Allure of the Seas Review with Pictures - 18 August 2013

NMG318

Very nice pictures.

What time did you leave the ship in Nassau? Got a pic before the other three ships arrived!!

I am about 3/4 done uploading and editing my pics. Hope to have them up this weekend

I was actually up on deck taking pictures and noticed there was another ship coming in so I rushed down to the dock to get a picture before the view was blocked. I got off the ship at sometime between 0715 and 0730.

When we were in St Thomas, we booked the "St Thomas Jetski and Snorkeling" excursion through Island Marketing ($290 for the three of us). We took a taxi scheduled through Island Marketing to Coki Beach where the excursion departed. This was the first of two taxi issues we had on this cruise (I will write about the other one later). The excursion itself was great. The jetskis were in excellent condition and the snorkeling was outstanding. We motored out to an area just off the coast of a private island called Lovango Cay which is just northwest of St John. The agreed taxi fair was $45 for 3 of us round trip (I had a written contract). When we got back to the boat the taxi driver said it would cost $54. I showed him the contract and gave him $54 ( was going to give him a $10 tip anyway).

G0010023.JPG

G0010029.JPG

G0010030.JPG

G0010031.JPG

G0010040.JPG

When we were in St Maarten I went to Maho Beach. This is where I had my second taxi issue. The taxi fair to Maho Beach is $20 for 1-2 people (total) and $9/person for 3-4 people. Since I was by myself, I waited about 10 minutes for a couple more people to show up and rode along with them so it only cost me $9 (plus $6 tip) vs $20. That ride there went great. When I was ready to return, I did the same thing. I waited for a couple more people and confirmed with the taxi driver the cost of $9 per person and he confirmed the price. On the way back to the ship we went through the "downtown" area about a half mile from the ship and the taxi driver ask if we all wanted to get out and shop. I said no, but the couple I was with said yes. As soon as they got out he informed me that he was going to charge me $20 for the taxi ride since I was no longer with a group. I reminded him we agreed to $9. When we arrived back at the port, I handed him $9 with NO tip.

Maho Beach is definitely a cool place to visit.

This picture was taken earlier in the day before the crowds showed up.

IMG_1609.JPG

Everyone pretty much ignored this sign.

IMG_1610.JPG

This is the sunset bar on one end of the beach.

IMG_1611.JPG

Picture taken from the Sunset Bar

IMG_1643.JPG

The Sunset Bar post the time of arrivals for the bit planes.

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

I think the info posted throughout the ship really help 1st timers on this ship to find their way around. I did have someone on Friday at the front of the ship ask me where the Windjammer was. How do you not know where the Windjammer is by Friday?

IMG_1839.JPG

GOPR0199.JPG

My wife on the zip line.

IMG_1845.JPG

Deck 5 running track

IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

Looking out the back on Deck 5 along the running track

GOPR0213.JPG

This is the one everyone waits for....Air France.

IMG_1698.JPG

Hopefully I got your good side.

Not sure if I have a "good-side" --- right side on the curb in the foreground, blue shirt. :p DW is out of the shot under the closest umbrella on the left.

Wow! Gorgeous pix--thanks for sharing, and gotta love the jets over Maho video. Whoosh!

We were on the 8/25 sailing right behind you and had an equally fabulous week. We, too, observed little aggravating behaviors from fellow pax and a notably happy, helpful staff.

About those one-floor elevator riders who work out.... I loved that track, too--it was so easy to do my 3-mile daily thing without feeling like a lab rat running tiny circles! But I confess I caught myself doing short elevator rides a couple of times because I was lost/confused, haha! And it wasn't my first Oasis-class cruise! :o

What time did you get to Maho Beach and what time did you stay till? Were you able to see alot of the large planes land before you had to return back to the Ship? How long is the taxi ride there and or back? Love all the pictures....

I arrived at around 0900 and left at around 1330. It took about 25 minutes to get there and about 30 minutes to return. I think the return taxi driver took us on a slightly different route through a downtown area. I think he was hoping we would all get out so he wouldn't have to take us all the way to the ship (another mile or so). As I indicated, the couple that was with me on the return trip did get out. I did not.

I was able to see eight large airplanes land (including Air France) and about 5 or 6 take off. The larger ones did not start arriving until a little after 1100. I was told by the taxi driver that took me to Maho Beach that I shouldn't stay much past 1400 because the traffic picks up in the afternoon. He also indicated they were constructing a new bridge (he pointed it out to me) that was going to help alleviate some of the congestion.

I got there a bit early but had a chance to enjoy the beach and bar before the crowds showed up. Oh, and beer in the picture, it was 5 o'clock on the beach....in Hawaii.

Wow! Gorgeous pix--thanks for sharing, and gotta love the jets over Maho video. Whoosh!

We were on the 8/25 sailing right behind you and had an equally fabulous week. We, too, observed little aggravating behaviors from fellow pax and a notably happy, helpful staff.

About those one-floor elevator riders who work out.... I loved that track, too--it was so easy to do my 3-mile daily thing without feeling like a lab rat running tiny circles! But I confess I caught myself doing short elevator rides a couple of times because I was lost/confused, haha! And it wasn't my first Oasis-class cruise! :o

It took us several days to find our way around the ship!

Great pics and great review.. We just booked our first cruise on the Allure, April 2014.. We have mid ship balcony on the 6th floor.. Hoping we made the right choice as we are super excited to be cruising..

I think you made a good choice.

Archived