Am I the only one who'd love to cruise without formal night?

josassoc

If you we're invited to the White House to have dinner with President Bush, and the invitation stated Formal Attire Suggested.....what would you wear?

I'd wear a t-shirt with a huge peace symbol on it, but I'm probably not likely to get invited to the White House. Is this really comparable to what people wear on a cruise ship while on vacation?

Then, what is the point of continued argument over this, if not to find a few who support your assertions. Actually, it's tough to argue with a woman on this issue anyway since you have the option to take any outfit and accessorize it into something more than it started. We men don't have nearly the same options.

The point is that I enjoy discussing it and offering my opinions. I'm not trying to rally the troops just expressing an opinion or responding to some comment. Why is that a problem for you?

I think I did answer that. Maybe it was another thread. Yes, I have, though the proper number here is *55. 911 is for emergencies.

You call every time you see someone speeding?

Not bribery. Feedback.

Well I hope you are providing enough "feedback" to make up for the tip that they are probably not receiving from the other people.

Well, yes, in fact that's why she likes cruising even more than I.

If she is happy with the description then that's all that matters.

If you we're invited to the White House to have dinner with President Bush, and the invitation stated Formal Attire Suggested.....what would you wear?

With all due respect, there is a bit of difference between being an invited guest at a White House dinner and being a paying passenger on a cruise ship.

That said, I doubt you will receive a dinner invitation from the President with a suggested attire. The etiquette is that the tone of the invitation and the time of the event suggest the formality of the occason. Either nothing would be said and the guests would be expected to inquire if they could not infer, or (if it is a formal occasion), it might read simply "Black Tie."

An interesting thought occurred to me while I was reading through some of the posts. Do all of us folks who prefer to dress formally ever save seats by the pool? Or at the theater? These too would be considered rules that Princess puts forth. Is it ok to pick and chose the rules we want to follow or should we follow them all?

And at least with dress code "violations" ... if they are really violations to begin with in some cases ... you are really not doing anything to cheat another passenger out of their cruise experience. If they don't care for how you are dressed in the dining room, well ... they could always choose to ignore you! :)

But with some of these other rules, like saving seats at the pool or theater, by breaking those rules you are actually taking away from the experience that your fellow cruisers paid for. Hey, maybe I really wanted to sit up front during a particular show, arrived early, and found one person holding all the seats front and center for their party. I'm stuck with a less choice seat now.

Again, I will say ... Princess, nor any other cruise line for that matter, will never allow dress code "violations" to become glaring. They do have certain standards they will enforce. But, obviously, those standards are changing and it would seem that certain "digressions" are being allowed these days. But I doubt it will be anytime soon that someone will be allowed in the dining room on formal night in jeans and sneakers. But, maybe a nice shirt and neat pair of pants ... but no jacket or tie ... well, maybe that will be allowed.

Look ... we all go on cruises for the same reasons ... to have fun, to relax and to be pampered. Why not concentrate on enjoying our time onboard, dressing to the nines on formal night if we want, posing for all those pictures in our finery ... if those things are important to us ... and then let others to whom those things hold no appeal enjoy their experience too. Like I said, believe me, you won't have to worry about anyone sitting next to you in the dining room dressed as a total slob. Princess would never allow it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived