Carnival Credit Card

gsp158

Thanks for reminding us to use the RewardsBoost. I agree I am not one to flip cards either. I also don't see some of the great deals for cards that I see mentioned here. Maybe they are not recent??

I really couldn't even venture a guess as to the validity of other credit cards' deals mentioned. This is the only card I've used for many years and I have not even looked into any others. I'm satisfied with this one, so I haven't looked elsewhere.:o

We've long since closed all our other credit card accounts. We live debt free, so we don't need them. We only use this card rather than cash for everything in order to get the FunPoints.:)

DH has a Capital One Business credit card for his company that we occasionally get rewards from - merchandise that we select from an online catalogue. It's decent stuff, and I'm happy to have it for free, but I would never trade my FunPoints MC for it. But other than that, I have no experience with other cards' rewards programs.

Most of the cards I use give 40K to 60K sign-up bonus, especially if the offer was mailed to me. My DH and I get the card so double he offer This year 2013, we spent points/free tickets on vacation valuing about $8K. Over 5 years, we have done well with back to back trips to Hawaii, plus our hotel room in Rome:D

Southwest 2 free tickets each

Airtran - 2 free ticket or 1 business class

Haytt- 2 free nights at any Hyatt hotel

Starwood by American Express- Stays at Westin or Sheraton

Citi Premiere - 50K each sign-up pints

Chase Sapphire 50K each sign up points

American Express 30K

I purchase discount gift cards at 2 to 25 percent off at cardpool dot come . Satrbucks gift cards are 10% off, Walmart 2%, Ross 8% and others.

I have said it before,I'll say it again- the CCL card is lousy. While some will crow about the rewards, it takes too much spending to get them. Yeah, great, a cruise credit- how much did you have to spend to get it?

I use CC for max rewards. Try this:

Get a American Air card, then get the AA amex. Have your wife do the same. Use them for a few months then cancel if you want after spending the minimum needed for the reward, cancel if you want. You both will have over 130,000 miles to use, booked a year in advance, that is 6 r/t tickets, a value of around $3500. To get that much value out of CCL card would take $350,000.I have used other kinds of cards and flipped them, I enjoy flying with United for free, free bags and the free cocktails in the United lounge (get free passes for that too). My best score was with an amex card that I used to pay for a gallon of gas for the lawn mower. I redeemed the huge point bonus for $250 in gift cards for PF Changs and Red Lobster.Once the cards were in the mail, I canceled it. I had that card for maybe a week!

Early this month, I booked four r/t tickets for my family with Alaskan all free.

If you never fly, well, you can do similar with hotel cards.

The hit to my credit rating is really neglible, got my report last month and it is 827. I'll be signing up for some new cards this weekend, I really don't want to pay to fly to Europe in two years.

My best score was 4 free nights at the Grand Hyatt Regency in Kauai ( $2,400). Two free nights each after the first purchase, at the .99 cent store, and no annual fee for the first year.

I have a small business and I do mean small, but I was able to get the Chase Business Ink card offering 60K point, now 50K, with 5 points in some categories. Points used for travel is worth 20 percent more, so 60K points is $775 towards travel. I am almost there for my UK ticket next year:D Sitting on my counter is a target offer from American Express for 50k points. I might put a part of my son't college tuition if the fee to do so is small, but that's $500 or more toward travel.

I really couldn't even venture a guess as to the validity of other credit cards' deals mentioned. This is the only card I've used for many years and I have not even looked into any others. I'm satisfied with this one, so I haven't looked elsewhere.:o

We've long since closed all our other credit card accounts. We live debt free, so we don't need them. We only use this card rather than cash for everything in order to get the FunPoints.:)

DH has a Capital One Business credit card for his company that we occasionally get rewards from - merchandise that we select from an online catalogue. It's decent stuff, and I'm happy to have it for free, but I would never trade my FunPoints MC for it. But other than that, I have no experience with other cards' rewards programs.

We do the same thing and pay off our balance every month. But I do love "free" stuff especially when it is related to travel. :D

Regarding the cards. I just went to Citicard.com and they currently are offering 40,000 Hilton points. For american air they are giving 25-30k. Depending on card for AA card. Those offers are low and I would periodically check the website because last month they were offering 35-40k and some people received targeted promos for 50k..

Chase currently offer cards for Hyatt, ihg, Marriott, southwest, British air (aa partner) and united air. United is 30k, Marriott is 50k but as recently a last week they were offering 70k on Marriott.com.

As far as rewards boost it is nothing more than a cash back shopping portal that rebates in points not cash. You would be better off using your carnival card at a shopping portal and get cash back plus 1x carnival points. For instance the national cash back program through upromise pays 5% cashback for both jcp and homedepot. You would receive 5% of your purchase back in cash(on $103 it would have been 5.15) plus you could get 103 carnival points. Another site wa s offering six percent so it pays to check before using the portal.

