What makes DCL worth more money than other lines?

Susiecruisey

Love the Disny brand. Visit DL often and have a great time when DW an I cruise together on DCL. We won't pay a hefty premium though. We did that once and it was NOT worth the extra cash. If you can get a Disney ship for a little more, do it. If it is a lot more, skip it.

We found the shows on the larger RCCL ships to be better than on DCL. Service was about the same and DW preferred RCCL food to DCL, while I preferred DCL.

Point being, there are too many variables to make generic comparisons across the entire line. RCCL has far more ships that offer vastly different experiences while DCL has four ships and attempt to provide a similar experience across the entire line, even though there is a significant difference between the larger and smaller ships in their fleet.

The midst important consideration is what fits your desire for a vacation experience best. Nobody else can answer that question for you.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a closed subject. In fact, its a very open subject, with lots of 'discussion'. And if you read all the previous posts, you would see that it has been discussed over and over again.... yes we know nothing on the cruise is 'free', included the soda. You pay for all of it.. yes everyone knows that, it's a 'joke' when they call it 'FREE SODA!!'

Hence the "siiiggghhhhhh"

Okay. I have never cruised before, but I travel a lot for work and have done some international travel. I am scheduled to sail on the Disney Dream in April 2014. I have no personal experience with any line, but I am puzzled by something that I never see discussed in these comparisons. I have done a lot of online research which included viewing pictures of the different ships, decor and furnishings. Hardly anyone ever mentions the differences in the apparent quality of the furnishings and decor between the different lines. In addition to the mention of Disney service and entertainment, I always see comparisons of the tangible items such as what is included, what other lines charge for and etc.

From what I've seen, Carnival appears motel cheap, where Disney looks more upscale and elegant. RCCL looks like it falls somewhere in the middle. This alone would suggest that higher pricing is warranted in addition to what others have already mentioned. People don't expect to stay at a Ritz-Carlton for Motel 6 prices do they? Now I am not suggesting that Disney is on the same level as the Ritz, I am just making a point. It just seems that the overall difference in quality is blatant when viewing pictures online. Also, I see people trying to minimize the fact that Disney has larger staterooms by stating that they are only in there to sleep, so they don't care about the stateroom sizes. Well I would like to have nice accommodations where my family of 4 can have a little breathing room without being on top of each other. I priced out rooms on other lines and I would need at least a Jr. suite or a regular suite in order to get the same space as I can get with a Deluxe Family Oceanview room on Disney. When I see some of the sleeping configurations of some of the rooms on other lines, I get claustrophobic just looking at the pictures. It just seems so obvious that you are paying more for quality on top of what everyone has already mentioned. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

...... What am I missing? ....

I don't think you are missing anything. We feel you are accurate. In fact, the Fantasy is like the Ritz, but at sea. :D Haven't been on the Dream, but I know now I prefer art nouveau over art deco. lol.

And the stateroom observation is correct too IMO. And with all these discounted, although restricted, *GT rates coming out after PIF lately, DCL is in line or less than others this fall. :) Wish we had more flexibilty with the schedules and lived closer to PC.

All the things you mentioned is how we ended up on DCL, well and the free soda. ;)

Enjoy

Okay. I have never cruised before, but I travel a lot for work and have done some international travel. I am scheduled to sail on the Disney Dream in April 2014. I have no personal experience with any line, but I am puzzled by something that I never see discussed in these comparisons. I have done a lot of online research which included viewing pictures of the different ships, decor and furnishings. Hardly anyone ever mentions the differences in the apparent quality of the furnishings and decor between the different lines. In addition to the mention of Disney service and entertainment, I always see comparisons of the tangible items such as what is included, what other lines charge for and etc.

