Athol Island snorkel in Bahamas

teacher424

anyone been on the athol island excursion? how was it? would it be appropriate for people who have been snorkling a couple of times before? any other snorkeling excursions that are available on the dawn that you think are better than this one? there's not really anything else we'd like to do in the bahamas, so thought this was a good choice.

The only problem with the Athol snorkel is that it's too short - but the timing gives you a bit of time in port before you have to board. I love the "Dive In" excursions on NCL.

The first time I did this excursion, the weather was bad, so we went to Pearl Island - did it two more times and actually went to Athol - both reefs are quite nice and worth seeing.

If you're concerned about being "experienced", don't be - the ship's Dive In staff is with you on the excursion.

Have fun!!!

Pam

anyone been on the athol island excursion? how was it? would it be appropriate for people who have been snorkling a couple of times before? any other snorkeling excursions that are available on the dawn that you think are better than this one? there's not really anything else we'd like to do in the bahamas, so thought this was a good choice.

Just did this one a couple of weeks ago. It is off of a boat. I have been snorkeling many times and many places. I rate this as a very good snorkeling excursion. A lot of coral and a lot of fish.

We are thinking of doing this snorkeling excursion the day after Christmas. Are we crazy? Everybody tells me the weather is unpredictable, but I figure we can tough it up for just a couple of hours. Has anyone done this excursion this time time of the year?

Allison

We are thinking of doing this snorkeling excursion the day after Christmas. Are we crazy? Everybody tells me the weather is unpredictable, but I figure we can tough it up for just a couple of hours. Has anyone done this excursion this time time of the year?

Allison

The water temperature can be cool that time of year in the Bahamas.

Most ships have a Catamaran Snorkel trip which would take you to the same general place (Sea Gardens or Rose Island) or the Pearl Island Snorkel trip or Pearl Island Treasure Hunt.. (both of these have good snorkeling. but the entry is a bit rocky for those who may have a problem).

Any snorkleing trip that goes to the Sea Gardens, Rose Island, Anthol Island or Pearl Island are fine.

Stay away from Blue Lagoon and Blackbeards for snorkeling.. nothing to see..

Most ships have a Catamaran Snorkel trip which would take you to the same general place (Sea Gardens or Rose Island) or the Pearl Island Snorkel trip or Pearl Island Treasure Hunt.. (both of these have good snorkeling. but the entry is a bit rocky for those who may have a problem).

Any snorkleing trip that goes to the Sea Gardens, Rose Island, Anthol Island or Pearl Island are fine.

Stay away from Blue Lagoon and Blackbeards for snorkeling.. nothing to see..

My recollection from the snorkeling I have done at Nassau is that Sea Gardens, Rose Island and Athol Island are the same place.

Pearl Island is okay snorkeling but not as good as the above. One problem is that at Pearl Island they have a marked area off the island and the best snorkeling is outside the marked area they let you snorkel in. i discovered that when I accidently wandered out of that area and they started blowing a whistle at me. But what really disliked about the Pearl Island excursion was that they crammed to many people on the boat to the island.

My recollection from the snorkeling I have done at Nassau is that Sea Gardens, Rose Island and Athol Island are the same place.

Pearl Island is okay snorkeling but not as good as the above. One problem is that at Pearl Island they have a marked area off the island and the best snorkeling is outside the marked area they let you snorkel in. i discovered that when I accidently wandered out of that area and they started blowing a whistle at me. But what really disliked about the Pearl Island excursion was that they crammed to many people on the boat to the island.

The Sea Gardens are off the west coast of Anthol Island at the end of the harbour. The BEACH break at Anthol Island is at the northern end of the island, just before you go around the corner. Rose Island is quite a way out past Pearl Island.

There are two snorkeling spots at Pearl Island. One is at the eastern end of the island, past the stingrays, the other off the back side of the island near the lighthouse. The area north of the lighthouse has SPECTACULAR snorkeling.

If you take the Yellowbird tour, there are usually less people, and you can rent your snorkel and mask on the island. Less expensive, less people.

ScubaGirl,

The tour doesn't mention snorkeling. It mentions a stop at a beautiful beach and time for a "swim". Did you take this tour - did you rent the snorkeling gear right there on the beach and how much time did you have to snorkel?

My nephew is captain of the Yellowbird, so I wander onboard from time to time.. I have my own equipment, so I don't know the price, but I DO see the gear shack and signs for rental near the souvenier stand. You are only at the beach about 1 1/2 hours total.

The Yellowbird tour is NOT a snorkeling tour.. but since the island consessions lets you rent, they let you snorkel. If you bring your own, they won't let you snorkel in the back reef, but if you rent.. you can go with a buddy.

HAL has cancelled their excursion to Athol for the September sailing. Since this is suppose to be good snorkelling does anyone know of a private tour company we may contact?

Thanks

Here's a link to the tour desk in most hotels.. they may be able to help. Timing might be an issue.

http://www.majesticholidays.com/tours/excursiont/excursiont.htm

• 4 years later...

my family and i visited athol island in dec 2009 my sister and her live on a sailboat and took us there in their dinghy we spent the day there and had a blast the snorkeling was awesome i wouldnt use the cattle boats if i were you rent a boat and go yourself:D

Archived