Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

No pleasure really.....

If I have followed correctly, and presuming the facts are correct as claimed, derbylane has bags of SS and general cruise experience to share .... and this thread is where she/he is welcome to share.

Having cruised with SS since 1997 with 467 days under the belt .... that sounds like 7 or 8% of every single year for 17 years spent on SS ships with experience on other lines as well. Only registered 6 or 7 weeks ago, but I hope thay they accept the olive branch and invitation to join in here and tell us about their knowledge and experiences. That is pretty unique stuff to share. If nicely.

You are sure to be right Jeff.

Sometimes some of us have our off days so let's hope this is just a wee blip on what is normally a very enjoyable thread to participate in.

Its been a busy busy day here, I've been running around since 9am and finally now home to chillax:rolleyes:

Your burgers look delish.....l took pater out for a quick pub lunch following his hospital appointment.....usual pub grub I'm afraid but at least l didn't have to cook!

S :)

EDITED: I am sorry. I am slow. Just got the joke! :D

Do keep up dear!!;):)

Anybody else in the UK just been watching "A Very British Airline" on BBC2.

Great to watch mixed fleet in training. Will Jody Paris get her fourth and final ....

:)

I recorded it

Just about to put it on.

Broadmoor doc is interesting on ch 5

I recorded it

Just about to put it on.

Broadmoor doc is interesting on ch 5

I'll watch it. Thanks.

1A and 1K on the 380 is definitely almost out by the stairs ... glad we have 2K and 3K on all forward bookings.

BA will do well out of this although the F sale finishes tomorrow so won't help that.

Great to watch mixed fleet in training. Will Jody Paris get her fourth and final ....

Interesting programme, need to get my seats sorted for October although I'm not on the 380 :(

I think Jody will make it, pity about the other guy, l thought he was very good.

What a shame Jeff, I was only thinking/hoping when I read your post (#914) that that was the case but things seem to have gone a bit downhill.

For what it's worth, and I've said this before, I for one, love reading the comments made by yourself, Mr L, Sophia and the other contributors to this thread.

I visit each day and enjoy reading about everyone's exploits and never find anything offensive.

Best wishes,

Karin

I thought Jody was more Easy jet than BA.

Can you imagine her serving the LPGS in First :eek:

Interesting programme, need to get my seats sorted for October although I'm not on the 380 :(

I think Jody will make it, pity about the other guy, l thought he was very good.

Sophie,

There was a programe on the TV recently about a group of youngsters offered trialled jobs on the South coast and the best were offered jobs. Don't know whether you saw it. The BA guy fired reminded me of the guy in the joke shop?

We have all seen a few Jody's ... but I see them only on mixed fleet from Gatwick.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

What a shame Jeff, I was only thinking/hoping when I read your post (#914) that that was the case but things seem to have gone a bit downhill.

For what it's worth, and I've said this before, I for one, love reading the comments made by yourself, Mr L, Sophia and the other contributors to this thread.

I visit each day and enjoy reading about everyone's exploits and never find anything offensive.

Best wishes,

Karin

Karin,

How kind .... and lovely to see you post. I owndered what happened and thought perhaps you lost interest ... so don't abandon us. We're hanging on in there .....

When you get a post that insists on being nasty the temptation to respond is overwhelming but 'er indoors gives clear instructions to ignore and I try to do what I am told. Onwards and upwards.

Hopefully when the BA F sale ends tommorow I'm hoping to find some F redemption seats for us that get's us to Singapore for a hop over to Ozland after the Singapore F1 in September. I think we'll take a month in total away if things look "on". So I'll be looking to you for some pointers!

Don't abandon us Karin!

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

It occured to me when watching the TV last night.

The programme featured British Airways Cranebank quite heavilly which is the main training center for BA staff. I suspect pilot training will be in future episodes.

What is little known - largely because they don't publicise it - is that you can book time on a real BA flight simulator with a BA training pilot in between real pilot training sessions.

This is an experience of a lifetime.

Might be something to do if people have a long layover period between an inbound or outbound flight at LHR. Non UK/EU citizesn seem to be acceptable as long as you meet ID compliance.

