Military "Mess Dress"

theheartbreakkid

Hey, I'm a Canadian, and our Head of State is Her Majesty. She would expect you to wear your formal military gear to dinner for a formal dinner. That's good enough for me, and Her Majesty.

Our Mum taught us table manners by telling us to behave as if we were having dinner with the Queen. It's a standard you can't go wrong with.

There's no such thing as being too well-mannered or too well-dressed.

It makes me tear up just to think about it ... maybe it IS an age thing. Pause while I wipe my eyes. I think the problem comes with laziness. It is easier not to say or do things but we need to actively teach the young ones that they need to respect the uniform and all it stands for. Educate them. I really like the idea someone said ages ago - say "thank you for your service" and how some of the Vietnam war veterans had never heard it. I make a point when I see someone showing they are a veteran (and old) of saying thank you just so that they know people still care.

I can honestly say that I don't think I could do what we ask of our service people. Living for months away from their family in a hostile situation. It takes very special people. Then you have people that are Seals and such. Wow, I mean WOW! I have a brother that served in the Army (Warrant Officer) and one that served in the Air Force - as well as my husband being in the Air Force. Their jobs were not in high risk areas but they did do some amazing things during their service.

I was at Costco one day and there was a father and son. Son was about 8 to 10 YOs old. Without obvious prodding, he walked up to an older gentlemen wearing a vet hat, shook his hand and said "thank you for your service". I almost lost it and I think the veteran did too. Hats off to the father for teaching his son.

-------------------------------------------------

You wonderful people are very inspiring! Thank you for the comments :). When I was training at school at the VA in Martinez, I would bring my brother along with me and he would put some time in the volunteer office. Each morning it was the students responsibility to draw blood from the patients before going down to class. I was was always the last one down to class because I'd take a few minutes talking to the Veterans. They would tell me of the places they visited and tell me funny stories. These wonderful men who experienced great pain and seen horrific things.. they just needed someone to talk to, they're lonely.. they have no family.

I remember a time when one elderly man wouldn't let anyone draw his blood except me. Some patients are just hard to get blood from - but I'd pray and hope I could get a blood specimen... i was just lucky I guess. One morning when I did my rounds.. he wasn't in is bed anymore.. he passed away. It was a sad morning, but it gave me comfort to know that I was someone's little ray of sunshine for a short time.

We are from a family of seamen, our father a merchant marine... I think my brother's volunteer time at the VA hospital was a big factor in his decision to join the Navy.

My brother will wear his Navy uniform with great pride, give honor to those on the cruise who made many sacrifices before him, enjoy his time trading stories with the old vets and show them respect.. it's because that's how we are.

For serving RCN personnel, the direction in the dress manual is a bit wooly and vague. It states mess dress is worn at mess dinners, other formal mess functions, and service and civilian occasions where formal attire would be deemed appropriate, for example, formal receptions, dinners and weddings which occur in the evening. Personally I think formal dining onboard would qualify, but I suppose I can always double-check with the cox'n.

Edited by Jackytar

Ha ha! I'd love to hear the cox'n's opinion.

However, the event is clearly-described in the ship's event calendar as "Formal Dinner." Moreover, the ship's Captain is usually out and about on these evenings, and he's wearing his formal dress uniform, so we know what the Captain thinks is appropriate.

Edited by wassup4565

However, the event is clearly-described in the ship's event calendar as "Formal Dinner." Moreover, the ship's Captain is usually out and about on these evenings, and he's wearing his formal dress uniform, so we know what the Captain thinks is appropriate.

True enough, though I am, of course, bound by the Navy's dress regs, not by what the QM2's skipper thinks. That said, your point is the one I'll be running past my cox'n and knowing him, I'm pretty sure I know the answer already :)

One thing I am going to mention for the benefit of retired Canadian military pers on these boards - do bear in mind that our dress regs are sharply different from US in terms of whether retired pers may wear mess or any other order of uniform. Make sure you check the current version of A-AD-265-000/AG-001 Canadian Forces Dress Instructions for guidance.

Edited by Jackytar

Follow-up: Asked him, he said "Go for it - but if you look like a bag of hammers, I'll hang you when you get back." :)

It makes me tear up just to think about it ... maybe it IS an age thing. Pause while I wipe my eyes. I think the problem comes with laziness. It is easier not to say or do things but we need to actively teach the young ones that they need to respect the uniform and all it stands for. Educate them. I really like the idea someone said ages ago - say "thank you for your service" and how some of the Vietnam war veterans had never heard it. I make a point when I see someone showing they are a veteran (and old) of saying thank you just so that they know people still care.

I can honestly say that I don't think I could do what we ask of our service people. Living for months away from their family in a hostile situation. It takes very special people. Then you have people that are Seals and such. Wow, I mean WOW! I have a brother that served in the Army (Warrant Officer) and one that served in the Air Force - as well as my husband being in the Air Force. Their jobs were not in high risk areas but they did do some amazing things during their service.

I was at Costco one day and there was a father and son. Son was about 8 to 10 YOs old. Without obvious prodding, he walked up to an older gentlemen wearing a vet hat, shook his hand and said "thank you for your service". I almost lost it and I think the veteran did too. Hats off to the father for teaching his son.

I had this very similar thing happen to me, and yes, it almost brought me to tears. After more than 40 years, it was not what I was expecting. Of course, my heroes were WWII veterans and I have always been in awe of them.

I always very grateful, and proud, that our military are able to wear their uniforms with pride, regardless of nationality.

Edited by LarryL

he does clean up well. we also have another Tartan on order.. the official US Navy Plaid from when we had a base at Edsel. I'd love for it to be ready before our next cruise in April.

I didn't know the USN has it's own official tartan pattern. Not so the RCN, I'm afraid. In Canada, only the RCAF and specific army regiments affiliated or derived from UK highland regiments have tartans.

If at some time in the future our paths should cross at sea, this old seadog will be happy to buy a libation for you both and swap a couple of salty dips :)

I had this very similar thing happen to me, and yes, it almost brought me to tears. After more than 40 years, it was not what I was expecting. Of course, my heroes were WWII veterans and I have always been in awe of them.

I always very grateful, and proud, that our military are able to wear their uniforms with pride, regardless of nationality.

Speaking as one, thank you. As a general rule, Canadians don't go in much for thanking military personnel for their service, so it kind of floored me the first time someone did :)

Edited by Jackytar

Have a cruise booked with my buddies when we get back from a tour in Afghanistan but US Air Force regulations (AFI 36-2903) prohibit members from wearing the uniform (including formal mess dress) unless for official military duties. Other branches have different regulations but it's not okay for Air Force. Often times you'll see the ABU's in airports, this is okay if you're traveling on orders, but most people will wear it traveling on ordinary leave to get the perks (front of the line, upgrades, etc.) which is unauthorized but I don't see why we can't proudly wear the uniform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk