Compensation - Millennium Alaska - Interrupted and Canceled Cruises

sandyss

What are the dates and conditions on your FCC?

Language from the certificate ...

Booking Conditions:

* Applicable to all categories and price programs except Loyalty Reunion Cruises, Complimentary Cruises, Interline, T/A Reduced Rate, Individual and Group Incentive, and Charter sailings. Applicable to individual and group bookings to cruise fare only. Not applicable to shore excursions, tour packages, or other personal charges. Guest is responsible for taxes and fees where applicable.

* One certificate per person, per booking, and valid only for the person noted on the certificate. Excludes Xpedition unless you were on an Xpedition sailing.

* If credit is applied to a booking of lesser value, the difference will not be carried to another booking and it will be considered as used.

* Cruise must be taken by 09/30/2014 and not redeemable for inaugural or holiday sailings.

* Valid only for the cruise brand shown above (Celebrity Cruises).

* As are all requests for reservations, the offered space is subject to availability, and from time to time, itineraries may be altered or services on a specific ship may be discontinued. Certain restrictions apply.

* Non-transferable and may not be redeemed for cash.

Is it separated out on the invoice?

No - I asked to see and they said no such item exists!!!!

Does the cruise line show it in their advertising?

No in fact I pointed out that in my package it talked about getting a free upgrade from 2C to C2 category. Nothing at all about any other discount on the overall cruise price. Yes I would be happy if I was only compensated for a 2C.

Does X offer a land tour only for price comparison?

No I specifically asked this when it was suggested early on by someone from Costco and Celebrity stated more then once they do not sell land only tours. You can only by the land tour with the cruise package.

Celebrity doesn't sell land tours individually but Princess does. Unfortunately they don't have their 2014 rates up yet. Last year when I went through princess on a tour that was 6 night and 7 days coupled with a 7 night cruise the land portion would have been 70% of the total cost.

I would expect that since Celebrity outsources most of their services for land tours what you are seeing is exactly how they show the accounting on their books.

I've learned a lot from this thread and through this cancellation process. Just as I assumed that my travel insurance would cover a common carrier (cruise line) mechanical failure, I also assumed people who were on a cruise tour would have a more balanced refund of the two parts of their trip. It seems to me that the more fair thing to customers would have been to use the cost difference between cruise only and cruise tour at the time of booking to determine the value of the components and base refunds and FCC's on that figure.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they didn't look at the numbers that way, but I would be very disappointed if I was in that boat. I completely understand those of you who are soured on Celebrity and won't consider them again. Under the circumstances, I think the cruise line's financial decision shows little concern for the huge impact this had on people, even taking into account full refunds and FCC's. If the compensation doesn't approach the cost of the cruise, or allow someone the opportunity to try to recreate their botched vacation without paying thousands more, then it really is inadequate. JMO.

Aug 16th refund status:

Received call from Celebrity on 10-9 to verify my extra expenses and get CC number to issue refund. Told it would not hit CC until next week. I asked about FCC issuance and deadline to use and was told that if booked by exp date is OK but they did not want to reprint the FCCs. On Friday, 11th, received 2 FCC certs, 1 for myself, 1 for DW, for full amount paid for cabin split between the 2 of us.

* One certificate per person, per booking, and valid only for the person noted on the certificate. Excludes Xpedition unless you were on an Xpedition sailing.

They never replied to my email about the airline change fee refund. So I called and someone was able to find my email. They said since we hadn't left home yet for our August 23rd cruise, they would only refund for the change fee associated with one leg of our air travel, and not both.

Has anyone else been able to get them to refund change fee for both legs?

I only filed for the return airfare change because Air Canada charges $200.00 per ticket to change....that was our return flight back to LA.....I will eat the $75.00 per ticket that Alaska charged us; never asked Celebrity to pay it as their "limit" was $200.00 per person.......will post here when I receive something.......