The best real flying experience is the 737 because it is "real flying" ie not fly by wire and you are mechanically controlling the plane. Also BA are slowly withdrawing the 747 and so this might be the last year or so when you can fly one.

http://www.ebaft.com/fly/fse.htm

You might notice the pilot on their web site was the one training us on the 737 and she was on pregnancy leave ... so she was at Cranebank. One hour is adequate, but I suggest a two hour booking for two people if the funds allow .... although a three hour is obviously better. :) Females, should not be put off as a bloke thing - my wife was far better at this than me and she thoroughly enjoyed it :)

They have a "real time" two-month'ish forward diary on the site if you are trying to fit this in to an imminent layover schedule. Just click the "book a date" button.

Hope this is of interest to others.

Some of our piccies ....

532679D0-3324-47C8-8490-006E23BDEB46_zpsqijfrdxy.jpg

414C0E63-1DBB-410D-B3BF-F5841298B7E9_zpsg5plcauo.jpg

D5885A66-1195-4DF2-865A-06CB353F3F46_zpse8fx309y.jpg

C60FF654-3449-4C4C-A516-74E91583C4F8_zpswonephbl.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
schpellingness..

I thought Jody was more Easy jet than BA.

Can you imagine her serving the LPGS in First :eek:

She was. She has to be out next week surely? If she isn't it hurts BA a bit unless she is SH ex-Gatwick, but if I recall she actually mentioned her initial schedule, and whilst I can't recall the specifics, I do recall they included LH destinations. She will be a disaster in premium cabins LH.

This has always been the problem with mixed fleet sadly. They seem to put anyone in F on MF whereas LH was properly trained and experienced and career development. Although clearly we had the issue with LH that some of the old lags had a terrible attitude and clearly didn't want to be there, they were luckily few but can have a disproportionate effect on the ambience of a flight and mF always seem to have youthful enthusiasm on their side.

We still absolutely believe you can tell exactly how the flight will be by observing the crew in the gate lounge before they embark.

;)

ps. What has happened to women's eyebrows?

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Would never abandon you Jeff or the 'cooler'! I catch up daily. Can't comment on the tv programmes though ;)

How great would it be to show you round Melbourne if you made it here. I think you like motor racing (but not sure how much) - Bathurst is on in October as is the Gold Coast V8 race. Just a thought.

I love the banter between you and Mr L! Thanks.

Karin

Sophie,

There was a programe on the TV recently about a group of youngsters offered trialled jobs on the South coast and the best were offered jobs. Don't know whether you saw it. The BA guy fired reminded me of the guy in the joke shop?

We have all seen a few Jody's ... but I see them only on mixed fleet from Gatwick.

Can't recall seeing that Jeff, l may have been away. Jody was quite entertaining and determined so l do hope she makes it, I'd hate to be in the job market these days, l was never out of work and was lucky enough to be in a position to retire at the age of 45 although l still have business interests.

It's been a very exciting morning here in Yorkieland.....had to call my pest control man in to remove a Bumble Bees nest in one of my hay baskets...hate doing it but the little buggers were starting to become very aggressive :eek:

Scampi, salad and home made chips here today for luncheon.....not very exciting but it'll do!

Best wishes,

Karin

Hi Karin,

I second Jeff's post to you, do please join in and enjoy the twaddle!;)

I see that we were ships that passed in the night....l disembarked Silver Wind on April 14th just as you were embarking. I would have stayed on for that next sector but SS wanted almost twice the fare that l had paid for the voyage l was on so l sadly declined and came home!

Sophia :)

Can't recall seeing that Jeff, l may have been away. Jody was quite entertaining and determined so l do hope she makes it, I'd hate to be in the job market these days, l was never out of work and was lucky enough to be in a position to retire at the age of 45 although l still have business interests.

It's been a very exciting morning here in Yorkieland.....had to call my pest control man in to remove a Bumble Bees nest in one of my hay baskets...hate doing it but the little buggers were starting to become very aggressive :eek:

Scampi, salad and home made chips here today for luncheon.....not very exciting but it'll do!

This is eery ... we have bumble bees as well ... right above our bedroom window in the eves.

We decided to simply let them live there for the season and are putting bigger net curtains up. Evidently bumble bees don't return subsequenetly except by coincidence. Honey bees do.