From what I've seen, Carnival appears motel cheap, where Disney looks more upscale and elegant. RCCL looks like it falls somewhere in the middle. This alone would suggest that higher pricing is warranted in addition to what others have already mentioned. People don't expect to stay at a Ritz-Carlton for Motel 6 prices do they? Now I am not suggesting that Disney is on the same level as the Ritz, I am just making a point. It just seems that the overall difference in quality is blatant when viewing pictures online. Also, I see people trying to minimize the fact that Disney has larger staterooms by stating that they are only in there to sleep, so they don't care about the stateroom sizes. Well I would like to have nice accommodations where my family of 4 can have a little breathing room without being on top of each other. I priced out rooms on other lines and I would need at least a Jr. suite or a regular suite in order to get the same space as I can get with a Deluxe Family Oceanview room on Disney. When I see some of the sleeping configurations of some of the rooms on other lines, I get claustrophobic just looking at the pictures. It just seems so obvious that you are paying more for quality on top of what everyone has already mentioned. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I found the beds on the Carnival Dream to be more comfortable than the beds on the Disney Dream. It's far from "motel 6".

The inside cabins on the Disney dream 169-200 square feet but my inside on Carnival (which included a Porthole!) was 220 square feet.

(Other cruises I've done with my mother who is in a wheelchair and we've had HA cabins and it's not fair to compare those sizes because they vary greatly by size, set up and placement on the ship).

I've also had great service on Carnival and RCCL and haven't seen much of a difference between the cruiselines in that respect (good and not so good employees on each ship and cruise line).

My CCL Dream experience wasn't a good one, though I can't complain about the ship as much as the rude and unfriendly crew. Seems to me that we had 3 of us on the Conquest last year and had room to put up all our clothes for all 3 of us. This year in the Dream, I still had to live out of a suitcase after I unpacked my husband (just 2 of us this time). It didn't have as much drawers and spaces to store clothes (even in the closets) as the Conquest did, which is a smaller ship. We were also in a spa interior, so I don't know of that makes a difference.

Unless you are in a swanky room, you will never, never, never, never convince me that CCL has better bathrooms and showers than Disney. Never in a million years. I can't even say how many times I dropped my razors, conditioners and shampoos. No shelves, nothing but a sticky shower curtain and a metal bar on the floor that served to 'separate' your shower from your bathroom. (Which did NOT work. Our floors were soaked all the time.) The Disney staterooms had a split bath (I realize not all of these have split baths) which was awesome for the 3 of us, but even still without a split bath, we get a TUB! With a tub, I now have places to put my shampoos and conditioners (and I have hair past my hips! I need a lot of conditioner especially after pools and salt water) and a place to shave and put my razors. The thought of another CCL interior bathroom makes me literally cringe. (Not one word about their 'shampoo' and 'body wash' dispensers...eghh.....)

The poster is correct that the quality is MUCH better for staterooms for Disney, who realizes they will have more families than spring breakers crashing in a room together. Sorry if that seems blunt. I will say as a minus, on the DCL Dream, the couch sleeping arrangement was VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. We pulled down the bunk instead (and loved the peter pan stars too!) and it was much more comfortable. So minus points there for the awful couch bed. Otherwise the mattress on our queen bed was fine, as good as the CCL Dream although the fluffy comforter may have slept a bit hot for my husband's tastes.

Anyone who thinks a low-mid level interior on any CCL (even the Dream) can compare to any interior on a DCL is either a guy with next to no hair who doesn't care about the shower and has packed hardly anything, or is either kidding themselves. And in no way does the decor compare. No way jose. The cheap motel art and flat bed spreads etc. The orange carpets. There just is no way they compare on a decorative level. And while that isn't the most important thing to me, it IS nice, and as some posters point out, they want nice arrangements, not just a place to crash.

I also will add that our CCL Dream veranda had a coffee table which made bringing food down and room service MUCH easier than balancing it on the bed or the small desk with our CCL. Not sure if all their rooms have a table, but I think so.