I only filed for the return airfare change because Air Canada charges $200.00 per ticket to change....that was our return flight back to LA.....I will eat the $75.00 per ticket that Alaska charged us; never asked Celebrity to pay it as their "limit" was $200.00 per person.......will post here when I receive something.......

While still on board the 16/08 sailing we were advised the $200 had been dropped so you may find they will pay that as well.

We finally received our FCCs yesterday and our refund appeared on my CC today. Still have to e-mail in our meal expenses for our 2 days in Vancouver. Our air change was actually covered by our travel insurance. Our TA discussed with the insurance company and Air Canada and determined that it was easier to abandoned our flight home and book a new one as it was covered under our policy.

Our refund and FCC took seems to have taken so long as our TA booked our cruise through another agency rather than direct. In future I think we will ensure our TA books direct with the cruise line. Seems from what I have read on this board that those who did had their refund weeks ago.

While still on board the 16/08 sailing we were advised the $200 had been dropped so you may find they will pay that as well.

We finally received our FCCs yesterday and our refund appeared on my CC today. Still have to e-mail in our meal expenses for our 2 days in Vancouver. Our air change was actually covered by our travel insurance. Our TA discussed with the insurance company and Air Canada and determined that it was easier to abandoned our flight home and book a new one as it was covered under our policy.

Our refund and FCC took seems to have taken so long as our TA booked our cruise through another agency rather than direct. In future I think we will ensure our TA books direct with the cruise line. Seems from what I have read on this board that those who did had their refund weeks ago.

Pardon my typos....based on what one the reps on board told us they had altered the policy to allow change fees over $200. We asked because we noticed that had been dropped in one of the later letters delivered to our cabin.

Aug 16th refund status:

Received call from Celebrity on 10-9 to verify my extra expenses and get CC number to issue refund. Told it would not hit CC until next week. I asked about FCC issuance and deadline to use and was told that if booked by exp date is OK but they did not want to reprint the FCCs. On Friday, 11th, received 2 FCC certs, 1 for myself, 1 for DW, for full amount paid for cabin split between the 2 of us.

Did your FCC match your refund or was it slightly less?

Our FCC's work out a couple hundred less than our refund even when we subtract the taxes refunded onboard.

Our FCC's work out a couple hundred less than our refund even when we subtract the taxes refunded onboard.

My FCC matched my refund exactly.

The amount was the full cruise fare (not including taxes and fees).

Taxes and fees were left for me to pay (approx $286).

I couldn't agree more. Celebrity is STILL lying... FCC different for all of us on the exact same cruise due to land portion?? really?? Charge us to get the same type room next year to go on a cruise to use our CC.. WHAT! I didn't have an obstruction on 8/9 cruise why would you give me that room next year on a different ship....???? We are going back to Alaska to finish what we started... NO airfare consideration.. (oh well).. and the final slap.. a couple on our group was told they were getting xyz back while on the ship, got another quote once home IN WRITING, received their voucher and it was MUCH less than either. Celebrity told them THIS IS ALL YOUR GETTING .... it doesn't matter what you have in writing.... we will not honor it.. Luckily our credit card company got involved and we have been refunded in whole (except for air).. Now they may take it back and we are still counting down the days until they won't. But 3 couples in our group are fully refunded.. I will use my FCC to finish our Alaska cruise, albeit NOT on Millennium.. and I will NEVER use Celebrity again... and I am a travel agent who will advise clients to stay away... Sorry Celebrity.. your actions have spoken volumes... and like the previous poster said... do not tell me how I should feel about this experience, the way it was handled, and the way Celebrity has handled this entire situation...

The only thing I have not received yet for my cancelled 9/13 cruise is the promised 25% FCC. I have been assured I can apply it to my May Connie Baltic booking when it arrives, so I am content to wait. All told, I didn't think the refund and reimbursement period was unreasonable...I had everything by approximately my scheduled sailing date, so it took about three weeks. That includes my air change fee reimbursement, which was posted to my credit card on September 10th.

