Am I the only one who'd love to cruise without formal night?

josassoc

I’m not quite sure I follow your reasoning. Why would Princess’ response to my constructive complaint be important to this topic?

You complained to Princess because they didn't enforce the dress code...You received a response...I think it is very relevant to this topic how Princess responds to complaints...Did they promise to enforce the dress code?...Perhaps you received a credit for a future cruise...In that case I understand your reluctance to discuss it.

Except, as in my last Princess cruise, the formal dress requirements were stated in the Patter and they were enforced.. I would hate to have her party asked to go eat in the Horizon during formal night..

That’s exactly the warning that I was suggesting. I’m sorry that I tried to help this poster. It’s unfortunate that some always think the worst about what’s being posted and have to read into posts what’s not really there.

Perhaps you received a credit for a future cruise

That I did with a well worded apology…but again, I don’t understand how that is relevant to someone’s mentioning they aren’t interested in formal nights.

One thing I have forgotten to mention, the personal dining rooms open at 5:30 p.m. and that is when we prefer to have dinner. Often times all of the tables around us are empty until we are about ready to leave the dining room. Could it be the "dressy casual" crowd likes to eat early and the cruise line leaves them alone because no one is there to object?

Given todays event this is all minor potatoes. We all love cruising. I love looking at all the dressed up couples, I delight in the joy I see on the faces of the more casual dresser and am thankful that we can have this wonderful

experience.

Carol

[quote name=bdjam

That I did with a well worded apology…but again, I don’t understand how that is relevant to someone’s mentioning they aren’t interested in formal nights.

Are you serious...Someone receives a cruise credit and a apology from Princess because the cruiseline did not enforce the dress code and you say it is not relevant to formal nights...Perhaps those who are complaining about the lack of consistent enforcement should contact Princess.

That’s exactly the warning that I was suggesting. I’m sorry that I tried to help this poster. It’s unfortunate that some always think the worst about what’s being posted and have to read into posts what’s not really there.

Well since you are relying on someone else's experience and not your own I really don't think that you are in a position to give anyone a warning.

As far as reading into your posts, I have seen you several times make comments to others when they don't want to dress up. It's pretty easy to see that you consider people who do not dress up for formal nights your social inferiors.

So you are saying that they gave you a credit because you didn't like the way the other people were dressed? You know that could get really expensive for them....you would think that they would just enforce the dress code if it were really that big of a deal.

On our two Princess cruises we decided on Personal Choice, dressed up for formal nights on the first, elected not to on the second - and we went to the Horizon Court to eat. What was funny, and what stuck out to everyone there in the Horizon Court was the few couples sitting their in their tux and evening gown. They looked as out of place as we would have in the main dining room (although we did see quite a few people who didn't even bother with a coat and tie in the room when we did formal night). I think Princess should prohibit people from entering the Horizon Court in Formal Wear on Formal nights - it ruins the cruise for those of us who want to dress casual! (PS - that's a joke!)

On both formal nights - males wore good slacks/dress shirts - no tie - no jacket; female wore nice slacks, dressy jacket blouse.

However, a quick look around, showed many dressier folks.

We ate in Anytime dining rooms. We ate by ourselves. We ate early.

We were not turned away - no comments were made by staff. We were prepared to go to the buffet if we were turned away from the dining room.

I guess it doesn't matter the semantics of wording in brochures, or what Princess staff says when you phone to ask, or what other cruisers think or say.

What matters is whether the staff on various ships turn away informally dressed cruisers. Our experience has been - they do not.

I realize that formal night is a tradition for cruising. But, it is my vacation...and I'd love to be able to relax and forego the dress and heels for a week. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I'm NOT looking for an education on the etiquette of cruising. I don't wear jeans to the dining room. I do follow the rules and bring/wear my black cocktail attire when we cruise. I'D JUST RATHER NOT! (So flamers find another victim!!)

What I wish is that I could JUST ONCE go on a cruise without having to go through the enire hassle of getting so dressed up...so that they can sell more photos. My opinion.

I LOVE FORMAL NIGHTS :p BUT YOU CAN TRY NCL :D ;)

I am leaving for my cruise in two weeks. I will be wearing a tuxedo (rental - one black jacket, one white jacket) on all three formal nights. As soon as I am dressed, I will immediately go into my James Bond fantasy. I will not be caring what other people are wearing. If I happen to see others that are not as dressed up as me, I will just assume that their secret spy organizations do not have as big a budget as mine does or that their secret spy organizations have adapted a more casual dresscode for field operations. Either way, I will be on guard - for one never knows who is friend or foe.

That opens up soooo many good joke lines - but being a family board I'm going to resist :-) But I think that's the right attitude - and as long as you keep taking your meds.......