I realize I have a bias against CCL at this point, but no one can argue with those points above. Unless you are paying for a GREAT room on CCL (And my parents always got a nice suite or something and YES it was GREAT!) than you aren't getting anything remotely as nice as any DCL room.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

My CCL Dream experience wasn't a good one, though I can't complain about the ship as much as the rude and unfriendly crew. Seems to me that we had 3 of us on the Conquest last year and had room to put up all our clothes for all 3 of us. This year in the Dream, I still had to live out of a suitcase after I unpacked my husband (just 2 of us this time). It didn't have as much drawers and spaces to store clothes (even in the closets) as the Conquest did, which is a smaller ship. We were also in a spa interior, so I don't know of that makes a difference.

Unless you are in a swanky room, you will never, never, never, never convince me that CCL has better bathrooms and showers than Disney. Never in a million years. I can't even say how many times I dropped my razors, conditioners and shampoos. No shelves, nothing but a sticky shower curtain and a metal bar on the floor that served to 'separate' your shower from your bathroom. (Which did NOT work. Our floors were soaked all the time.) The Disney staterooms had a split bath (I realize not all of these have split baths) which was awesome for the 3 of us, but even still without a split bath, we get a TUB! With a tub, I now have places to put my shampoos and conditioners (and I have hair past my hips! I need a lot of conditioner especially after pools and salt water) and a place to shave and put my razors. The thought of another CCL interior bathroom makes me literally cringe. (Not one word about their 'shampoo' and 'body wash' dispensers...eghh.....)

The poster is correct that the quality is MUCH better for staterooms for Disney, who realizes they will have more families than spring breakers crashing in a room together. Sorry if that seems blunt. I will say as a minus, on the DCL Dream, the couch sleeping arrangement was VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. We pulled down the bunk instead (and loved the peter pan stars too!) and it was much more comfortable. So minus points there for the awful couch bed. Otherwise the mattress on our queen bed was fine, as good as the CCL Dream although the fluffy comforter may have slept a bit hot for my husband's tastes.

Anyone who thinks a low-mid level interior on any CCL (even the Dream) can compare to any interior on a DCL is either a guy with next to no hair who doesn't care about the shower and has packed hardly anything, or is either kidding themselves. And in no way does the decor compare. No way jose. The cheap motel art and flat bed spreads etc. The orange carpets. There just is no way they compare on a decorative level. And while that isn't the most important thing to me, it IS nice, and as some posters point out, they want nice arrangements, not just a place to crash.

I also will add that our CCL Dream veranda had a coffee table which made bringing food down and room service MUCH easier than balancing it on the bed or the small desk with our CCL. Not sure if all their rooms have a table, but I think so.

I realize I have a bias against CCL at this point, but no one can argue with those points above. Unless you are paying for a GREAT room on CCL (And my parents always got a nice suite or something and YES it was GREAT!) than you aren't getting anything remotely as nice as any DCL room.

Totally off topic, but I just met you over on the DIS boards. :cool:

As they say, It's a Small World!

I am a woman and my hair was extremely long when I cruised on Carnival (just donated 14 inches of hair to locks of love last month) and I never had a problem with the showers on Carnival. No sticking shower curtains, no run-overs onto the shower floor. And I was travelling with a teenager for 2 weeks and we had plenty of luggage - and found space for everything.

And I'm not "kidding myself" either - just because my opinion differs from yours.

I've never had a cabin on DCL with the split bath or a tub (though most cabins do have these, I've never had one due to the HA cabins).

And on Carnival, our comforters were large, white and extremely fluffy. So I don't know what ship you were on where yours where you had a flat bed spread?

carnivalcruise149.jpg

I easiest way to settle this discussion it to just wonder over to the Carnival Inc. forum and read the continuing negative comments and rants about the reductions in service, food, entertainment etc. etc., etc.

The only ones happy seem to be the folks that are more interested in getting the cheapest cruise possible and are willing to give up all of the above to get cheap cruises.

Not to mention the safely and mechanical issues that continue to plague Carnival line and other lines under the Carnival Banner.