I found everyone I spoke with to be pleasant and patient, although not all were helpful. In hindsight, I wonder if I called too soon. I was on the phone with Celebrity as soon as they opened the morning after I learned of the cancellation here on CC. My preference would have been to have them help me transfer the funds to another sailing, but I was told that was impossible. I later found out several people from my roll call were able to do just that.

An interesting note about communication -- I sent a letter (by e-mail) to Michael Bayley's office, and copied the letter to RCCL Corporate (Richard Fain), Celebrity Guest Relations, and the Captain's Club. I received a call within hours from the RCCL CEO's office, but so far only silence from Celebrity.

I hope everyone who is still struggling to get their refunds and expenses reimbursed can close out this chapter in their cruise history soon!

Cindy, I basically feel tbe same way you do about everything. Can you give me the email addresesfor RCCL and Celebrity? Thanks!

Cindy, I basically feel tbe same way you do about everything. Can you give me the email addresesfor RCCL and Celebrity? Thanks!

I used:

contactmichael@celebrity.com -- Michael Bayley

rfain@rccl.com -- Richard Fain

captainsclub@celebrity.com

celebrityguestrelations@celebritycruises.com

I got a phone call from an executive assistant in Richard Fain's office, but I never heard anything back on any of the three e-mails I sent to Celebrity. I received an auto-acknowledgement after they were received, but that was all.

Matched exactly.

Still waiting for Extra expenses to post to CC. TA had to do something on their end for the cruise refund to post. Hopefully it will post in the next few days so I do not have to call the TA again.

I couldn't agree more. Celebrity is STILL lying... FCC different for all of us on the exact same cruise due to land portion?? really?? Charge us to get the same type room next year to go on a cruise to use our CC.. WHAT! I didn't have an obstruction on 8/9 cruise why would you give me that room next year on a different ship....???? We are going back to Alaska to finish what we started... NO airfare consideration.. (oh well).. and the final slap.. a couple on our group was told they were getting xyz back while on the ship, got another quote once home IN WRITING, received their voucher and it was MUCH less than either. Celebrity told them THIS IS ALL YOUR GETTING .... it doesn't matter what you have in writing.... we will not honor it.. Luckily our credit card company got involved and we have been refunded in whole (except for air).. Now they may take it back and we are still counting down the days until they won't. But 3 couples in our group are fully refunded.. I will use my FCC to finish our Alaska cruise, albeit NOT on Millennium.. and I will NEVER use Celebrity again... and I am a travel agent who will advise clients to stay away... Sorry Celebrity.. your actions have spoken volumes... and like the previous poster said... do not tell me how I should feel about this experience, the way it was handled, and the way Celebrity has handled this entire situation...

Are you sure those who say they didn't get the right amount back for the FCC didn't take into account the taxes, port charges and non commissionable? Didn't they give the same percentage to everyone? What is their reason for the disputed amount if it is a percentage of what you paid?

Edited by Jade13

For those following my Celebrity drama with the Costco Cruise tour. While Celebrity president ignored my e-mail, the executives at Costco didn't and seemed to agree Celebrity's claim that my concierge level room only cost me $1075 a room was bogus.

After two weeks of negotiating with Celebrity with various proposals they wouldn't budge. So Costco travel decided to refund their commission of $868 in the form of a Costco cash card.

So Costco kept their rep in my book and Celebrity/RCCL lost lots of future business.

Not that it matters but to date no Captain Club credit or FCC from Celebrity although they claimed to Costco those were sent out on September 19th.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Wow. I would have thought they would have given the FCC on the full cruise/tour.

I used:

contactmichael@celebrity.com -- Michael Bayley

rfain@rccl.com -- Richard Fain

captainsclub@celebrity.com

celebrityguestrelations@celebritycruises.com

I got a phone call from an executive assistant in Richard Fain's office, but I never heard anything back on any of the three e-mails I sent to Celebrity. I received an auto-acknowledgement after they were received, but that was all.

