Super 8 shuttle?

Nadersmom

Can anyone tell me if the Super 8 has shuttle service to the port and if so, what did they pay? Also. .. I've read that large vehicles may not fit under the roof in parking structure. Has anyone heard of this issue?

Thanks in advance! !

If this is the Super 8 on Chef Menteur Hwy., I would highly recommend you cancel and make reservations elsewhere. I know that you are asking questions about a shuttle though I doubt they have one but you need to call and ask. I am not trying to badmouth the hotel at all (I am not commenting on the service or the hotel itself) but this is one of the worse, most dangerous areas of the Greater New Orleans area. This area is considered "New Orleans East", a place that any local will tell you to avoid at all costs.

If this is the Super 8 on Chef Menteur Hwy., I would highly recommend you cancel and make reservations elsewhere. I know that you are asking questions about a shuttle though I doubt they have one but you need to call and ask. I am not trying to badmouth the hotel at all (I am not commenting on the service or the hotel itself) but this is one of the worse, most dangerous areas of the Greater New Orleans area. This area is considered "New Orleans East", a place that any local will tell you to avoid at all costs.

World Gallery,

Thank you. I'm not staying at the hotel. We are staying at the Drury after flying in. My Nephew and his family as well as another couple and their kids are driving from SW Missouri and are staying there as they didn't want to pay the rates closer to the quarter.

I have told them more than once that this I've been told this is not in a good area of town and that it was recommend that they find another place to stay, but they have decided to stay there anyway :confused:

Yesterday my nephew advised that the other couple, who chose this hotel, called and said that rather than park at the port during the cruise, they wanted to leave the van at Super 8 and take the shuttle to the port because it would save them $. I did call Super 8 last night and was told that they do not have a shuttle, but they call a "service" that they use and it was like $8.00 per person for a ride to the port. However, when I asked about the ride back to the hotel after the cruise, she said they would have to set that up themselves :rolleyes:

I've tried suggest to them to change hotels but didn't want to sound overly pushy about it as its their money, not mine. I've warned them a few times, and in the end, I suppose the choice is theirs, though I've read enough negative reviews about the area that there is no way that I would stay there.

Thanks for the information. I will pass it along to them, though we leave on Saturaday so my guess would be they are not going to find much even if they do decide to change hotels now.

World Gallery, since you are so familiar with the area, what is your opinion on the Quality Inn in Gretna, LA. Is this a good area? Also, what restaurants would you recommend in that area?

Thank you, :)

No way would I leave my car for a week in a parking lot on Chef Hwy, you will likely comeback to no car at all. Have they looked into hotels in Metairie or Kenner?

I agree. And that's what I told my Nephew.

Just yesterday my nephew called me and said the other couple coming with them didn't want to pay for parking at the port. Thought they'd save money by leaving the van (that they are renting to drive down from Missouri) at the hotel and then take "the shuttle".

My nephew wants to park the van at the port, not the hotel and I agreed. I told him again about the reviews for there and that I would worry about what would happen to it while I was gone for a week.

I don't know how else to stress to them that it's not a good idea to stay there. I don't want to badger them. I told him months ago to just call around and see if he could get something in the garden or warehouse district for under $100.00/night. But last time I checked with him he said they were just going to stay with the hotel that his friend had already booked. I don't know if it is because he doesn't want to pay more of if he just hadn't found the time to check around.

I will tell him AGAIN about how it has been advised by numerous people to not stay in that area. But what else can I do? :(:(

There was a thing on the news the other day about a beating and kidnapping of a grown woman by a man at a hotel in New Orleans. They said that people just sat and watched it happen and did nothing. Anyone know about that? was that is this same area?

They don't appear to be stressing about this location at all, but I sure am. But then again, they don't read these boards like I do so they just don't know what the locals are saying. I am very concerned about their choice and that they will be sorry they stayed in that area when they arrive.

World Gallery, since you are so familiar with the area, what is your opinion on the Quality Inn in Gretna, LA. Is this a good area? Also, what restaurants would you recommend in that area?

Thank you, :)

It is hard for me to describe Gretna from a local's point of view. Gretna is on the "Westbank", meaning it is across the river from New Orleans and another one of the suburbs surrounding the city of New Orleans. It is not a tourist area. If you are not from Gretna, there is really no reason to ever go there, therefore, I haven't been in a while. Although it seems to be very close to downtown New Orleans and the French Quarter, it really is very different. It is your typical suburban area, kind of run down in some areas. The restaurants are going to be your basic restaurants and fast food chains and you probably will not be able to find a meal like you could in he city. Maybe someone that lives in Gretna can help in that area.