While every one is entitled to their opinions, its a really impossible position to defend in saying Carnival is just as good as DCL or really any other line I know of.

Just my opinion, :D backed up by the facts and history of Carnival Inc.

AKK

I easiest way to settle this discussion it to just wonder over to the Carnival Inc. forum and read the continuing negative comments and rants about the reductions in service' date=' food, entertainment etc. etc., etc.

The only ones happy seem to be the folks that are more interested in getting the cheapest cruise possible and are willing to give up all of the above to get cheap cruises.

Not to mention the safely and mechanical issues that continue to plague Carnival line and other lines under the Carnival Banner.

While every one is entitled to their opinions, its a really impossible position to defend in saying Carnival is just as good as DCL or really any other line I know of.

Just my opinion, :D backed up by the facts and history of Carnival Inc.

AKK[/quote']

Good points, well made!

There on a downwards circle.

Poor reputation > less bookings > fares down to lowest in industry.

With income cut > cut services > cut food, > cut entertainment.

And they hope no one will notice.

I am a woman and my hair was extremely long when I cruised on Carnival (just donated 14 inches of hair to locks of love last month) and I never had a problem with the showers on Carnival. No sticking shower curtains, no run-overs onto the shower floor. And I was travelling with a teenager for 2 weeks and we had plenty of luggage - and found space for everything.

And I'm not "kidding myself" either - just because my opinion differs from yours.

I've never had a cabin on DCL with the split bath or a tub (though most cabins do have these, I've never had one due to the HA cabins).

And on Carnival, our comforters were large, white and extremely fluffy. So I don't know what ship you were on where yours where you had a flat bed spread?

carnivalcruise149.jpg

As stated, the Dream. Maybe ours was put up but Im really jealous looking at the photo....

Is the HA the usual room you request? (Not just were given by DC? And cruise HA with CCL too?)

If you have long hair, you know that you can't use just the cheap shampoo in the dispenser. So where did you put your conditioner? I dropped my stuff constantly trying to balance it on the shower handle... I can guarantee that if you had a HA shower, it would have been NOTHING like ours... Definitely not enough space for that so I don't think we can compare them and HA isn't the norm. And sorry about not having a tub on DCL but as mentioned, if you have to have HA, I don't understand that comment.... since they can't really offer an roll in HA tub?

So maybe you aren't a dude with no hair, and aren't kidding yourself, but an HA room is going to be much roomier than your typical interior. We love it when we get HA rooms in hotels. But they aren't the norm...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Comparing to RCCL, the food was much better, the cabin in much better condition, and the service was much better on DCL than RCCL. I also preferred the overall atmosphere. We felt nickle and dimed to death on RCCL.

I completely disagree. I think the food on RCCL is equal to Disney's. My cabins on RCCL have always been equally clean and in excellent condition. The concierge service on Disney is better then RCCL but worse than NCL. As far as nickeled and dimed the only thing I have found as an extra on RCCL is soda which is free on Disney. Other than that I have found the same things that cost extra on RCCL are also extra on Disney. Maybe its because I sail on the newer RCCL ships. I can also say that the Oasis and Allure ships have more restaurants, more night clubs, more shows and more shopping then any Disney ship. Of course they are almost double the size. The only reason we cruise Disney is because we love Cataway Cay and we have a 6 year old who loves everything Disney. If it was just the two of us I am guessing we would stick to RCCL for 80% of our cruise dollars. Still would do Disney once every few years just for Castaway Cay. But to answer the original question "what makes Disney worth the extra money" my answer is nothing makes it worth more. However to some people the excellence of the Disney brand and the Disney theme & characters give them the warm fuzzy feeling that is hard to put a price on. However Disney does put a premium price on it in the cruise business and it seems to be what the market will bear. I think most of their ships sail full.

Edited by e2011

As stated, the Dream. Maybe ours was put up but Im really jealous looking at the photo....

Is the HA the usual room you request? (Not just were given by DC? And cruise HA with CCL too?)

