Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

That does look good.

I'm not sure I've ever had samphire.

I had a "St Michael" Luxury All Butter Croissant with Waitrose's fabulously intense lemon curd for breakfast.

Lunch was made by the head sommelier, he did a smoked mackerel pate with wholemeal toast and some sort of gooseberry conserve which was delicious. I've never found a wine that works with smoked mackerel so I stuck to water!

Supper will be chicken, cooked in a cream and dijon sauce, with potatoes parmentier, local asparagus and carrots.

The observant amongst you will have noticed that my planned diet isn't happening !

The wine to pair with smoked mackerel pate is

Gavi Madonnina made from the Cortese grape

He was on the Seabourn board last night!:D There was some very uncouth behaviour over there.

Yes,very strange,he's been castrated by the mod.

He'd probably been inhaling too much smoke,imagine a non smoker liking the smell of second hand smoke,he must have been a wind up surely.

The wine to pair with smoked mackerel pate is

Gavi Madonnina made from the Cortese grape

Oh bugger. Back up the hill to pick some more bleedin' grapes. :(

Left hand side or right hand side as you go up?:o

Once I have them in the glass - how long do we wait until we can eat the mackerel?

:)

Oh bugger. Back up the hill to pick some more bleedin' grapes. :(

Left hand side or right hand side as you go up?:o

Once I have them in the glass - how long do we wait until we can eat the mackerel?

I tend to dress to the right

Mackerel should not be hung like those pheasants you poach down in Hampshire.

Are you watching the beeb D DAY

I tend to dress to the right

Mackerel should not be hung like those pheasants you poach down in Hampshire.

Are you watching the beeb D DAY

I am quite well hung either way thank you very much! :eek:

I don't know who has been casting nasturtiums but it is totally untrue. The surgeon did make a mistake but put it right second rime round. I do walk with a slightly left-hand gait but i am no Bill Clinton. I lean entirely to the right except on Tuesday afternoons.

I have been watching it, and to be completely honest, I have really mixed feelings. It has been hijacked by politicians and ne're do wells seeking picture opportunities. I do have a grudging respect for the local vicar, who needing a new set of bells realised he'd never raise the cash and so decided that they would be "to commemorate D day". Voila! Cash came in. This to me seems to have rather unfortunately caught the zeitgeist.

The date is terribly important. The honouring is terribly important. I have misgivings about how. :(

Hi S!

Hope I haven't been misunderstood! No one in the slightest offended I am sure.:)

You had me worried for a bit there Jeffers!....half expected you to come charging over Ilkley Moor Baht At with yer Shashka in yer and :eek:

Don't let me be misunderstood.....a hit for Eric and The Animals if my memory serves me right....;)

S...aka grumpy :D

You had me worried for a bit there Jeffers!....half expected you to come charging over Ilkley Moor Baht At with yer Shashka in yer and :eek:

Don't let me be misunderstood.....a hit for Eric and The Animals if my memory serves me right....;)

S...aka grumpy :D

And don't forget the discover of Jimi ... Chas Chandler .. who imported him back to the UK. I have a signed record ... signed "Jim".

I was half expecting our Brenda to do an Olymics and parachute in! No pluck that gal!

Australian anti-smoking laws backfire as sales rise

A decision to put graphic images of smoking-related illnesses on cigarette packets appears to have backfired, with a study suggesting that sales have increased for the first time in years.

The laws took effect in Australia 18 months ago, but in the past year 60 million more cigarettes have been sold, a 0.3 per cent increase.

The research by InfoView, the industry monitor, suggests that the price cut introduced by most manufacturers to counter the effects of the stark images had led to the rise in sales.

Up to last year there had been a 15.6 per cent decline in cigarette sales in Australia over four years.

The results, it said, undermined claims by Nicola Roxon, the former Labor government health minister, that Australia would have the world’s toughest anti-smoking regime.

Anti-smoking activists dismissed the study yesterday because it was funded by the tobacco industry.

Mike Daube, the president of the Australian Council on Smoking and Health, said: “I think what we are seeing is a good, old-fashioned tobacco industry beat-up.”

He added that the chief executive of Imperial Tobacco, one of Australia’s biggest cigarette makers, had reported last year that markets had shrunk by between 2 and 3 per cent since the law was introduced.

Did you know that most Lords rent the fancy dress just for the day,only a select few bother to have their own made.

In case you didn't see Danny's column ....

There’s more to the state opening than dressing up

Daniel Finkelstein

Fur ever

I won a raffle. And the prize wasn’t the usual one of a box of Cadbury’s Roses that I had donated in the first place. I won an ermine cloak. Admittedly, just to wear for the day, but it was a good deal better than nothing.

To attend the state opening, you have to hire your ermine, but the Lords does possess a few cloaks of its own. So you enter a draw. Because it is a posh draw it is called a ballot, but in the end it’s a raffle. And I won.

There is a hierarchy of ermine, by the way. Of course there is. As a baron I wear a cloak with two stripes on the front. If you are a viscount, you get three. Earls have stripes on the back of their cloaks too and bishops have hoods.

Supreme Court judges have different garments altogether. Each has a little Supreme Court logo on the back, although it would have been handy if they also had a number, and their surname, like football players.

