Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

That's great information. We are staying at the Corinthia Hotel near Trafalgar Square. They have been helpful in other emails so I might see what they suggest. It sounds like you cook it the same as Asparagus tips.

Otherwise we are planning to book Clos Maggiore and two nights we have left in Mr L's capable hands. Of course we need to find a "pub meal" at some point. I don't know how likely that is in Central London......but I am researching.

Tonight's meal is a combined effort with Keith cooking the Chili Jam Chicken with Cashew stir fry and I will do the sides of rice and steamed green beans. Keith loves peas but they don't work with the dish :).

This will be served with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. I know, I know, it is new world wine - not old world :o. But we like it.

Julie

Show-off! Thought you had a PPL!

So are you - like me - hoping that Juncker gets appointed so we can be out of the EU? :D

I'm looking for some odds that we lose two party leaders during the next year and gain a female PM within 5 years. An accumulator?

:)

There's a lot of talk about Juncker he's just a reincarnation of Hitler isn't he?

Did you see the Lib Dems lost their deposit last night?

Conservatives won with a smaller majority

That's great information. We are staying at the Corinthia Hotel near Trafalgar Square. They have been helpful in other emails so I might see what they suggest. It sounds like you cook it the same as Asparagus tips.

Otherwise we are planning to book Clos Maggiore and two nights we have left in Mr L's capable hands. Of course we need to find a "pub meal" at some point. I don't know how likely that is in Central London......but I am researching.

Tonight's meal is a combined effort with Keith cooking the Chili Jam Chicken with Cashew stir fry and I will do the sides of rice and steamed green beans. Keith loves peas but they don't work with the dish :).

This will be served with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. I know, I know, it is new world wine - not old world :o. But we like it.

Julie

Julie,we can take you to a pub when we go on our trip to Greenwich.

I have a couple in mind.

I will also give you some to try near your Hotel.

Gordon's wine bar is on your list I know

There's a lot of talk about Juncker he's just a reincarnation of Hitler isn't he?

Did you see the Lib Dems lost their deposit last night?

Conservatives won with a smaller majority

Evidently Juncker's "minders" have told Cameron's "minders" that if he is sensible Cameron shouldn't upset Juncker but "pick up the phone and call him". So Juncker sees himself "in his new role" as Cameron's boss. Après moi, le déluge ..... :D So the whole of the EU game is at a significant crossroads. Do they beef up the law makers and federalism or close it down and open an export department which is what you and I originally voted in favour of. Whatever they decide now will be looked back 50 years from now under chaos-theory as the butterfly that flapped it's wings .....;)

So will the next deputy-PM be Farage?:eek:

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
ipad spelling

Jeff,

Julie will be spending some time with my wife and I before she and her husband go on their Seabourn Legend trip from Stockholm to London.

I can get Samphire in Waitrose on the fish counter.

We also have Le Gavroche and Le Pont de la tour booked for two meals.

Samphiregeddon it could turn out to be.

But Lux .... once you have the samphire .... what will you do with it?:eek:

I'm not sure about Nigel,

I'll track him down as his local watering hole is a mile from my Kent residence.

He's a new pin and very much in fashion.

Lib demos and Clegg are finished and Clegg is trying to get a job in Brussels

Julie

Julie,

If you are happy to venture east ... then this might be of interest purely for the experience ...

http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/prospect-of-whitby-wapping/c8166/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_of_Whitby

Jeff

I'm not sure about Nigel,

I'll track him down as his local watering hole is a mile from my Kent residence.

He's a new pin and very much in fashion.

Lib demos and Clegg are finished and Clegg is trying to get a job in Brussels

Nigel will have no idea today how this will pan out for him. He'll say stuff that is palatable today and it will all change tomorow.

Clegg has been an absolute idiot. I love the repeated "What we did was brave ...." He has used that as in "Yes, I reluctantly accepted the trappings of power, a big car with chauffuer, power privellage and access and memories I'll have for the rest of my life plus a big free Country Pile, loads of fun, food and frolics as a sacrifice to my country ...."

....... and when there were calls for him to ++++++ off last week "It would be very easy for us to have a change of leadership at this time but the right and brave thing is for me to stay and see out all those things we need to do".

Such a brave and misunderstood man .... and had dumped his parties future to grab for himself a few moments of selfishness and self-gratifacation :D

Julie

It is lovely to see Keith use stir-fry.

What have the Oz's done with the ill-conceived and totally overwhelming chardonnay lake? :eek:

UK Samphire is salty and really is lovely raw. Much less cooking than asparagus tips. Waitrose samphire is currently Isreali. As a side dish I would cook these exactly like I cook asparagus and bak choi.

Make a cup of vegetable bouillon and reserve. Over heat a frying pan (that has a lid - preferably glass) and when really hot throw in some olive oil and the samphire (or apsaragus) on top for a few seconds until the outside has caramelised. Throw a nob of butter in and the buillon and slam the lid shut for a few seconds ... a bit longer for asparagus. Then serve. I put the remaining broth into esspresso cups as an amuse bouche or to pour over.

