Am I the only one who'd love to cruise without formal night?

josassoc

You know, with issues in today's world, especially in London today, this thread is lame. I'm out of here.

If you ask me, with the issues in the world today, cruising itself is pretty frivolous, and frankly I'm glad that I can forget about the world and take part in this frivolous activity. But since this is a cruise specific board, I don’t think the topic or the discussion is lame at all.

We dress up (in tuxes and cocktail dresses) almost weekend (wedding DJs), but when we cruise we still look forward to formal nights. To us, a cruise is more than a vacation, its a special occasion, and we dress up for special occasions. Although we hardly ever take a good cruise photo. There's still something very special to me about walking down the atrium staircase with my wife dressed in sequins and pearls hanging onto my tuxedoed arm. Gives me a warm feeling just thinking about it and makes me wish September would hurry up and get here. I do fear though that someday I will be overdressed on a Princess ship and that will be a shame.

I have now talked to two princess reps who both gave me the same

information. What we plan to wear on formal nights will be fine. Speaking

to the two reps at Princess has put the issue to rest for me.

As I recall on the Coral Princess this past April, not everyone in our Personal

choice dining room was in formal wear on formal nights. I saw several in

what I would describe as smart casual. Now that I have talked to Princess

and gotten the same feedback from 2 reps, I will not have any qualms about

it either.

If you ask me, with the issues in the world today, cruising itself is pretty frivolous, and frankly I'm glad that I can forget about the world and take part in this frivolous activity. But since this is a cruise specific board, I don’t think the topic or the discussion is lame at all.

I think this is one statement we will all agree with!! (Well, most of us) :D

it either.

Good luck…

If you ask me how other people are dressed on formal night, I can't really tell you. I can't seem to take my eyes off of my beautiful wife.

I can't take my eyes off your beautiful wife, I mean my beautiful wife either.

it either.

Looks like the second rep was incorrect also. You do know that Princess hires high school students for the summer in this job.. :D Try a third call and since you were on the Coral Princess ask this question. "What is the suggested dress code for formal nights in the Provence and Bordeaux dining rooms"

What I don’t understand is why folks who choose not to dress formally want to dine with us stuffed shirts in our tuxes? :) The room has been designated by the host (cruise line) as a formal venue. There are lots of other dinning option for those who would rather not participate. Why do casual dressers feel the need to get prior approval to dress casually at the formal venue? If it’s a costume ball, and I choose not to have a costume, then I go to another party – and the ship has lots of other parties. Yet instead, all I see is folks who would rather not get dress up wanting to justify their decision to crash the costume ball dressed in street clothes. Why? :confused:

lesharona, be comfortable and enjoy your cruise. Don't worry about the people here who are criticizing you. As long as Princess allows it then what you wear is fine by me. :D

I don’t think anyone is trying to criticize…just offering a warning. It’s pretty well known that the Princess reps don’t give out the best information and what is the “ruling” by land may not be by sea.

[quote=bdjam

. In reality, I know that no, they won’t enforce the policy because they want to be sure casual cruisers are comfortable and come back for another cruise. So in response to that, I have voiced my opinion directly to Princess and have been quite satisfied with their response.

If you know they won't enforce the policy it would be helpful to this discussion to know what was the response by Princess.

If you know they won't enforce the policy it would be helpful to this discussion to know what was the response by Princess.
I’m not quite sure I follow your reasoning. Why would Princess’ response to my constructive complaint be important to this topic?

My family and I intend to enjoy our cruise, and hope everyone else enjoys

theirs. There are different degrees of dressing up or down, and I am sure

we will reach a happy medium that suits everyone in our group.

My family and I intend to enjoy our cruise, and hope everyone else enjoys

theirs. There are different degrees of dressing up or down, and I am sure

we will reach a happy medium that suits everyone in our group.

Since you have first hand experience, perhaps you’d like to help me understand. You have a family group who would prefer not to have to dress and attend a formal evening. So, knowing Princess has formal evenings, why did you buy your cruise on Princess? It’s not because of what you were told by the Princess rep because you just got that information today. It’s no secret that I enjoy the formal evenings, but if I didn’t and I wanted a totally casual cruise, Princess is one of the last cruise lines I would book – it just makes common sense to me not to pay for something I don’t want. Sorry – I just don’t get why someone would and then would expect the rule to be bent, ignored, rescinded, whatever…?

Because they aren't really looking for advice, they're looking for accomplices.

You are partially right. I'd feel a bit odd if I were the only one wearing a silky top and black pants. My idea of dressy casual. There is comfort in knowing there will be others. Those that ask ahead are trying to be respectful and are probably more conforming then you would guess.

I also think that those who are questioning the less then formal folks are picturing someone in street causal rather then dressy casual. If you pass us on formal night, you probably would not give us a second glance nor would we send off your radar for being inappropriately dressed. My thought is, I am a 57 year old woman, whether I am dressed up in a long designer gown or a silk top and black pants, heads are not going to turn either way.

Dining is only a small, small piece of the crusie experience. Princess is our choice and will remain so for many other reasons.

Since you have first hand experience, perhaps you’d like to help me understand. You have a family group who would prefer not to have to dress and attend a formal evening. So, knowing Princess has formal evenings, why did you buy your cruise on Princess? It’s not because of what you were told by the Princess rep because you just got that information today. It’s no secret that I enjoy the formal evenings, but if I didn’t and I wanted a totally casual cruise, Princess is one of the last cruise lines I would book – it just makes common sense to me not to pay for something I don’t want. Sorry – I just don’t get why someone would and then would expect the rule to be bent, ignored, rescinded, whatever…?

I have cruised on Princess, NCL and Carnival. We have family members

going this time who have never cruised. I want them to enjoy the best

of cruising which in my book is Princess.

And as I posted earlier we intend to have a wonderful cruise, and enjoy

dinner each night in whatever clothing we choose to wear.

I don’t think anyone is trying to criticize…just offering a warning. It’s pretty well known that the Princess reps don’t give out the best information and what is the “ruling” by land may not be by sea.

Oh my....a warning!! What kind of warning might that be? That she would be underdressed? That she would be looked down on?

AFAIC since Princess doesn't seem to bar those people that aren't complying with that whole formal thing, I would say that the reps who answered her question were right on.

Oh my....a warning!! What kind of warning might that be? That she would be underdressed? That she would be looked down on?

AFAIC since Princess doesn't seem to bar those people that aren't complying with that whole formal thing, I would say that the reps who answered her question were right on.

Except, as in my last Princess cruise, the formal dress requirements were stated in the Patter and they were enforced.. I would hate to have her party asked to go eat in the Horizon during formal night..

Archived