Engine problems - on the Dream now (6/30/05 to 7/11/05)

We're on the NCL Dream now. It appears that one engine quit working (thrown rod?) on its last cruise. They've cancelled out stop at Sitka, and given everybody a $50 onboard credit.

Cruise critic people (from our roll call) met with the Captain (Mogic). He was very nice and polite to our group. Once woman asked which side of the ship would face Hubbard Glacier, and he responded: "which side would you like to face it?"

No problems that would deter us from taking a cruise again on this ship. The crew is polite, and professional.

By the way, the captain says he reads cruisecritic; however, he doesn't respond. That is good, this is our forum to share information.

We did not stop at Sitka either and I hate to tell you this but we were told it happened on the cruise before us, which we found out later from several of the bus drivers at the Salmon Bake that they have had that problem for a long time and seldom stop at Sitka. I understand that "stuff happens" but I DO NOT like to be lied to. However, we found that the staff was very nice, the weather was wonderful and we did enjoy ourselves.

Our weather hasn't been so good, wish we were like you. Its been raining since we left Seattle.

Its unfortunate, but most people do select their cruises based upon it going to Sitka. We selected this cruise as a grandmother and father lived there once and wanted to see it again. It seems to be the least commercial of all the ports.

We did not stop at Sitka either and I hate to tell you this but we were told it happened on the cruise before us, which we found out later from several of the bus drivers at the Salmon Bake that they have had that problem for a long time and seldom stop at Sitka. I understand that "stuff happens" but I DO NOT like to be lied to. However, we found that the staff was very nice, the weather was wonderful and we did enjoy ourselves.

Marla: I don't know where your bus driver got his information, but I was on the sailing of the Dream previous to yours (June 9 - 20) and we most certainly did stop in Sitka, as did the May 19 sailing, as per Hotspur on these boards. The Dream only had three Alaska sailings before yours and stopped in Sitka for sure on two of them and may well have stopped there on the May 30 sailing as well.

By the way, I read in a previous post on a different thread that the Captain had reported that on June 19 the Dream suffered an engine malfunction. I can attest to the fact that during dinner on the last night of our cruise (Sunday, June 19)there was a loud rumbling sound and the ship came to a dead stop quite suddenly. The occurrence had the wait staff in the dining room (Four Seasons) going over to the windows to see what had happened. The diners at the next table were commenting as to how this could mean we were "dead in the water" and would be getting a partial refund on our cruise. I had to smile at that bit of wishful thinking on our last evening of a cruise that was very close to perfect. Anyway, the ship never lost power (electricity) in the passenger areas, but we most certainly were stopped for a while for no apparent reason.

Just my two cents worth . . .

Marla: I don't know where your bus driver got his information, but I was on the sailing of the Dream previous to yours (June 9 - 20) and we most certainly did stop in Sitka, as did the May 19 sailing, as per Hotspur on these boards. The Dream only had three Alaska sailings before yours and stopped in Sitka for sure on two of them and may well have stopped there on the May 30 sailing as well.

Yes, we had a very enjoyable day in Sitka, and a nice t-shirt from the Alaska Raptor Rehabilitation Center to show for it.

Not having been on any of the cruises that missed Sitka, I can make no comment on what was or was not told to passengers about Sitka, but, if NCL and/or the Dream officers are not giving passengers the full story, then they are making a big mistake.

We are sailing on the 22nd and Sitka has been dropped1 I am not sure what to do as it was one of the main reason we booked this cruise. You say you got a $50 credit was this per cabin or person?

Samantha

Archived