in the evening they get the leftover food from the Windjammer brought up, which is a big hit. There is a 1 am curfew for kids under 18 so they aren't up causing trouble all night long :eek: .

By the end of the week I noticed the group of about 10-15 travelling together around the ship, so I think they get to know each other very well. Our dining companions son is an only child, so he appreciated the social opportunity to make friends.

If you have any more questions regarding the kids clubs I'd be happy to help!

This thread is so helpful! Thank you for being willing to answer questions.

We are on the Brilliance transatlantic this September. We are taking our family with kids 13, 12, 5. I was wondering if the outdoor pool is heated? I am taking it from you comments that it is not, but wanted to be sure.

If the weather is bad, does the ship sometimes allow children under 16 into the Solarium?

Our kids are very able to entertain themselves without a pool, but I know getting some exercise helps on long sea days, and they are too young for the fitness center.

Thank you again!

I didn't venture into the pools so can't say for sure. I did see young kids in the outdoor pool on the first and last days but not in between. That said, the outside sea temperature is probably no more than 40 degrees F so I'm guessing the pool was somewhat heated/hotter than that or no one would be in it at any time.:)

I didn't see kids in the Solairum pool but also only looked at it once or twice. I kept meaning to go.:rolleyes: I have some sense it is heated but am not sure.

There are all sorts of non-pool activities. Several younger kids walked the jogging track with their parents. There is the rock-climbing wall. There is shuffleboard. I saw kids playing volleyball and basketball. And my guess is the kids' activities include physical stuff.

This thread is so helpful! Thank you for being willing to answer questions.

We are on the Brilliance transatlantic this September. We are taking our family with kids 13, 12, 5. I was wondering if the outdoor pool is heated? I am taking it from you comments that it is not, but wanted to be sure.

If the weather is bad, does the ship sometimes allow children under 16 into the Solarium?

Our kids are very able to entertain themselves without a pool, but I know getting some exercise helps on long sea days, and they are too young for the fitness center.

Thank you again!

The Cruise Director Steve teaches the Micheal Jackson Thriller Dance and then the guest performs in front of an audience one of the last day of the cruise. If your children love to dance they really should participate. My whole family did this on our Cruise last year and we all had a blast!

Archived