1st Time Impressions

sunnysavannah

My kids will be 11 & 9 on our Oct. sailing on Enchantment of the Seas and it will be their first cruise! Dad and I have been on a few cruises in their lifetime and so they know a little, but I'm so excited. Even though it is an older, smaller ship, it is going to BLOW their minds!

My DD (11) and I were talking about not being along on the ship and she said to me, "What if I need to go to the bathroom or something during the night? Do I just...? Wait, there are bathrooms in the rooms, right? So, never mind." But it got me thinking, she probably has no clue about the scale of these ships! It's hard to imagine from pictures. I was impressed the first time i saw one in person!

So, anyone else have funny stories about kids getting ready for or on their first cruise? Or even grown ups?!

Compare it to something they are familiar with. Have you ever stayed in a large hotel on vacation? The ship is like a big hotel with 14 (or however many) floors, elevators, restaurants, etc. Or compare it to a big shopping mall, with theaters, restaurants, shops, etc. That may help to give some perspective. You probably wouldn't drop your kids at the mall by themselves at this age, and likewise you wouldn't want them wandering around the ship alone.

My first cruise was on the Carnival Destiny and i was 17. I remember me, my sister (15) and my brother (12) walking into the atrium and were just in utter shock. We were so confused how this place could be a boat.

We just sailed in May and my son just turned 2. He kept jumping up and down saying SHIP MOMMY, SHIP. My daughter was 3.5 and she thought it was just amazing. The lights, the people, the music. First getting on board is one of the most magical moments :)

I love watching kids reactions to things on a ship. On our first cruise it was a little rocky one day. Saw a mom with a little girl who was obviously just starting to walk. She would walk a few steps, the deck would move and she would kind of stagger to one side or the other - then look at her mom as if to say, "gee, I'm just getting the hang of this walking thing and you put me on a floor that moves". :)

Archived