I'm another one who uses this card for everything possible and pays it off in full every month. We've had it since 2005. It's the only credit card we use. And we have already taken 2 free cruises (got a statement credit for the full amount of the fare) and 1 free S&S balance (got a statement credit for the full balance spent onboard - and that was more $ than our fare for that cruise:cool:) with the FunPoints we have accrued.

Like PPs, I too know that there are "better" cards out there. And I am happy with this one. We've never spent a penny in interest or fees on this card and have taken free cruises. And we currently have 65,000 FunPoints, so we're getting close to another free cruise - it looks like it will be next year.:)

I have a question. How can you say it is a free cruise when it takes money to get the points. The point system is as follows 2points per dollar spent on the ship and one point per dollar on everything else. That does not seem free to me. Is that the way the point system works ?

I have a question. How can you say it is a free cruise when it takes money to get the points. The point system is as follows 2points per dollar spent on the ship and one point per dollar on everything else. That does not seem free to me. Is that the way the point system works ?

I'm having trouble understanding your question.:confused: The cruises were free because they were paid for with FunPoints accrued as I did my normal daily spending (gas, groceries, drycleaning, car repairs, clothing, cell phone bills, etc. etc.). I was going to spend that money on those purchases anyway, with or without a rewards credit card. So the points which translate to cruise payment were free. So the cruises were free. The FunPoints were redeemed to get a credit card statement credit each time - I got "paid back" for the money I spent on the cruise.

Yes, it's 2 points on the ship or Carnival purchases, 1 point on everything else, and then there's RewardsBoost with multipliers much higher than the Carnival product multiplier of x2.;)

It's free because I didn't spend any more money than I would have otherwise to get the points that paid for the cruise. The points are given to me by Barclays for using their credit card. So the cruises are free.

Have I explained it? I'm not being sarcastic. I seriously don't get how you don't get that they are free.:o

Regarding the cards. I just went to Citicard.com and they currently are offering 40,000 Hilton points. For american air they are giving 25-30k. Depending on card for AA card. Those offers are low and I would periodically check the website because last month they were offering 35-40k and some people received targeted promos for 50k..

Chase currently offer cards for Hyatt, ihg, Marriott, southwest, British air (aa partner) and united air. United is 30k, Marriott is 50k but as recently a last week they were offering 70k on Marriott.com.

As far as rewards boost it is nothing more than a cash back shopping portal that rebates in points not cash. You would be better off using your carnival card at a shopping portal and get cash back plus 1x carnival points. For instance the national cash back program through upromise pays 5% cashback for both jcp and homedepot. You would receive 5% of your purchase back in cash(on $103 it would have been 5.15) plus you could get 103 carnival points. Another site wa s offering six percent so it pays to check before using the portal.

Correct, RewardsBoost is just a shopping portal that gives points instead of cash back. I get it that cash back is considered better than cruise points by most. But for me (and others here have said the same on earlier threads on this subject), as silly as it may sound, I prefer the cruise points (FunPoints) to small amounts of cash back. If I get cash back, it will end up going into the household budget in one way or another. That $5.15 would end up being a gallon and 1/2 of gas, or a box of laundry detergent or a hamburger. Something boring, practical, and totally forgettable.

But with FunPoints, I pile up points that eventually lead to free cruises. Free cruises that have to be taken or the points will eventually expire. Free cruises that it is much easier to talk my workaholic DH into taking than the not-free variety of cruises.:cool:;):p

This card "forces" us to take more cruises. I know, I know, the FunPoints can be redeemed for all sorts of other rewards that don't involve DH having to leave work for a week or more. But we don't need to tell DH about that.;) Besides, we both really like cruises.:D

(JK about DH not knowing about the other rewards options. I'm not deceiving my husband into "forced cruises".:rolleyes:)

I seen the 70k on Marriott. You also get 1 free night upon approval (category 1-4) and 1 free night on you anniversary (category 1-5). The fee is $85 waived the first year.

I have considered this card but I already have a lot of Marriott points due to work travel. Hoping the Barclay Arrival card works well for us with 2 x the points on everything and 10% back when redeemed for travel.

I'm having trouble understanding your question.:confused: The cruises were free because they were paid for with FunPoints accrued as I did my normal daily spending (gas, groceries, drycleaning, car repairs, clothing, cell phone bills, etc. etc.). I was going to spend that money on those purchases anyway, with or without a rewards credit card. So the points which translate to cruise payment were free. So the cruises were free. The FunPoints were redeemed to get a credit card statement credit each time - I got "paid back" for the money I spent on the cruise.