We would love to eat lobster and not have to dress up for it:-)

There's no need to skip formal nights. You can eat lobster and NOT dress up for it. Slip into a nice pair of black slacks; throw on a cream color or white silk blouse; pull your hair back; 3 minutes max; smile; walk to dinner.:)

Why can't the cruise lines just set up on edining room for formal for those who like dressing up and have a different dining room for those who wish to be casual. When you book your cruise just designate your preference so they can determine which dining room would accomadate the proper number.

We enjoy the formal dinners but do not like the fact that many cruisers who don't care just go to the dining room in whatever they choose to wear.

Maybe this is elitist but wasn't that was cruising formal about with class level dining like Cunard.

Perhaps those who go casual on a cruise will like the idea of dressing up and choose the latter on their next cruise. There should be no difference in the menu.:rolleyes:

There's no need to skip formal nights. You can eat lobster and NOT dress up for it. Slip into a nice pair of black slacks; throw on a cream color or white silk blouse; pull your hair back; 3 minutes max; smile; walk to dinner.:)

Do this often myself although it takes me 4 mins. max with short hair..and I adore Bob Mackie's silk shirts and sweaters.. as dressy and more tasteful with a long black skirt or pants than some gowns I've seen...:rolleyes:

There are varying degrees of dressing up, some go all out, while others stick

to a more simple dress. Black pants and white silk blouse a good example

of keeping it elegant but simple.

I do think it is a choice, just what degree you want to go with it. My main

concern on our upcoming cruise was making all in our party comfortable,

and not yielding to some one else's idea or opinion of what they consider

appropriate attire.

Are you serious...Someone receives a cruise credit and a apology from Princess because the cruiseline did not enforce the dress code and you say it is not relevant to formal nights...Perhaps those who are complaining about the lack of consistent enforcement should contact Princess.

That’s not what I said at all. What I said was that my correspondence with Princess has nothing to do with this topic. This thread was started by someone who wondered if others preferred to cruise without formal nights. My contribution to the thread was to suggest there were casual alternatives to formal evenings on ships. After that it became a free for all and the topic has veered. I have, however, tried to stay on topic and a discussion about my complaint to Princess is not part of that topic.

Well since you are relying on someone else's experience and not your own I really don't think that you are in a position to give anyone a warning.

This quote is in regard to my “warning” to another poster that attempting to enter a dining room in casual clothes on a formal night might not be successful. I’m not quite sure why this poster thinks I’m relying on someone else’s experience as I personally – with my own peepers – saw someone refused entrance to the dining room by one of the Head Waiters on Island Princess because they were in Hawaiian garb on formal night. The Head Waiter explained to these people that in deference to the passengers that were dressed, they would not be allowed in the dining room. So, I’m relying on my own experience, thanks.
As far as reading into your posts, I have seen you several times make comments to others when they don't want to dress up. It's pretty easy to see that you consider people who do not dress up for formal nights your social inferiors.
Wrong again, ‘mom. I may feel people who refuse to dress appropriately, and then insist on taking part in a formal event socially misguided, but I never said anyone was inferior to me. Rather than taking my posts at face value, you’re reading into them and that’s not fair. I take what you post at face value – I ask for the same in return.
So you are saying that they gave you a credit because you didn't like the way the other people were dressed? You know that could get really expensive for them....you would think that they would just enforce the dress code if it were really that big of a deal.
Again, my correspondence with Princess is between me and the cruise line - but no, I never said that. I do agree with you, however – there should be an enforced standard to make it easier on everyone – and that was part of my constructive criticism. Since that time, I’ve seen people dressed casually turned away from the dining room on formal night. Now I don’t want to take any credit for that, but maybe Princess is listening.
My main concern on our upcoming cruise was making all in our party comfortable, and not yielding to some one else's idea or opinion of what they consider appropriate attire.
And that includes the cruise line that’s selling you the ticket for a cruise with at least two formal evenings…?

Let me guess, those dressed up would be in First Class????

Who said anything about First or Second? Why not Formal, and Casual. Of course, if there were a difference in certain aspects, one would need only don the appropriate attire to benefit. Go ahead and draw a box, but think outside it. It makes as much sense as saying that we don't like the product we're buying, so change it, rather than buying what you really want in the first place.

For my part, and as a suggestion to others who tire of the endless debate on this subject, I shall make any comments (good or bad) to those in charge - and certainly will express my appreciation to those Head Waiters and Maitres d' (that's actually the correct way to pluralize that one :) ) who make an effort to maintain the standards and decorum that I appreciate.

Bdjam...as we all know you are a "traditionalist" and I respect you for your core values on this subject I just have one last point to advance with you.

You quoted...And that includes the cruise line that’s selling you the ticket for a cruise with at least two formal evenings

I equate this no differently than if I went to an all-inclusive resort and decided not to particpate in the all you can drink booze...if I choose to partake so be it and if I don't oh well my loss for not taking advantage of the fact that "something" was built into my price for my holiday. But I am certainly not ostracized by the rest of the boozers so why would should it be different about Formal Night attire?

That's all for me on this one...I hope unless you write back in 10 minutes as I know you will!:p

Archived