As for safety, it definitely is not New Orleans East. Just use common sense.

I didn't hear about that horrible crime you mentioned. I doubt that was in Gretna. Also, it would be interesting to hear the whole story, meaning, what time of day, exactly where did this happen, etc, etc. If people sat around and watched, something doesn't sound right to me.

I didn't hear about that horrible crime you mentioned. I doubt that was in Gretna. Also, it would be interesting to hear the whole story, meaning, what time of day, exactly where did this happen, etc, etc. If people sat around and watched, something doesn't sound right to me.

I looked it up again. It was on Loyola Street?

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/08/video_shows_hotel_lobby_fight.html

So I think that's a different area. The first report I read said that no one did anything. The second report said another woman did try to intervene.

I couldn't open the link of the video. It seems to have been taken off.

As absolutely horrible as this is, I wouldn't compare domestic disputes with "random victim" crime. This is a case of domestic violence. Very small under the video, it states - "New Orleans police said a 6-year-old boy is in protective custody after his parents abandoned him Friday morning at a hotel during a domestic dispute. Police are asking for the public's assistance in identifying the parents."

It is very sad that people are less likely to speak out, help out or call for help in cases of domestic violence. So very sad.

• 3 months later...

Just for reference, we spent 4 days at this hotel in May 2013 and loved every minute of it. It's secure, with security. It's a clean, well equipped hotel, with some of the friendliest staff I've ever seen. We never felt "unsafe" here, not once. We drove to the FQ every night, parked in the paid parking lots, and drove back well after midnight with no issues at all. I'd stay here again in a heart beat, and my husband calls me a hotel snob, I am super picky about hotels.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not commenting on the actual hotel but the area. I stand by what I stated in past posts. I have an relative that recently retired from the New Orleans police dept. and I watch our local news nightly. It is an extremely crime ridden area and I highly recommend avoiding New Orleans East.

• 2 weeks later...
World Gallery,

Thank you. I'm not staying at the hotel. We are staying at the Drury after flying in. My Nephew and his family as well as another couple and their kids are driving from SW Missouri and are staying there as they didn't want to pay the rates closer to the quarter.

I have told them more than once that this I've been told this is not in a good area of town and that it was recommend that they find another place to stay, but they have decided to stay there anyway :confused:

Yesterday my nephew advised that the other couple, who chose this hotel, called and said that rather than park at the port during the cruise, they wanted to leave the van at Super 8 and take the shuttle to the port because it would save them $. I did call Super 8 last night and was told that they do not have a shuttle, but they call a "service" that they use and it was like $8.00 per person for a ride to the port. However, when I asked about the ride back to the hotel after the cruise, she said they would have to set that up themselves :rolleyes:

I've tried suggest to them to change hotels but didn't want to sound overly pushy about it as its their money, not mine. I've warned them a few times, and in the end, I suppose the choice is theirs, though I've read enough negative reviews about the area that there is no way that I would stay there.

Thanks for the information. I will pass it along to them, though we leave on Saturaday so my guess would be they are not going to find much even if they do decide to change hotels now.

I stayed there last may had no problem with the hotel they are very nice also left my brand new car there for 7 days parking rode the van to the port it is 8.00 caught a cab back to hotel I think it was like 25.00 dollars hotel not in the greatest area but it was clean and nice.going on crusie may 4th 2014 and going to stay there again

I stayed there last may had no problem with the hotel they are very nice also left my brand new car there for 7 days parking rode the van to the port it is 8.00 caught a cab back to hotel I think it was like 25.00 dollars hotel not in the greatest area but it was clean and nice.going on crusie may 4th 2014 and going to stay there again

So happy it worked out for you. Good luck with your next cruise. Please be very vigilant if you leave the hotel to go to a local fast food place or grocery store. The crime is very real in that area and not just petty crime.

Edited by World Gallery

• 2 years later...

Has anyone stayed there recently??? I have read a zillion reviews and they all sounded decent. A few crappy reviews but for the most part reviews were good.

We only plan on sleeping there and leaving our car there. We don't plan on hanging out in the neighborhood. I have no problem driving 20 minutes or more to get to a store.

I don't think I will have a problem staying there based on the reviews I have read but I would like to see more current reviews:)