Marseille to Aix En Provence

neesy11

Hi folks

First time cruisers going on the Norwegian Epic in a couple of weeks. We are arriving in Marseille port and we were going to book the ship tour to Aix but it only goes in the afternoon for a few hours and we would prefer to go in the morning.

I've been reading on here that it seems to be easy enough to travel into the centre by train but could anybody link up a fool proof guide for us of where to get train or bus etc with a rough idea of costs.

Many Thanks

Hi folks

First time cruisers going on the Norwegian Epic in a couple of weeks. We are arriving in Marseille port and we were going to book the ship tour to Aix but it only goes in the afternoon for a few hours and we would prefer to go in the morning.

I've been reading on here that it seems to be easy enough to travel into the centre by train but could anybody link up a fool proof guide for us of where to get train or bus etc with a rough idea of costs.

Many Thanks

Hi, it is a very easy trip via bus to Aix. Take the free shuttle (white bus) from the ship. Don't get the NCL $12 shuttle as the free bus is just at the left when you get off the ship. Free bus runs up to 5:30 pm. It takes you to J1 entrance of the port. From there, it's about 5 min walk to metro station (Jolliette). Take the metro €1.50 to St. Charles (2 stops only) where the bus station is. I just can't remember the bus no to Aix but you can ask the tourist info at the bus station and they will tell you what gate it is. You can pay the bus driver directly €5.60. Bus ride is only 20 mins to Aix with free wifi. :)

Ask the bus driver before you get off the bus what gate no is the bus back to Marseille. I believe it's gate 12 though. Bus runs often which is very nice.

The bus stop is walking distance to Aix city center. There is a petite train too to take you around. We didn't take that though. We just walked around and explored this lovely town.

Enjoy your trip! Let me know if you have any questions about other ports and ill be happy to help. :)

No problem! Glad to be of help! I know how it is to research ports. Did it before and promised to pay forward with our experience. When are you cruising?

Next Sunday 22nd from Barcelona. Can't wait but there's a lot of planning needed for it but hopefully we're almost there, just need to have a final look at getting to Rome and Pisa and that's us :)

We took a guided bus tour of Rome from Civitavechia for €34. But that was a hectic one. I wouldn't recommend that if you don't want to be rushed. In case you want to take that, I think it is cheaper to get it there on the day itself. Just ride the provided NCL shuttle and when you get off the bus, you'll see people offering last minute tours to Rome. Those people who took that were with us on the same tour. Or if you want, just take the train to San Pietro. I think the train is just walking distance from where you get off the bus (not 100% sure). My friend did that as he already been to Rome many times and just went shopping. He said the train took him about 45 mins and the ticket including metro is €12.

For Pisa, we took a tour with visitpompeii. That included a private car the whole day, guided tour of Pompeii and a visit to Positano and Sorrento. We loved this tour! 9 hrs is just too short!

Re the Marseille-Aix shuttle bus: in my experience it usually takes about 30-40 minutes, not 20. Obviously it depends on traffic and the time of day. Also, be advised Aix bus station is currently being renovated - it's in the usual place but more chaotic than usual. Still, it's an easy commute and the service is very frequent.

Archived