3 y/o in RCI Adventure Ocean

JinxyB

I'm booked on Allure OTS next year and my son will be 3 years and 3 months at the time of sailing. He is currently potty trained during the day and wears a pull-up at night. Per RCI website: All children participating in Adventure Ocean activities are required to be 3 years of age, 100% toilet trained and diaper and pull-up free.

I'm worried my son will not be able to wipe himself fully if he has to have a bowel movement while at Adventure Ocean. We are working on this now, and have about 6 months before we sail...but will he be able to participate if he can't wipe? (I guess that is not 100% potty-trained if he can't wipe, so maybe I am answering my own question). Sorry if that's gross, but I want to make sure the counselors will accept him into the program. He has been on Carnival where they allow 2 y/o and change diapers, etc. Does Adventure Ocean have scheduled bathroom breaks for the little kids? My son is pretty good about going to the potty when he has to go, but sometimes needs prompting when he is playing hard, etc.

Thanks for any advice!

I can tell you that the Royal Babies & Tots nursery staff assisted my son when he needed to use the restroom on previous cruises on Allure and Oasis. He was potty trained quite early and they helped him with his clothing and handwashing. I don't recall if there was occasion for 'wiping' but I'm confident they would have helped him if the need arose. The restrooms for kids on those ships are extremely child friendly too. Everything is at their level and they have the smaller potty seat in addition to the regular size seat built in to the toilet.

Just off the 8/18 Freedom...the adventure Oceanstaff are pretty amazing. I've seen them help kids who had an accident. I'm not positive that they do wiping but assistance with wiping doesn't mean he is not potty trained. My 5 yr old needs assistance with wiping. I'd suggest you let them know if he has trouble to call you. I do not think they will turn him away. No harm in running out of dinner to wipe real good and come back. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked this question many months ago because I too was paranoid about my daughter using the restroom in AO. She turns 3 the day of our sailing.....and lucky us.....she potty trained herself back in May. I was concerned that she wouldn't be able to pull up her own pants or be able to wipe. I'm a first time mom and I really knew nothing about potty training or the bathroom capabilities of a 3 year old. we now know she can pull up her own pants and that she does a good job at wiping #1....but #2 is a whole other story. Mommy still takes care of that.

Responses from parents were basically that AO staff will not assist children in the bathroom. At this point I'm just hoping she doesn't have to poop while in AO...:o

Is your son comfortable going #2 on a toilet he is not familiar with? We have noticed with our daughter that she usually only goes when she is at home.

Chicky2181, I'm hoping my son does not have to poop while he is in AO either! He has pooped in a public toilet twice, but is most comfortable at home. He can pull his pants up and down. Think I will just encourage him to poop while in our cabin! Would you mind posting your experience with AO when you come back? I'm interested in how a young 3 y/o does...my son will be 3 years and 3 months when we go!

We had our 3 year old in Adventure Ocean on Adventure of the Seas early this year. She was potty trained, but isn't good at wiping number 2. She wasn't in Adventure Ocean too much- only a couple times for a few hours. She did go no. 2 once, and either she didn't ask for help or they refused to help, because her underwear was dirty (for lack of a better term).

• 2 weeks later...
Chicky2181, I'm hoping my son does not have to poop while he is in AO either! He has pooped in a public toilet twice, but is most comfortable at home. He can pull his pants up and down. Think I will just encourage him to poop while in our cabin! Would you mind posting your experience with AO when you come back? I'm interested in how a young 3 y/o does...my son will be 3 years and 3 months when we go!

Hi JinxyB,

We just returned and our daughter had a blast. She would wake up every morning and beg to go to the "book club"......we asked why she called it a book club and she said "cause there's books there". LOL

After she was there for one hour on the first day they were open we received a call that she had an accident and needed to be picked up. I was SHOCKED! She has been potty trained for 6 months and has never, not even once, had an accident. She said she was having too much fun and couldn't make it to the toilet. I was nervous that this was going to be a reoccurring theme and eventually she would be asked not to return. However, she had no issues for the rest of the cruise. I didn't see the toilets first hand because they do not let adults in to the room, but my daughter said they were "tiny toilets" and had no problem using them. She did have a bowel movement one day and she was very excited to tell me how she "wiped all by myself!" Which was very evident by the stain left in her underwear. LOL

I'm sure your son will be fine in the kids club. They gave us a phone so that they could call us if there was a problem and so that we could check in with them. I thought that was a nice touch.

I found all but one AO staff to be absolutely amazing with her!!!

We were just on board Allure last week with our 3.5 yo. I didn't ask about wiping but they claimed they ask the kids every 15 minutes if they need to use the restroom.

They do give you a phone for the younger ones but for some reason do not give you the charging cord so you have to take it in for a battery change if the battery is low. Previously, when using the nursery, we were given a box containing the charger & phone.

Hi Chicky2181,

Thank you so much for telling me your experience! I am so glad your daughter had a great time in AO! Pretty funny about the underwear...I have already discovered "skid marks" in my son's underwear LOL! I hope my son looks forward to going to AO!

Archived