Did better then me Cindy. I wrote to all 3 and the officers of Costco. I heard back from Costco but not from RCCL or Celebrity except for the ack e-mail from Celebrity.

From the 8/16 sailing, I have received all of my refunds for the cruise fare paid (we had a cruise only and the refund was exactly the amount I expected less a small portion of the taxes). Seems odd to me that X doesn't eat the cost of all of the taxes themselves, but we only ended up paying about $100/pp.

I met with our travel agent on 9/17 and then she submitted our paperwork for the reimbursement for our travel expenses to get home after X flew us to Vancouver. Haven't seen anything yet. Really crossing my fingers that goes through without a hitch - we had booked an air/pre-cruise hotel package, not through X, which was nonrefundable/noncancellable airfare. That meant that our TA had no choice but to get us one-way tickets from Vancouver to Minneapolis...~$750/pp! She's got paperwork to support that expense, but I will breath much easier after I've been reimbursed for it.

No FCC certificate yet, but we've got a stateroom booked on the 6/20 sailing to give this itinerary another shot. This was our first time cruising and our first time to Alaska...I'd really like to get more than 100 miles into the state next time!

Update: Our FCC arrived over the weekend and was exactly the amount of our cruise fare refund received earlier. Same "expiration" as others have mentioned (9/30/2014). Does anybody know if I will get my deposit back that has already been paid to reserve a stateroom for next summer? I hope so!

Just got off the phone with the rep assigned to our case and she is sending our stuff to accounting for reimbursement - all expenses approved including our crazy airfare! It was quite annoying though that I had left my cell number as a call-back number multiple times (including on a fax cover sheet and confirmed with more than one rep while on the phone), yet they called and left a message at our home number. At least things are hopefully coming to closure soon for this experience!

My biggest hope now is that I do not have to sit through the "hold commercials" anymore on the phone. Those 3 looping commercials that repeat every minute are certainly getting annoying. How about some nice music mixed in, Celebrity?

Does anybody know if I will get my deposit back that has already been paid to reserve a stateroom for next summer? I hope so!

Sorry - the fine print on the front of the FCC says: "Certificate value may not be deducted from the deposit amount."

Sorry - the fine print on the front of the FCC says: "Certificate value may not be deducted from the deposit amount."

Our TA has told us that the Celebrity rep she is dealing with for our new booking has assured her that we can use the FCC towards our deposit for our rebooked sailing next summer.

Our TA has told us that the Celebrity rep she is dealing with for our new booking has assured her that we can use the FCC towards our deposit for our rebooked sailing next summer.

I did a booking while still on the 8/16 sailing (to get the additional OBC and ability to add a promotion later). I'm hoping that I can get the deposit back since my new fare (before deposit) is lower than the amount of my FCC. Hopefully it isn't just that you could use the FCC towards a truly "new" booking where no deposit was paid prior to the issuance of FCC.

I guess I still get the additional OBC and promotion add, but I'd really like my deposit back also!

Has anyone received air fair rebooking charges for arrangements made by themselves as promised? It has now been almost two months since I submitted. Also have never seen by future cruise certificate.

I have called twice and each time I have been told they are working on them and will be contacted soon.

Yesterday a friend called wanting to go a celebrity cruise with us. I told them until this issue is resolved I have no desire to cruise with them again.

Just got back from a replacement cruise for our cancelled Celebrity. Loved it food better than Celebrity, entertainment better and ship (sapphire princess) equal. All in all a cruise very similar to Celebrity.

I am starting to believe that this issue will never get resolved.

I received my full expenses last week. I booked a new flight from Vancouver to anchorage son we could do our land trip and they fully covered that additional flight.

They are doing them but people that get hold of the right person on the phone are getting them expedited

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app