South America/Antartic

pkmedical

We must have posted within minutes of each other! Great minds or something like that. We sail in January...apparently there are only two or three cruises to the antartic. Wonderful info....once my thread went up I saw everyone's helpful comments.

pkmedical,

True, HAL only does two or three cruises that go to Antarctica each year, but be advised that you do not go ashore in Antarctica of these cruises.

There are several smaller ships that sail to Antarctica each season where there are opportunities to go ashore. Many of these cruises start in Ushuaia, which is billed as "The World's Southernmost Town." (Actually there's a more southerly place, but apparently it's too small to have a Chamber of Commerce.)

Antartic

Antarctic and Antarctica

:)

I've been wanting to do that cruise for a while now. I've been to Antarctica on the Orient Line's Marco Polo ... one of the ships from which one is allowed to actually go ashore. It was a great experience, and one I will always cherish. But I'd love to see the beautiful sights again. It's impressive.

Archived