I hope you try this way for asparagus.:)

Good Afternoon:)

Interesting discussions going on today, pretty good result for Newark l thought....Clegg thankfully got the hammering he deserved. Mr F should make the most of his fifteen minutes of fame me thinks :rolleyes:

Watching the very emotional ceremonial D Day events here on the beeb...god bless them one and all, for many of the vets this will be their last stand.

Sophia :)

Good Afternoon:)

Interesting discussions going on today, pretty good result for Newark l thought....Clegg thankfully got the hammering he deserved. Mr F should make the most of his fifteen minutes of fame me thinks :rolleyes:

Watching the very emotional ceremonial D Day events here on the beeb...god bless them one and all, for many of the vets this will be their last stand.

Sophia :)

Indeed.

It is however a shame that the Russian sacrifice has been almost erased from proceedings. No one will ever know accurately how many.

eg.

Some 27 million Russians died during the Second World War, a Russian daily said on Thursday, citing estimates by a Russian interdepartmental commission.

http://en.ria.ru/russia/20100506/158896419.html

My goodness........step away for a short while and it is all go here!!:eek:

Interesting discussion about your politics. I think I might have to do some background reading and get up to date.....I didn't realise Clegg had moved on........too busy trying to keep up with the political issues here.

Mr L we must have been typing at the same time.......I didn't see your post when I sent mine in. We are looking forward to checking out those two restaurants. :)

The pub at Greenwich sounds like a good idea.........it will be a good contrast to Le Pont.

Jeff thanks for the suggestions both restaurant and cooking Samphire. I don't think a week will be enough with all we want to do. We hope to come back in a few years and stay for a few months as there is so much to experience over there!

Sophia I know what you mean about the emotion on D Day events, I just saw some of our old Diggers on the news and to see them pride and emotion came to the fore.

Julie

Julie,

If you are happy to venture east ... then this might be of interest purely for the experience ...

http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/prospect-of-whitby-wapping/c8166/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_of_Whitby

Jeff

The Prospect is on the list although it can be a bit touristy

the Gun coldharbour on the isle of dogs is also worth a visit

The Narrow in Narrow street limehouse is good and also the Grapes in the same street.

I used to live in Narrow street some fifteen years ago

Rubbish picture ... but it was lovely. Noily Prat reduced and some Paris button mushrooms added to the samphire and salmon.

(Don't get grumpy S! You is loved Gal! ;) )

D50EE62D-339C-413F-BDCA-2905364F7973_zpsbzzybrts.jpg

That looks very tasty,

Who's a noisy prat?

Edited by Mr Luxury

Rubbish picture ... but it was lovely. Noily Prat reduced and some Paris button mushrooms added to the samphire and salmon.

(Don't get grumpy S! You is loved Gal! ;) )

D50EE62D-339C-413F-BDCA-2905364F7973_zpsbzzybrts.jpg

That does look good.

I'm not sure I've ever had samphire.

I had a "St Michael" Luxury All Butter Croissant with Waitrose's fabulously intense lemon curd for breakfast.

Lunch was made by the head sommelier, he did a smoked mackerel pate with wholemeal toast and some sort of gooseberry conserve which was delicious. I've never found a wine that works with smoked mackerel so I stuck to water!

Supper will be chicken, cooked in a cream and dijon sauce, with potatoes parmentier, local asparagus and carrots.

The observant amongst you will have noticed that my planned diet isn't happening !

He was on the Seabourn board last night!:D There was some very uncouth behaviour over there.

The thing that turned me over the edge on our last SS was a bloke in a black shirt with a new 360 degree camera. Everywhere we went - at every time - he was doing a pirouette. In the restaurant and in the morning when we arrived - at the bar - and at everything ..... and would you believe they were even on the row in front of us on the BA flight .. with his wife complaining that she wasn't offered blankets on a 2 hour EU flight and demanding a complaints form.

I wished that he would pirouette himself through the deck ....

You wouldn't let things lie - would you R. Had to remind me.

Still. Brandy awaits. :)

That does look good.

I'm not sure I've ever had samphire.

I had a "St Michael" Luxury All Butter Croissant with Waitrose's fabulously intense lemon turd for breakfast.

Lunch was made by the head sommelier, he did a smoked mackerel pate with wholemeal toast and some sort of gooseberry conserve which was delicious. I've never found a wine that works with smoked mackerel so I stuck to water!

Supper will be chicken, cooked in a cream and dijon sauce, with potatoes parmentier, local asparagus and carrots.

The observant amongst you will have noticed that my planned diet isn't happening !

You can't beat a lemon turd for breakfast. :)

I have a pemranent tub of homemade mackerel pate in the fridge. So easy. So lovely.

What is missing in your diet is saying yes to carrots when they were not required. Unless you can't find him in the dark. In my case it is always where she left me.