Repositioning without passengers?

SnowshoeCat

I imagine there will still be some passengers, just that it will be a non-revenue cruise. Almost certainly there will be one heck of a crew party, so they may well look tired the next day. They work hard and party harder.

Red Bull and Vodka - there is no substitute (well, there probably are substitutes). :D

I imagine there will still be some passengers, just that it will be a non-revenue cruise. Almost certainly there will be one heck of a crew party, so they may well look tired the next day. They work hard and party harder.

Red Bull and Vodka - there is no substitute (well, there probably are substitutes). :D

How are these passengers going to be able to cruise?

Won't they be breaking the law?

Bill

Correct, only bona fide working crew would be able to sail on this repositioning cruise under the PVSA. No passengers, whether or not they are paying for the cruise.

Why would crew be exempt and invited guests not be?

Even if there was a violation (which I doubt), and the appropriate authority fined Carnival (have my doubts there, too), I don't think Carnival would bat an eye at paying $300pp for the goodwill.

Why I think there will be someone besides the crew on the ship is because anyone (and I verified) can log into carnival.com and try to add a 1 day Ecstasy cruise on that sail date to your list of cruises, I'm thinking if you had a valid booking number you could.

Enter the appropriate ship name and voila! A one day cruise on Jan 9 is available. :eek::cool:

e_repo.jpg

Even if there was a violation (which I doubt), and the appropriate authority fined Carnival (have my doubts there, too), I don't think Carnival would bat an eye at paying $300pp for the goodwill.

Why I think there will be someone besides the crew on the ship is because anyone (and I verified) can log into carnival.com and try to add a 1 day Ecstasy cruise on that sail date to your list of cruises, I'm thinking if you had a valid booking number you could.

Enter the appropriate ship name and voila! A one day cruise on Jan 9 is available. :eek::cool:

e_repo.jpg

Just came back from Carnival.com and there is nothing showing for the Ecstasy for January 9th.

Also checked out a couple of other TA sites and nothing.

You took a screen shot of a drop down box. How does that verify there is a bookable cruise?

Could you take a screen shot of the Carnival page where it shows the actual booking page?

There is certainly a violation. You can't take pax from Port Canaveral and let them off in Miami.

How much do you think this cruise would be if it was legal? Probably not over $300pp.

Your assertion that Carnival wouldn't bat an eye paying $300pp for breaking the law out of goodwill is ridiculous.

Bill

Just came back from Carnival.com and there is nothing showing for the Ecstasy for January 9th.

Also checked out a couple of other TA sites and nothing.

You took a screen shot of a drop down box. How does that verify there is a bookable cruise?

Could you take a screen shot of the Carnival page where it shows the actual booking page?

There is certainly a violation. You can't take pax from Port Canaveral and let them off in Miami.

How much do you think this cruise would be if it was legal? Probably not over $300pp.

Your assertion that Carnival wouldn't bat an eye paying $300pp for breaking the law out of goodwill is ridiculous.

Bill

Do you have a carnival.com account? Did you log in? If both then I would you suggest you contact carnival for assistance.

Because that's how the law is written and interpreted. From CBP at http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trade/legal/informed_compliance_pubs/pvsa_icp.ctt/pvsa_icp.pdf:

Generally, a passenger is any person carried on a vessel who is not directly and substantially connected with the operation of such vessel, her navigation, ownership, or business. CBP has held that individuals engaged in charter party fishing are passengers, as are travel agents, marketing and sales personnel, and conventioneers, among others.

In order for a person not to be considered a passenger, the connection between that person transported and the vessel must be direct and substantial.

It goes on to give more specific examples of who are passengers vs. crew. Passengers (as defined above) cannot be on a repositioning cruise that leaves from and arrives at different US ports (notwithstanding a current exemption for Puerto Rico) without calling on a distant foreign port. Nor can passengers or cruiselines intentionally pre-plan an itinerary that violates the PVSA and then pay the $300 fine to get out of it.

Because that's how the law is written and interpreted. From CBP at http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trade/legal/informed_compliance_pubs/pvsa_icp.ctt/pvsa_icp.pdf:

Generally, a passenger is any person carried on a vessel who is not directly and substantially connected with the operation of such vessel, her navigation, ownership, or business. CBP has held that individuals engaged in charter party fishing are passengers, as are travel agents, marketing and sales personnel, and conventioneers, among others.

In order for a person not to be considered a passenger, the connection between that person transported and the vessel must be direct and substantial.

It goes on to give more specific examples of who are passengers vs. crew. Passengers (as defined above) cannot be on a repositioning cruise that leaves from and arrives at different US ports (notwithstanding a current exemption for Puerto Rico) without calling on a distant foreign port. Nor can passengers or cruiselines intentionally pre-plan an itinerary that violates the PVSA and then pay the $300 fine to get out of it.

I don't pretend to be an attorney (that's what relatives are for), but the fact remains that the sail date is available when you try to add it to My Cruise.

Do you have a carnival.com account? Did you log in? If both then I would you suggest you contact carnival for assistance.

To answer your questions. Yes I have an account and yes I was logged in.

I did call Carnival and they said there is no sailing on January 9th that is available. To go one step further I asked if it was sold out and they said no that there is nothing in the system for that date.

Bill

You must admit if this is in error it wouldn't be the first time there was a hitch in the giddy-up of the carnival.com booking engine, right?

You mean like the person who posted yesterday about booking a Junior suite at the price he saw on the computer?

The poster said they called Carnival and was told that rate did not exist.

That poster said they took a picture of the screen and sent it to Carnival but again was told there is no such rate for that category.

Bill

To answer your questions. Yes I have an account and yes I was logged in.

I did call Carnival and they said there is no sailing on January 9th that is available. To go one step further I asked if it was sold out and they said no that there is nothing in the system for that date.

Bill

By definition a non-revenue sailing is not something Carnival sells. I'm not surprised they wouldn't let you buy it.

Bill

That's so Carnival. Call back and talk with another agent :D :eek:

j/k I believe you!

It sounded like you were having trouble locating the sail date to add the cruise to your bookings. I was thinking more of website support. Just trying to be helpful. :)

So in post #32 when I said I was at Carnival.com and other TA sites trying to book it you thought I was having website issues, and now that I posted back that i called Carnival and they said you can't book it you are not surprised.:eek:

Thanks for the help anyway.:)

Bill

My point was that it looked like you could add the sailing, if you had a valid booking number. Even if non-revenue, there would be booking numbers, but it wouldn't be something you could purchase.

When closer to the sail date, maybe there will be a press release or something.

Oh, and you're welcome. :)

My point was that it looked like you could add the sailing, if you had a valid booking number. Even if non-revenue, there would be booking numbers, but it wouldn't be something you could purchase.

When closer to the sail date, maybe there will be a press release or something.

Oh, and you're welcome. :)

So how would that work? If you already have a booking number you could add it and go free?

Bill

Archived