Is the city tour worth seeing?

elou

IMO, the better 2 things to see in Belize City are the old St Johns Anglican Church and the Cultural Museum in the old Governors Mansion across the street. Church takes 10 minutes. You can see the outside and the yard of the Governors Mansion from the tender (cannons and a large yacht in the yard) before you reach the pier. Self guided tour can take 10- 30 minutes. Interest artifacts from the colonial era. Small donation required. Short taxi ride or a 20 minute walk.

There's a Belize Musuem within short walking distance from the Tourist Village where the tenders dock. You can get there by turning right out of the gate and walking along the waterfront palisades past the light house ( a quick stop) to Hudson Street (left) then up one block to Queen Street.

And then after either of those you can stop at either Nerries or Anna's for a nice Belizean lunch. Nerries is off Queen Street and Daly near the swing Bridge and Anna's is a couple of blocks up Front Street past the swing bridge. Short walk from either back to the Tourist Village and the flea market just outside. And hawkers won't bother you if you're coming that way.

No. But I have numerous times,walked around both downtown, south of the swing bridge, and the area around the cruise port, embassies, flea market, higher class hotels, schools etc. that are north of the swing bridge. Unmolested and unapproached, I might add, by any hawker once passed the the crusie center gate. It's an easy walk. Nice way to stretch your sea legs.

I've done the city / country tour with locals once off the ship. Go with a company that is represented with a logo shirt not just some individual. From what I've heard from our tour guide- Nacho and Cynthia for our upcoming cruise they have really buckled down on who gets to go in the tourist part area. You can def talk down prices in this area. I would recommend the baboon sanctuary as well. It's not a lot of walking but very cool.

We went to Belize last year and made the mistake of going out the gate that is located in the tourist area for ships. We took a ride to Belize City on a wagon for tourists and were very worried about our safety. Went thru a horrible area on the way. I asked about crime and our guide said, "terrible." When we arrived at our destination, it was a tourist trap. Beware....

I find myself rather uncomfortable in town outside the cruise port the two times I ventured on our own.

Never did I have any issue, but I was just out of my comfort zone and I have travelled the world.

Now I tend to stick to water events leaving from inside.

Archived