If you have long hair, you know that you can't use just the cheap shampoo in the dispenser. So where did you put your conditioner? I dropped my stuff constantly trying to balance it on the shower handle... I can guarantee that if you had a HA shower, it would have been NOTHING like ours... Definitely not enough space for that so I don't think we can compare them and HA isn't the norm. And sorry about not having a tub on DCL but as mentioned, if you have to have HA, I don't understand that comment.... since they can't really offer an roll in HA tub?

So maybe you aren't a dude with no hair, and aren't kidding yourself, but an HA room is going to be much roomier than your typical interior. We love it when we get HA rooms in hotels. But they aren't the norm...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

My first two times on the Dream were not in HA cabins (we're not assigned them - we need them when I travel with my mother - it's my god daughter pictured above and that cruise was for her birthday so a regular, inside cabin is what I purchased - deck 1, porthole cabin 1206 I think).

We had a little corner shelf in our shower with a bar across it, enough to hold the small travel bottles of shampoo and conditioner I brought.

I completely disagree. I think the food on RCCL is equal to Disney's. My cabins on RCCL have always been equally clean and in excellent condition. The concierge service on Disney is better then RCCL but worse than NCL. As far as nickeled and dimed the only thing I have found as an extra on RCCL is soda which is free on Disney. Other than that I have found the same things that cost extra on RCCL are also extra on Disney.

I agree - when we sailed on the Explorer of the seas earlier this year I didn't feel "nickeled and dimed".

We had pre-purchased the soda package (so online it showed up as part of our cruise fare) and the cups were waiting for us in the cabin. It made the experience the same - actually wait, purchasing the soda package on RCCL was BETTER than the "included" soda on DCL because we could go anywhere that served soda and get one (not just in the dining rooms and the drink station) - any bar or club we could order a soda and not have to pay extra. Plus they had soda machines on both deck 5 outside the Promenade cafe and in the buffet on Deck 10. And did I mention that they had the freestyle machines with over 100 choices?

Our other expenses on that cruise was dinner at the specialty restaurant, a few alcholic drinks, bottled water for the cabin and shopping at the onboard stores (the same things we would pay extra for on DCL).

My first two times on the Dream were not in HA cabins (we're not assigned them - we need them when I travel with my mother - it's my god daughter pictured above and that cruise was for her birthday so a regular, inside cabin is what I purchased - deck 1, porthole cabin 1206 I think).

We had a little corner shelf in our shower with a bar across it, enough to hold the small travel bottles of shampoo and conditioner I brought.

I promise I'm not picking on you! But how can a regular, inside cabin, have a porthole? That would make it an oceanview, would it not? Our actual interior rooms did not have shelves in the shower, not on any CCL that I can remember, but most definitely not on the last one even though it was a spa room (where I spent half my showers picking stuff up that continually fell from my trying to balance it on the wall dispenser or the shower handle.)

The rooms are not equal to Disney, not when you compare base room to base room...

I promise I'm not picking on you! But how can a regular, inside cabin, have a porthole? That would make it an oceanview, would it not? Our actual interior rooms did not have shelves in the shower, not on any CCL that I can remember, but most definitely not on the last one even though it was a spa room (where I spent half my showers picking stuff up that continually fell from my trying to balance it on the wall dispenser or the shower handle.)

The rooms are not equal to Disney, not when you compare base room to base room...

On Carnival, they categorize porthole cabins as inside cabins (other than the 1A's they are actually the least expensive on the ship). Oceanview cabins on Carnival have actual windows (not portholes).

We like Disney World. We wanted to take a Disney cruise so we booked one. We know it is three times the price of Carnival cruises and a little more than RCCL.

I have read that the shops on board Disney ships are very pricy.

We chose Carnival over RCCL because in our opinion it has better entertainment, food, cabins and service.

We are waiting to see if the service is much better than other lines. I think it will be difficult. We will find out.

I thought it was interesting that Disney allowed for us to make a reservation without a deposit. We had three days to make the deposit. Other lines require a deposit at the time of booking.

