Disabled cruiser on the QM2

Stellamax09

I have booked my first cruise on the QM2. I have an accessible cabin(8128)and reserved the necessary aids which will be delivered to my cabin prior to embarkation.

I am excited but a bit nervous too. I will be travelling with 2 very experienced cruisers who know the QM2 very well so this is reassuring to some degree.

I would love to hear from any other disabled cruisers who have sailed on the QM2..the good and the bad!

All areas of the ship are pretty much accessible. However, sometimes you will need to take a circuitous route to get places if you are in a wheel chair or cannot do stairs. For example, you cannot get to the spa on deck 8 from the port side; you need to go to the bow on the starboard side, near the bookstore/library, where there is a ramp, then cross over to the starboard side. (Often this ramp is clogged with carts, which have to be moved.)

Additionally, you cannot enter into the Pool Terrace area on Deck 8 without going through the Tood English Rest. This could be an issue at time, particularly at lunch, but for the person having to be wheeled through, while others are having their lunch, can be disconcerting for the person with the disability. The only other way to access the Pool Terrace, where many parties are held, is up or down a long flight of stairs.

The other issue is the location of the Queen's Room and G-32. One can only access them using the aft elevators or using two-sets of short lifts that transfer you from Deck 3 to Deck 3-L, cross under the Britannia Rest, then the other short lift from 3-L back to Deck 3 to enter the Queen's Room.

I am sure your friend, who know the ship, can get you around. But you need to be aware that there were some design issues with this ship, which I mentioned above.

Their entertainment deck hallways are quite wide so there's not much of a concern there. They never allowed me to cut through the Todd English Restaurant to get to the aft pool. It was tough for me to get to the photo area because its on what I called a half deck---kind of a deck 5 and 1/2. For me, the buffet area was really a challenge because it was laid out so poorly. And I totally agree with njguy about getting to the Queens Room. That was a pain in the behind.

Archived