Lightweight toddler carseat?

giselleacttwo

I remember reading a recommendation for a lightweight carseat for travel here, but I can't remember the name of it. I'm looking for a five point harness (so it wasn't the bubble bum) because my daughter is still just 2 and will be at the time of travel. Anyone remember?

I remember reading a recommendation for a lightweight carseat for travel here, but I can't remember the name of it. I'm looking for a five point harness (so it wasn't the bubble bum) because my daughter is still just 2 and will be at the time of travel. Anyone remember?

Ohhhh.... nevermind, I think I found it. My Amazon search history was my friend. Cosco Scenera for anyone else who was looking. Sorry. Asked and answered. :rolleyes:

Ohhhh.... nevermind, I think I found it. My Amazon search history was my friend. Cosco Scenera for anyone else who was looking. Sorry. Asked and answered. :rolleyes:

You got it :). Just remember it doesn't have built in lock offs, so you need to have an automatic locking seatbelt or LATCH, otherwise bring your locking clip and practice using it at home before you go!

If your kiddo is FF (which at 2, I hope kiddo is still rear-facing), you might also look at the Maestro. It is super light, and nice and tall, but is a forward facing only seat. It will last much longer than a Scenara, but if kiddo is still RF, it won't work for you.

If your kiddo is FF (which at 2, I hope kiddo is still rear-facing), you might also look at the Maestro. It is super light, and nice and tall, but is a forward facing only seat. It will last much longer than a Scenara, but if kiddo is still RF, it won't work for you.

Have they changed the recommendations for rear-facing again? When my boys were little, it was until the age of 1. Then it changed to until the age of 2. We started forward facing her at 2. I hadn't heard it was meant to go beyond 2 now...:confused:

2 is the bare minimum. Extended rear facing is 500% safer than FF in reducing neck loads in a front or side impact collision. AAP recommends rearfacing to the limits of your seat, so the longer you can RF the better. Bones don't ossify til closer to 4, which is why parents in Sweden rear-face til the 4th birthday. They have the lowest car-accident death rates in the world for this reason. It is becoming more popular in America, but is not mainstream yet.

Here is some more info.

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/car_seats/rear-facing_seats_6.html

While I recognize that what those of us on car-seat.org do is not the norm, my kids RF til 4 in Diono Radians, which RF to 45 pounds.

Archived