More subtle, though, is the condition of the cloak. Very tatty is actually rather grand — it means that the ermine has been in the family for generations. And an extremely white collar means that you own your own and don’t have to sit clutching a cloakroom ticket, hoping to win one.

Yum!!!

We watched 'White House Down' last night!

Karin

Good morning/evening (delete as appropriate) Karin!

What a coincidence. Lovely film - but was it an action or comedy movie? :confused:

I was thinking of you yesterday whilst watching the qualifying in Canada, and wondered what you make of the new cars? I cannot get my mind around 1.6 litre cars! GO CARTS!

:D

Good morning/evening (delete as appropriate) Karin!

What a coincidence. Lovely film - but was it an action or comedy movie? :confused:

I was thinking of you yesterday whilst watching the qualifying in Canada, and wondered what you make of the new cars? I cannot get my mind around 1.6 litre cars! GO CARTS!

Lately, it's been mostly a tragic comedy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Good Day:)

I watched that BGT last night....l like a bit of variety! Ashamed to say l didn't rise until very late this morning....so the usual Sunday luncheon has been minimised.

Suppose we've all got to now endure the world cup fever....son in law will be a very happy bunny!! I'm thinking of joining a convent for the duration! :rolleyes:

Happy Sunday

S:)

Good Day:)

I watched that BGT last night....l like a bit of variety! Ashamed to say l didn't rise until very late this morning....so the usual Sunday luncheon has been minimised.

Suppose we've all got to now endure the world cup fever....son in law will be a very happy bunny!! I'm thinking of joining a convent for the duration! :rolleyes:

Happy Sunday

We are resorting to recording everything on Youview and having dumped the ludicrous amount we were paying Sky, now have some lovely NowtV boxes which will keep us going through the dark days ahead! This plus Sky film rentals on Sky Store. And that is also why I developed my popcorning skills. Pith helmet on, bring on the football; we will be elsewhere!

We are resorting to recording everything on Youview and having dumped the ludicrous amount we were paying Sky, now have some lovely NowtV boxes which will keep us going through the dark days ahead! This plus Sky film rentals on Sky Store. And that is also why I developed my popcorning skills. Pith helmet on, bring on the football; we will be elsewhere!

I dumped Sky years ago, although pater has it for the sport only....cricket and tennis mainly.

I have a good DVD collection so shall resort to that!

Your popcorn looks delish Jeff....I'm not a big fan unless it's laced with toffee or caramel....sod the calories!

I dumped Sky years ago, although pater has it for the sport only....cricket and tennis mainly.

I have a good DVD collection so shall resort to that!

Your popcorn looks delish Jeff....I'm not a big fan unless it's laced with toffee or caramel....sod the calories!

Thanks. The picture makes the popcorn look dark, because I was watching TV with the lights dimmed .... :D

It is very caramely but not too many calories. :) It also replaces nuts with drinks and other late night munchies so actually saves greater calories ..

Thanks. The picture makes the popcorn look dark, because I was watching TV with the lights dimmed .... :D

It is very caramely but not too many calories. :) It also replaces nuts with drinks and other late night munchies so actually saves greater calories ..

What about Watership down?

Glad an Aussie won the GP! And yes, the cars are like go carts - just don't quite sound the same.

Jeff, your popcorn sounds so yummy!

Final of 'Revenge' about to start here - just had my daily dose of Corrie - resisted temptation to get the choccy out.

Hope everyone is well. Sorry I have no interesting news, just saying hi.

Karin

Ah ..... Dirty Dancing ..... Jennifer Grey ......;)

Karin! :cool: You've lost the drift of this thread. What is "not interesting" IS interesting!

I have to say the last few days of British TV has started us musing.

It was before I was conceived but being reminded of what was D Day. And then the current series of Big Brother seemed such a contrast. It got us thinking about what would be if the current generation were transposed back to the demands of D Day and that era and how they would have reacted and performed. It started so many lunch discussions between my boss and me.

And there were peas today .....:)

All well here thank you Karin :)

Please don't tell me BB is back :eek: I hate that programmes with a passion and can never for the life of me wonder why the folk in there call themselves celebrities when they come out!

Even the celebrity version features has beens trying to resurrect their careers!

I often think how would our grandparents cope in today's world of fast living!

Today's generation have it all and in some cases it still isn't enough:rolleyes:

I really would hate to be a teenager today :eek:

Bing back the Woodentops l say....oh and l liked Emergency Ward 10 too!! The only way my parents got me into hospital for my tonsillectomy was by telling me Sister Carole Young would be looking after me!!!

S :)

S.

Whatever you do, DON'T WATCH IT!!!

What has happened to language?:confused: Every sentence has "like" every third word or so, and "OH MY GOD!!!" is shrieked and screamed every five seconds, and sometimes repeatedly to form the modern version of a conversation. :(

And they cannot speak coherently or clearly. Us lot did some languages at school but I wish they taught me lip-reading. And the squawking. And what has happened to girls eyebrows? Why do they take them off and then paint them back on again. :confused: Girls eyebrows are lovely. I miss them. A little pluck fine. But complete removal? They are starting to look like circus clowns. :mad:

And when did teenage girls start getting beer-guts?

I had a pickled herring and a matzo for supper and we're having some more popcorn tonight! :)