Yes, it's 2 points on the ship or Carnival purchases, 1 point on everything else, and then there's RewardsBoost with multipliers much higher than the Carnival product multiplier of x2.;)

It's free because I didn't spend any more money than I would have otherwise to get the points that paid for the cruise. The points are given to me by Barclays for using their credit card. So the cruises are free.

Have I explained it? I'm not being sarcastic. I seriously don't get how you don't get that they are free.:o

Too good to be true even though it is. I had to explain it a few times to DH:D

My husband I got this credit card before he retired thinking we'd earn towards future cruises. He hadn't yet retired, traveled thirteen states, meals, hotels and everything went on the card. We tried several times to book a cruise - I could get a cruise cheaper through my Carnival Rep. We finally just gave up and believe me we had lots of points.

My husband I got this credit card before he retired thinking we'd earn towards future cruises. He hadn't yet retired, traveled thirteen states, meals, hotels and everything went on the card. We tried several times to book a cruise - I could get a cruise cheaper through my Carnival Rep. We finally just gave up and believe me we had lots of points.

Nothing "fun" about those that!

I don't understand.:confused: You can pay for a Carnival or Carnival-owned cruiseline cruise with FunPoints no matter how you booked it. So you can find the best price possible anywhere you like, book the cruise, then redeem FunPoints to pay for it. Are you thinking of the SeaMiles card? The Carnival MC used to be SeaMiles, before it switched over to FunPoints several years ago. IIRC, you had to book your reward cruises through a SeaMiles rep with that card.

It's too bad you gave up, because FunPoints are so easy to redeem, much better than SeaMiles.

I thought they did away with the expiration of points?? The hubby isn't home right now but I thought he contacted them about this... but maybe I am confusing this with something else.

Edit: went onto Barclay's website and see that they do expire after 5 years.

I thought they did away with the expiration of points?? The hubby isn't home right now but I thought he contacted them about this... but maybe I am confusing this with something else.

I don't know what they are saying over the phone currently (I called and asked about it years ago), but my post about the 5 years expiration is almost word-for-word from the card's website, today. So I would count on them expiring 5 years from issuance.

If you've been accruing FunPoints for close to five years without ever redeeming any, I'd redeem the oldest ones right away if I were you.

I don't know what they are saying over the phone currently (I called and asked about it years ago), but my post about the 5 years expiration is almost word-for-word from the card's website, today. So I would count on them expiring 5 years from issuance.

If you've been accruing FunPoints for close to five years without ever redeeming any, I'd redeem the oldest ones right away if I were you.

I just logged onto Barclay's site again. Just happened to see that we had some messages waiting to be read. I found the message my husband sent them just last month and I am pasting it below. We will be using our points well before the 5 year expiration so we have no worries but I find it interesting that what is on their website and their response does not match.

Dear Clark :

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Carnival World MasterCard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the FunPoints expiration on your account.

At this time, we have decided not to expire FunPoints on your account. Should your FunPoints become eligible to expire in the future, you will receive a notification from us at least 120 days prior to allow you to redeem your FunPoints. We hope you find this information helpful.

If you have any other questions and concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

I just logged onto Barclay's site again. Just happened to see that we had some messages waiting to be read. I found the message my husband sent them just last month and I am pasting it below. We will be using our points well before the 5 year expiration so we have no worries but I find it interesting that what is on their website and their response does not match.

Dear Clark :

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Carnival World MasterCard. We can certainly address your inquiry regarding the FunPoints expiration on your account.

At this time, we have decided not to expire FunPoints on your account. Should your FunPoints become eligible to expire in the future, you will receive a notification from us at least 120 days prior to allow you to redeem your FunPoints. We hope you find this information helpful.

If you have any other questions and concerns, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Huh, that is strange. But like so many other companies (such as Carnival, for example), the info on the website and the answers you get from one representitive to the next don't always match.:rolleyes:

Strange wording in the letter, also ("At this time we have decided"). Like it's arbitrary. Well, anyway, it's good for you that yours don't expire. I'd keep a copy of that letter in case you need to fight them about it in the future.;)

Huh, that is strange. But like so many other companies (such as Carnival, for example), the info on the website and the answers you get from one representitive to the next don't always match.:rolleyes:

Strange wording in the letter, also ("At this time we have decided"). Like it's arbitrary. Well, anyway, it's good for you that yours don't expire. I'd keep a copy of that letter in case you need to fight them about it in the future.;)

I thought that wording was strange too. We are planning on using them next August for our Alaska cruise which will be well before the 5 year expiration.

I thought that wording was strange too. We are planning on using them next August for our Alaska cruise which will be well before the 5 year expiration.

Ahh, Alaska...excellent choice for a free cruise!:D

Archived