Where to do Beginning Scuba?

CruisingCatherine

My DH and I are taking a RCCL Mexican Riviera cruise in February for our 15th Anniversary. My DH has always wanted to go Scuba Diving. Which is the best Port to do Beginning Scuba? Any recommendations for a specific dive site would be fabulous! Thanks for all your help!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best thing to do is take the dive course at home, along with the pool dives and then you can take your dives in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo. I checked into doing it in the Caribbean and you couldn't get both your dives in one day because the ship wasn't in port long enough or something like that. You also don't want to spend all your time on the ship doing a scuba class if it only gets you a resort certification and you won't be able to dive after the trip without getting certified again. If you have a Sport Chalet or some store like that check with them for classes.

Misty

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully there will be someone else reading this thread that will be able to answer the original question. I am not a certified diver and have done the "beginner" scuba dive on 4 cruises (all in the Caribbean). It is a wonderful way to experience scuba diving without paying big bucks for equipment and lessons at home and then not being able to make use of it very often.

I too, would like to know the best place of the 3 ports (Cabo, PV, Mazatlan) to "beginner scuba". Hopefully there is one that is good because there's a big enjoyment difference if the water is clear versus mucky and whether there are cool things to see. The best experience we had was the last one where we were taken down about 40 feet to an old shipwreck. The water was beautifully clear and was very exciting and fun.

We will be on the 10-day out of SF on the Dawn Princess at the end of November/05 and I haven't explored yet what Princess beginning scuba excursions are offered. If they don't have any and anyone knows of a reputable outfit close to the ship ports that offers this, please let me (and CruisingCatherine) know. :)

Thanks!!!

Archived