:(

Would never abandon you Jeff or the 'cooler'! I catch up daily. Can't comment on the tv programmes though ;)

How great would it be to show you round Melbourne if you made it here. I think you like motor racing (but not sure how much) - Bathurst is on in October as is the Gold Coast V8 race. Just a thought.

I love the banter between you and Mr L! Thanks.

Karin

Karin,

As you know Melbourne is far too cultured for the likes of me. Wouldn't get past passport control ... although I like what I hear about Melbourne food. Actually it makes sense .... BA through to Sydney and then .... :)

We were getting a bit fed up with Sydney. Love the ferries. Love the harbour. Love Australians with humour ....

Melbourne it is. Put the kettle on!!

Just had the Devon transit car back from it's service. Where do they get these prices from?! I was told by the lady that if I bought the service forward by a month I could delay some of the items until the next service and still preserve Mobilo! I need to keep it because once a year they give me a brand new S class for two weeks when the car breaks down at Stonehenge. It seems to want to linger at Stonehenge.

I have worked out that our trips up and down from Devon have cost us £850 every time return just on depreciation ie excluding any actual car costs.

She tells me that the the next service is going to be around £4k because it needs new spark plugs etc ...... :o

Wifey loves that car ... but perhaps I should have said no ....

This is eery ... we have bumble bees as well ... right above our bedroom window in the eves.

We decided to simply let them live there for the season and are putting bigger net curtains up. Evidently bumble bees don't return subsequenetly except by coincidence. Honey bees do.

:(

My cleaner told me this morning that she's got bees nesting in her front hedge....it must be a bee year!

Mine were right under my big kitchen window so a bit too close for comfort, had they been further up the land I would have left them as l detest having to disturb nature.

We once had Hornets nesting under the eves and they were nasty...hubby got stung in bed one morning and ended up in A & E.

Pest man told me that the damn moles are back in the paddocks again (have them every year!) so he'll have to come back next week to sort them out before they start breeding.

Love the simulator pics....what great fun, I'd love to have a bash at that. I remember the days when one could visit the flight deck en route...Concorde being the icing on that cake!

S:)

What kind of auto are you talking about? I love cars and would have a new one rather than a tune up--spouse disagrees!

WE live in Montana and have a raging set of wasp nests. Is it a world wide outbreak of bees?

Josephone,

I do so hope you are a new joiner to us reprobates on the edge of cultured society, who currently live by the WC! ( Water Cooler :D )

it's a Merc SL. it is wonderful when it goes and purely decorative when it doesn't. It was a pure self-indulgence during a time when invoices were issued and promptly paid.

I have an over-romantic notion about Montana. It involves, bracing fresh air and snow. I am envious,

What is it like?

My cleaner told me this morning that she's got bees nesting in her front hedge....it must be a bee year!

Mine were right under my big kitchen window so a bit too close for comfort, had they been further up the land I would have left them as l detest having to disturb nature.

We once had Hornets nesting under the eves and they were nasty...hubby got stung in bed one morning and ended up in A & E.

Pest man told me that the damn moles are back in the paddocks again (have them every year!) so he'll have to come back next week to sort them out before they start breeding.

Love the simulator pics....what great fun, I'd love to have a bash at that. I remember the days when one could visit the flight deck en route...Concorde being the icing on that cake!

S:)

When you say "cleaner" you mean someone you didn't marry? :confused:

I wish I could find a choice of words to convince you to take some time on the BA simulator. It is ( a bit like a merc sl ... :D ) a totally underpriced experience.

DO IT!

When you say "cleaner" you mean someone you didn't marry? :confused:

I wish I could find a choice of words to convince you to take some time on the BA simulator. It is ( a bit like a merc sl ... :D ) a totally underpriced experience.

DO IT!

Hubby was master of the Hoover et al.....l gave up such menial chores when my nails started to suffer....sod that for a game of soldiers! So l looked for a domestic goddess and found a treasure :D

Simulator is now on my bucket list.....but l like the idea as a Xmas Box for my daughter and son in law...his folks live down south so it would be a fun gift for them.......last year l gave them a Dorchester weekend :rolleyes:

Love the S class....best car we had, my chariot now is a tad too big so I'll be looking to trade her in when l eventually sell up here.