I also noticed that the customer service for Disney is not 24 hours a day as with other lines.

We are expecting to have a fun time and will find out the difference when we sail.

Welcome NearTheBeach.

I like that DCL allows you to place a hold on it and think about it for a few days. I also like that they are the only cruise line with a BYOWhatever policy, and they also allow you to reserve excursions without paying for them upfront. First time that I've seen that, because every other cruise line charges your credit card the full amount for the tour to reserve it. If you don't cancel it within 3 days of the excursion, it will come off of your on board credit (which was fine for us, as we did the Sea Lions in Nassau and had an incredible day. They have an exclusive on that so you can't book it anywhere else, not even with the island.)

Welcome to DCL. I am glad you have had better experiences on CCL than I have (this was a really bad year for them, I won't be back for a long, long time) and to me, DCL and CCL are about on opposite sides of the spectrum. We can book a 4 day awesome fun filled cruise for the same as our 7 day CCL, add a day or two in Orlando and have a great trip, so that's what we plan to do. I will be interested in how you compare your trips!

Happy cruising.

I completely disagree. I think the food on RCCL is equal to Disney's. My cabins on RCCL have always been equally clean and in excellent condition. The concierge service on Disney is better then RCCL but worse than NCL. As far as nickeled and dimed the only thing I have found as an extra on RCCL is soda which is free on Disney. Other than that I have found the same things that cost extra on RCCL are also extra on Disney. Maybe its because I sail on the newer RCCL ships. I can also say that the Oasis and Allure ships have more restaurants, more night clubs, more shows and more shopping then any Disney ship. Of course they are almost double the size. The only reason we cruise Disney is because we love Cataway Cay and we have a 6 year old who loves everything Disney. If it was just the two of us I am guessing we would stick to RCCL for 80% of our cruise dollars. Still would do Disney once every few years just for Castaway Cay. But to answer the original question "what makes Disney worth the extra money" my answer is nothing makes it worth more. However to some people the excellence of the Disney brand and the Disney theme & characters give them the warm fuzzy feeling that is hard to put a price on. However Disney does put a premium price on it in the cruise business and it seems to be what the market will bear. I think most of their ships sail full.

We had multiple problems with our cabin on RCCL. The food was so terrible that we ate almost every dinner in the alternate restaurants. We were sailing with RCCL die hards who also said the food was terrible.

Concierge service was almost nil, we were given inaccurate information and no special perks.

Their private island was terrible when we were there--flies all over the lunch spread. We went back to the ship at noon, had lunch and spent the rest of the day by the pool.

I spent $8000 on our cruise fare for three, and had the worst vacation of my life. On top of that, it took three letters and finally a call to their public relations department with a threat to go to the Conde Nast Ombudsman to get a response, when I did they gave us unusable certificates for a very substantial amount of another cruise. But as I said, unusable due to the restrictions placed on them. Never again.

I would rather spend a little more money and know that I will get a significantly better experience.

We had multiple problems with our cabin on RCCL. The food was so terrible that we ate almost every dinner in the alternate restaurants. We were sailing with RCCL die hards who also said the food was terrible.

Concierge service was almost nil, we were given inaccurate information and no special perks.

Their private island was terrible when we were there--flies all over the lunch spread. We went back to the ship at noon, had lunch and spent the rest of the day by the pool.

I spent $8000 on our cruise fare for three, and had the worst vacation of my life. On top of that, it took three letters and finally a call to their public relations department with a threat to go to the Conde Nast Ombudsman to get a

response, when I did they gave us unusable certificates for a very substantial amount of another cruise. But as I said, unusable due to the restrictions placed on them. Never again.

I would rather spend a little more money and know that I will get a significantly better experience.

That is horrible. I have never had such an experience on any cruise line! And the only room problem I have had was on our Disney Dream cruise a few weeks ago. Not enough a/c but we had a good time anyway!